Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hi all, finally got my hands on the 99, in 303 Savage, from fellow member here Johno . Did some hand loads for it and had some fun the other evening. My question regarding these old rifles is about windage adjustment for the sights.
I'm assuming that you'd drift the fore sight to make corrections for POI with the tang sights. Is this correct? As I'm not overly familiar with these old tang sights.
What's the lever on the LH side of the sight for as well while I'm here?
Your help is greatly appreciated too, thanks guys.

FYI, 31gns of AR2208 (Varget to you) under a 150gh Sierra FN works very nicely.

Cheers,
Aussielad.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
drifting the front sight works but is obviously hard to be precise. Others have shimmed one side of the tang sight.

The lever is a lock... you can lock the sight down or up.

Andrew
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if your 99 is a one that has a dovetail front sight then go ahead and move it if you need to .some of the 99's have fixed front sights. for these model's lyman built a windage adjustable model tang sight I believe is a model 2 1/2 ?? I've used them before and they work ok but have a pretty good price tag.
I have a williams tang model on my hunting rifle and I really like
it. it has lots of adjustment they're cheap too. you can also use a lyman# 57 like the 99RS came with. redfield made a sight like the lyman 57 but I forget the model

plab

Gotta love them 303's
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Yes, the front sight is dovetailed. Forgot to mention that. The blade is brass, and is actually pretty drab at the moment. It does make getting a sight picture a bit difficult against a darker background. Any recommendations? ie, polish it, or put a dab of paint on it? I'll try to get some pics posted up later on.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by lovemy99

The lever is a lock... you can lock the sight down or up.

Thankyou.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Plab
if your 99 is a one that has a dovetail front sight then go ahead and move it if you need to .some of the 99's have fixed front sights. for these model's lyman built a windage adjustable model tang sight I believe is a model 2 1/2 ?? I've used them before and they work ok but have a pretty good price tag.
I have a williams tang model on my hunting rifle and I really like
it. it has lots of adjustment they're cheap too. you can also use a lyman# 57 like the 99RS came with. redfield made a sight like the lyman 57 but I forget the model

plab

The windage adjustable tang sights were Lyman 29 1/2s or 30 1/2s.

The RS never came with a Lyman 57... this was why I recommended that people try not to learn too much from the recent post. RSs only were ever sold with Lyman 30 1/2s and later Redfield 70LHs.

Originally Posted by AussieLad
Yes, the front sight is dovetailed. Forgot to mention that. The blade is brass, and is actually pretty drab at the moment. It does make getting a sight picture a bit difficult against a darker background. Any recommendations? ie, polish it, or put a dab of paint on it? I'll try to get some pics posted up later on.

Is the front sight drab brass or "German Silver" ? Either paint or polish will help... paint probably better than polish but does not really look "right" on an old 1899. I've seen many use their wife's red finger nail polish!

Andrew
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The RS never came with a Lyman 57... this was why I recommended that people try not to learn too much from the recent post. RSs only were ever sold with Lyman 30 1/2s and later Redfield 70LHs.

Don't believe anybody in that thread ever said a thing about Lyman 57's on RS's.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
As promised, here's some pics.

[Linked Image]
Serial#

[Linked Image]
Fore sight

[Linked Image]

Folding rear sight. Can anyone tell me if the "arrow" indent on the leaf was once painted?

[Linked Image]
Action/Stock and tang sight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my bad on the lyman numbers should got the book out to look the numbers up mind ain't what it used to be.. but I think he got the drift

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That front sight sure looks like a Sheard. Might be hard to move after all the years in place. I'd try shimming under the base of the tang sight first.

Not sure which fold down sight that is. does it have just the one leaf? That indent was likely white at one time.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a 2 leaf sight, Mike. To my eye, looks just like the #12 leaf sight in the 1900 catalog - price $1.

And, yes, it would have had a white triangle at one time.

Page 40 on this:
http://stevespages.com/pdf/savage1899.pdf

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mike the rear sight is a lyman 6B. I left it on for Troy when I sold the rifle to him as it was on it when I got it. He's going to have a lot more time to enjoy it than I would have

Johno

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Don't believe anybody in that thread ever said a thing about Lyman 57's on RS's.

The gun that started the post apparently had a Lyman 57 on it and there were a few mentions of Lyman 57s in the thread and just a lot of confusing information and people saying things like "the gun is legit" Someone without the knowledge to understand what was being said and separating the facts from the opinions could have been lead far astray from the entire thread... all I was saying...

Andrew
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think you need to go reread that thread. I couldn't find that anybody was saying the gun was a legit RS when I just reread it. And nobody said a Lyman 57 was legit on an RS. Steve said it wasn't an RS, I said it wasn't an RS, somebody else flat out said it was an R that had a Lyman 57 put on it.

There WAS talk about when RS's switched from Lyman to Redfield, but nobody was talking Lyman 57 - though we didn't explicitly say Lyman 30 1/2. I think you were reading Lyman 57 into that, and yes, a newbie without Murray's might have missed that we were talking Lyman 30 1/2's.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 68 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.