Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...next to the Ten Commandments statue at the State capitol..

[color:#3333FF]Link...![/color][/b]

Satanists plan statue to stand alongside Ten Commandments in Oklahoma.

In their zeal to tout their faith in the public square, conservatives in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a wide range of religious groups, including Satanists who are seeking to put their own statue next to a Ten Commandments monument outside the statehouse.

The Republican-controlled legislature in the state known as the buckle of the Bible Belt authorised the privately funded Ten Commandments monument in 2009. It was placed on the Capitol grounds last year despite criticism from legal experts, who questioned its constitutionality. The Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit seeking its removal.

But the New York-based Satanic Temple saw an opportunity. It notified the state's Capitol Preservation Commission that it wants to donate a monument and plans to submit one of several possible designs this month, said Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the temple.

"We believe that all monuments should be in good taste and consistent with community standards," Greaves wrote in letter to state officials. "Our proposed monument, as an homage to the historic/literary Satan, will certainly abide by these guidelines."

Greaves said one potential design involves a pentagram, a satanic symbol, while another is meant to be an interactive display for children. He said he expects the monument, if approved by Oklahoma officials, would cost about $20,000.

The Republican state representative Mike Ritze, who spearheaded the push for the Ten Commandments monument and whose family helped pay the $10,000 for its construction, declined to comment on the Satanic Temple's effort, but Greaves credited Ritze for opening the door to his group's proposal.

"He's helping a satanic agenda grow more than any of us possibly could," Greaves said. "You don't walk around and see too many satanic temples around, but when you open the door to public spaces for us, that's when you're going to see us."

The Oklahoma legislature has taken other steps that many believe blur the line that divides church and state. The House speaker said he wants to build a chapel inside the Capitol to celebrate Oklahoma's "Judeo-Christian heritage". Several lawmakers have said they want to allow nativity scenes and other religious-themed symbols in public schools.

The Republican representative Bobby Cleveland, who plans to introduce one such bill next year, said many Christians feel they are under attack as a result of political correctness. He dismissed the notion of Satanists erecting a monument at the Capitol.

"I think these Satanists are a different group," Cleveland said. "You put them under the nut category."

Brady Henderson, the legal director for ACLU Oklahoma, said if state officials allow one type of religious expression, they must allow alternative forms of expression, although he said a better solution might be to allow none at all on state property.

"We would prefer to see Oklahoma's government officials work to faithfully serve our communities and improve the lives of Oklahomans instead of erecting granite monuments to show us all how righteous they are," Henderson said. "But if the Ten Commandments, with its overtly Christian message, is allowed to stay at the Capitol, the Satanic Temple's proposed monument cannot be rejected because of its different religious viewpoint."

[b]I'm all for it as long as their Satan statue looks like the Jon Lovitz satan...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This country was founded on Christian values, not satanic ones.

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now just HOW did that satan statue get demolished last night?? Darn, we need to watch for these things better! wink

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

That may not be true according to the resident expert on these matters.

George Washington worshiped Satan. shocked

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Oh yes very true but the sad part is this may happen with all this PC BS in the country anymore , how christian does our current comander and cheif seem ?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm sorry, but some people just need the schit beat out of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

Just throwing this out there....If the government allows a statue to be placed on government land for Christianity, how can they not allow a statue to be placed for another religion?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I worship high country huckleberries. I look forward to the day I can erect a monument espousing the virtue of huckleberry worship.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Just throwing this out there....If the government allows a statue to be placed on government land for Christianity, how can they not allow a statue to be placed for another religion?

And to preempt the "The 10 Commandments are for Christians and we're Christians and we've always been Christians" argument....

The 10 Commandments were part of the Jewish law, not the Christian law. Unless you're keeping the Sabbath holy, the big ten AREN'T your religion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whew

For a minute I thought the Masons were gettin rowdy again

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm sure you'll hear plenty of non-religious reasons why not, right here. smirk

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by fish head

That may not be true according to the resident expert on these matters.

George Washington worshiped Satan. shocked
Show me where I said all members of Freemasonry worship Satan. I said that the secret society of Freemasonry did so, i.e., that was its purpose, i.e., to inculcate occult practices and beliefs into Christian society, disguised as Christian practices and beliefs, only gradually having their cloak removed as one advances through the higher levels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Too late...

Christmas is a Federal Holiday and has been for decades.

Just throwing that out there....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Show me where I said all members of Freemasonry worship Satan.

Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Does Masonry conflict with Christianity in any way.?
Well, since they worship Satan, I'd say so, yes.

There's a lodge just a few blocks from my home, and I pass it on my daily walks.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Show me where I said all members of Freemasonry worship Satan. I said that the secret society of Freemasonry did so, i.e., that was its purpose, i.e., to inculcate occult practices and beliefs into Christian society, disguised as Christian practices and beliefs, only gradually having their cloak removed as one advances through the higher levels.

Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Does Masonry conflict with Christianity in any way.?
Well, since they worship Satan, I'd say so, yes.

Page 1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Too late...

Allowing people to take off work to do whatever they want isn't the same as promoting a particular religion by placing a statue of a particular religion on government property.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Saturday i was up in prescott for the annual courthouse square christmas lighting ceremony. Been going on for over 60years. Real big attempts in recent years to shut it down because of religious connotations. Hasn't worked. I will have you know people en masse were singing christian christmas carols and songs all over the place ON COUNTY PROPERTY.
And hopefully will for many more years.
One of the songs was, LET IT SNOW! You guessed it, started snowing.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tjm and dw, you can about bet some primordial boolean logic is being formulated.

"I didn't say all; the word 'they' can mean all or some."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Too late...

Allowing people to take off work to do whatever they want isn't the same as promoting a particular religion by placing a statue of a particular religion on government property.

The government shuts down for the observance of Christmas, a Christian Holiday.

It doesn't shut down for Hanukkah, Eid al-Fitr or Vesak.

Trying to explain it away as comp time is a little humorous, but if that works for you run with it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shhhhhhhhhh������

Zero will start shutting down for Kwanzaa�..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
573 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.