Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Shrapnel:

How about an optical comparison of how these 2 perform, not
considering the RF.

Some are thinking Leica will be bringing out a new line
of binoculars with the Perger prism.

How is the glass?

I believe this may be innovative enough to incorporate the Perger Porro prism into other optics as the technology progresses. It is not cheap but it does have advantages over the roof prism technology.

That said, I still haven't noticed the "WOW" factor I did with the Swarovision optics. There also may be an aspect of the difference from the EL optics to the Swarovision optics was more of a contrast than the Swarovision compared to the HD-B.

The optics of the HD-B are not disappointing, just hard to compare measuring them to the Swarovision. I still need the opportunity to use them in more varied conditions which comes from the use during hunting season...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I re-arranged my photobucket account and re posted the pictures here...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just got done using my HDB's for nearly two weeks hunting first antelope, then elk and deer. They are keepers for sure. Now, if Swarovski would come out with Swarovision optics in a BRF I might have to give those a run.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Up for any additional comments on these.

Just finished an elk hunt, I think the difference between my miss and a better chance at a hit (all happened VERY quick) would be having some rangefinding binos. No digging in my pocket for a range finder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my Swaro EL Range. I have the 10x version and have used them for 2 hunting seasons. I kept my 10x42 EL HD's for the first year as I thought they were better, if just by a hair. I eventually caved and sold them as the Range binocs were 98-99% as good to my eyes. I picked up the Leicas one time and decided they were too big and heavy for my taste. I'm a Swaro slut anyway.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ditto on the EL Range. I've been using the 8X and 10X for a year now and still get that "holy sh**" feeling every time I look thru them. I've ranged over 1900 yards with them!

I'm now trying to decide which to keep. Someone on the campfire might have a very merry Christmas. HINT

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
I love my Swaro EL Range. I have the 10x version and have used them for 2 hunting seasons. I kept my 10x42 EL HD's for the first year as I thought they were better, if just by a hair. I eventually caved and sold them as the Range binocs were 98-99% as good to my eyes. I picked up the Leicas one time and decided they were too big and heavy for my taste. I'm a Swaro slut anyway.

+1. I bought the Leicas and have since traded them away. I still prefer the Swarovskis. In addition, the Customer Service on the Leicas is always being questioned.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Would be interested in comparing these two to the Zeiss Victory 10x45 RF, as I'm quite impressed with my Victory 10x42's.

Thanks!

I have the Zeiss Victory 8x45 T* RF. The range finder is pretty awesome, ranging up to 1,600 yds. with repeatable consistency.

The glass is very good, but doesn't have the "awe factor" of a top end Swaro.

DF

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am for now, keeping the Leica. The optics are superb, the rangefinder is a bit better than Swarovski. Swarovski CS is much better than Leica but I have never had to use either in all my optics. 2 out of 3 isn't bad for the Leica.

If Swarovski puts Swarovision into their RF binos, the Leica will be up for sale, instantly...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never owned a swaro binocular. but I will say everytime I look through the EL's I am like holy crap these are the best you can buy. I have used geovids for year and am willing to give up some optical performance, for a RF under my finger. swaro for some reason knows how to make binoculars better than anyone depite being a much smaller company than the other 2.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I pity anyone trying to get rid of their Leica, with no warranty.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The EL Range is an absolutely superb setup.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If Swarovski puts Swarovision into their RF binos

While I'm saving, I hope this happens...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Have been using my swar 10x40slc along with the leica hd b. all day today i went back to the swaro to more clearly define the object i was viewing.. The leica seem to wash the image slightly, the swaro semed to transmit slightly more vivid color. The swaro is more comfortable fits my face better and focuses quickly.. Th leica has slightly larger eyecups which do no fit my eye socket and require me to pull the cups off my eye sockets to close the binocs close enought to get a full field. Just my beady eyed facial structure.
I adjusted diopters several times to see if i could improve the leica . Just didn't quite do it. Rangefinder did well to about a 1000 yds, snow white cold ground aggravated the readings somewhat. Had a hard time consistentlt ranging cattle at mid range 800 yd to 1000.
I do not like the fact the holdover value is only to the whole number in the leica.. Their charts are to the decimal, the binoculars are not.. .5 moa is 2.5 inches at 500 yds.
They are easy to program and operate the menu.
The objective lens covers are shallow and do not stay on under the slightest movement. Everytime i pick them up the cups are off.
That said i do really like the leica hd b just diappointed in the glass.
Given i was comparing non ranging swaro to the leica hdb
Ps. Have now discovered leica can beprogrammed in 1/4 moa,1/3moa and 1 moa.

Last edited by foogle; 12/12/13.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I pity anyone trying to get rid of their Leica, with no warranty.

I have never had a problem selling them. The previous owners name can be used for warranty purposes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

369 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,127
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.