Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
http://www.lathropandsons.com/cevedale-tech-light-hunter-gtx-lowa.html

Good bit of discussion on this boot over at Rokslide. Wanted to bring up a thread here to see if anyone has something to share.

Looking for a new boot for next season. Went to REI to try on some Lowa boots, and it looks like I will be a 12. Usually wear an 11.5, but could feel the very tips of a few toes touching the end. Going up a half size in Lowa's seems to be the norm.

Input on this boot or the Lowa brand in general?

If REI had these in a 12, I'd buy these at the discount instead. Don't imagine there is much of a difference, but not in my size...

http://www.rei.com/product/866338/lowa-cevedale-gtx-mountaineering-boots-mens-2012-closeout

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[url=http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lowa-cevedale-gore-tex-mountaineering-boots-waterproof-for-men~p~2234g/?filterString=mens-boots~d~137%2FLowa~b~12795%2F&colorFamily=01#][/url]

Sierra trading post... promocode SITEROCK1213 and you can get them for about 220 free shipping... only have bright blue or lime green in your size.

Don't know why I can't get a link to work.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have two pairs of Lowas, one older mid hiking I can't remember the model name, banff or something like that missing vowels... and a 10in desert style boot that I wear mostly now. They work fine for my hunting in rough Az.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the intended purpose for the boot?

It's going to be stiffer than heck.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
What's the intended purpose for the boot?

It's going to be stiffer than heck.

I have a pair....and they are still much like the Lowa Sheephunter GTX I like. Personally I only wear boots for actual hunting in the mountains. I run Salomon Speedcrosses for my summer and early fall escapades.

I have a pair of the Lowa Tech Hunters and so far they are a great boot, but I only have less than 10 miles on 'em at this point so time will tell. I knew my feet liked the Lowa Sheephunters or Hunter GTXs so thought I'd try to save some weight there.

Brad,

They are stiff but I find I prefer a boot that is fairly rigid for my mountain hunts atleast. Probably not for everyone.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rigid boots tear my feet up, but everyone's different. You just have to know your feet. For mostly vertical with crampon's they'd work for my feet. Mountain hunting, no way.

But my feet don't tolerate the Lowa Sheephunters.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rigid boots tear my feet up, but everyone's different. You just have to know your feet. For mostly vertical with crampon's they'd work for my feet. Mountain hunting, no way.

But my feet don't tolerate the Lowa Sheephunters.

Yep, like I said won't work for everyone and if Lowa Sheephunters don't agree with your feet these Tech Hunters likely won't either IMO as they both fit me like a glove. laugh

Like ya said, all about knowing what works for you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just picked on a pair of Lowa Baltoro's on closeout... I wanted a non-goretex boot with a leather liner for summer backpacking, and the Baltoro's fit the bill, besides getting them for nearly 60% off ($113) at REI. They're a nice soft boot for these feet.

My feet are my Achilles heel (pun intended)... I just can't do most boots so it makes it pretty tough to find boots. Then, of course if I find something that works, it's sure to be discontinued. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the looks of that L&S offering! Might have to go that route for my next pair. Those or some Hanwags are probably in my future. Thanks for the heads up!

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Good discussion here.

My use for these are mountain hunting. I believe I need a stiffer boot than what I used this past year. I had problems with my foot rolling and not being supported enough on side hills. Down and up were ok. Going to try this stiffer boot and see what I think.

Was able to use a Sierra Trading Post code to get them down to $167.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't have this boot but have two other Lowa's and have been extremely impressed with them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer
I like the looks of that L&S offering! Might have to go that route for my next pair. Those or some Hanwags are probably in my future. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm wondering why no one has mentioned these boots on the forum this year... if I didn't have my Crispi's Hunters I'd be trying these before all the stiff offerings from the likes of Lowa, Hanwag, etc.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Perfekt-Extreme-400-Gram-Hunting-Boots-by-Meindl/1632151.uts

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Good discussion here.

My use for these are mountain hunting. I believe I need a stiffer boot than what I used this past year. I had problems with my foot rolling and not being supported enough on side hills. Down and up were ok. Going to try this stiffer boot and see what I think.

Was able to use a Sierra Trading Post code to get them down to $167.

At that price you could unload them if they don't work. I certainly get wanting more ankle support, but that doesn't necessarily mean a substantially stiffer boot... too stiff can create as many problems as not stiff enough.

All boots take a lot of experimentation and no one can tell you what will work for your feet... just give general ideas.

Good luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found those 400 gram Perfekts too high for me. That, and Meindls fit my heels really poorly.

I'm breaking in a pair of Lowa Tibet GTXs and really like them so far.

Tanner

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tanner
I found those 400 gram Perfekts too high for me. That, and Meindls fit my heels really poorly.

I'm breaking in a pair of Lowa Tibet GTXs and really like them so far.

Tanner

You make my point... boots are so individual it's impossible to make specific recommendations, but rather just share the general info that works for your feet, with the idea that info may not apply to the other... or might!

Picking boots for someone is like picking a wife for someone... they're that individual! laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm wondering why no one has mentioned these boots on the forum this year... if I didn't have my Crispi's Hunters I'd be trying these before all the stiff offerings from the likes of Lowa, Hanwag, etc.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Perfekt-Extreme-400-Gram-Hunting-Boots-by-Meindl/1632151.uts
I like the looks of those as well, but don't like 'em insulated. I've gotten by with uninsulated boots to this point, but I don't hunt the colder/later seasons you guys in MT do. In that case I might be convinced. Best boots I've had yet were a pair of Meindl Island Pro's I got from L&S. Wish they still carried them...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, insulation isn't wanted or needed by many. I forget that!

Well, our Card's didn't do too well. The better team won for sure, and there's always next year laugh

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Love my Lowa Tibet GTX's also. Breaking in a pair of sheephunters which have 400 grams of insulation for the white stuff. And Renigade GTX's for going light.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a pair of Lowa Renegades LL that I wear daily. They've been a great boot for hunting Texas and Africa.

I'm looking at some Zamberlans for hunting New Zealand and also hunting elk out west.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, insulation isn't wanted or needed by many. I forget that!

Well, our Card's didn't do too well. The better team won for sure, and there's always next year laugh
Yeah, it was a bittersweet WS that's for sure. That said, I do like the moves they've made this off season. Peralta was a surprise, but as long as he stays off the PEDs and hits like he's capable it's quite and upgrade in the lineup.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Lowa fan here

Tibets, Trekkers (leather lined)- hiking and hunting, love 'em
Renegade lo's to work

Tried some Salomon Quest-comfy, comfy right out of the box but leak like crazy

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I think that's a very interesting boot. The rand is a much needed addition to the Perfekt IMO. I'd like to see them in an uninsulated version as well, but I've been really happy with my first set of Perfekts aside from the lack of a rand.

Hopefully I won't be buying new boots for a year or so, as my Denali's seem to be wearing pretty well. It would be cool if the Anchorage Cabelas actually opens some day and I can try on a pair of Meindl's before I buy. Never done that before.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
This isn't a response to anyone in particular.

I hunted this year and last in a pair of Scarpa Charmoz, which are akin to the la sportive trango and the subject boot. They have a lot of sole stiffness and moderate support otherwise. I'm a pretty big fan of the concept; they are wicked light and the sole is very grippy. You can really move in the steep rocky stuff. The stiff sole isn't overly stiff for walking on trail or pointing uphill, though heel fit has as much to do with uphill slogging as anything else.

Drawbacks: the grippy sole is rounded off and torn up with only two seasons of use. These boots would get EATEN ALIVE on a rocky AK sheep hunt. Probably fine for the Brooks. They get wet very easily - a seamless leather upper is way better in that regard.

Other observations: I did four very rocky AK sheep hunts in one pair of Alico Guide oldschool Norwegian welt boots, with one resole. The rock was hell on the vibram green-dot soles. I beeswaxed the lower part of the upper, and the leather does not show ANY rock damage, though the leather strap down the boot's back has some stitching damage down toward the sole. Pretty remarkable. The rand on the Charmoz has several small cuts from hunts that involve WAY less rock.

So what is a rand good for then? My opinion: protection of inferior leather or synthetic leather. The abundance of rands may also have to do with the fact that proper waxing of good leather involves some heat, and that might not play nice with sole cement. My Norwegian welt clodhoppers don't care...

I'll soon need an insulated boot as per this year's futzing around in the mid-November Montana mountains, and that means I'll probably have to settle for a rand. The Charmoz doesn't like moving around slowly in foot-deep snow with temps in the single digits.

But for now, I'll keep using the charmoz on earlier hunts, though I may revert back to something with more leather and fewer seams; I'm liking the look of the Scarpa Fuego.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Vek, I'll politely disagree on the rand thing. There are plenty of randed boots that have every bit as good leather as a lot of old-school stitch welted boots... where a rand makes sense is with the new, glue-on approach to sole attachment. It's a natural and useful addition imo/e.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have no doubt that there exists good leather behind some rands. Doesn't change the equation though: good leather + wax = rock protection.

I didn't say that rands have no place. On the half-fabric wonderboots (one of which I own, have used, and like), I don't know how else they'd survive in rock.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wear Lowa Tibets also. I like them for serious use. I also wear some Renegades for things like taking the 4-year-old on "hikes".

Not much I can say that hasn't already been said about the Tibets other than it took me quite some time to break them in. Once broken in they didn't feel stiff to me any more. The Renegades didn't need breaking in, and never felt stiff. They aren't lasting nearly as long as the Tibets, though.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Ordered 3 sizes. 11.5 (my normal size), 12 and a 12.5

This is coming down to 11.5 and 12 and I'm having trouble deciding. Going to keep wearing each around the house for the next week, but I can already see this issue: Toe Space

The 11.5 boot gives that "glove like" fit, but I can feel the very, very tip of one toe (not the middle toe) touching the front. I can still wiggle all toes, room in the shoe.

The 12 isn't as perfect of a fit, but a little more room in the toe box. Still good heel fit, no slipping.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
When you lace the boots up tight on the ankle, you want the heel not to slip and enough room in the toe box (1/2") to keep the toes from jamming on steep down hill. If your toes jam you will lose your toenails... make sure and clip your toenails short also.

Just me but I wouldn't keep the one that touches a toe.

Kent

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks Kent. Thats my feeling as well. Send back the 11.5, keep the 12.

I was told - kick the wall. If your toes hit the front, send them back.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I've also heard to push your toes in an unlaced boot to touching and you should be able to put your fingers behind your heel... no heel slippage is paramount regardless.

Kent

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Bumping this thread from three years ago to give a long term review on the Lowa Cevedale GTX. At the time of my original post, Lathrop debuted the Tech Lite-Hunter. Sierra Trading Post was closing out the Cevedale GTX at a low price + a coupon code made them $167 shipped to my door. After three years of backpack hunts, here is my take on the boots:

Uses: These are my back pack hunting boots for Colorado. My group of elk hunters tackle the steep San Juan mountain range. Our hunts are the traditional backpack hunt: Go in light, find elk, come out heavy (hopefully). In the three years I've had the boots I've packed out 2 elk, none with my tag on them. Maybe this year will be my chance smile I don't know how many miles I've covered, but nearly all of them are up, down or side hilling. Not many flat spots in the areas of the San Juan where we hunt.

Break In: These are stiff boots. Obviously. They are crampon ready, mountaineering boots. These are far from today's trend of lighter, more nimble footwear for backpack hunts. At 3.5 pounds, I don't find the weight to be cumbersome. It took me three months to feel like I broke the boot to mold to my ankle and foot and lose the "ski boot" feeling. I did wonder if I bought too much, too stiff of a boot. More on that...

Comfort : These boots taught me a lesson: I like stiff boots. The Cevedale allow some movement of my ankle, but not too much. Some movement of my foot, but no sliding. I can customize the fit by locking the laces tighter, or letting them be a bit looser. The upper boot is comfortable, like a well worn running shoe, but the support form the boot base remains stout and confident.

Durability : I don't hike in them every month. Most spring and summer they stay in the closet. But fall and winter they get a workout. The boots will give me many more years of use.

Would I buy them again?: At $167, heck yes I would buy them again. However, when these wear out or blow out or I just want to try something else, I will look for a slightly less stiff boot. I like the stiffness for the mountains, but its no all-around shoe. I like knowing I can side hill, hop deadfall, and work swiftly through rock without a worry about my feet. I have never once had a blister or hot spot. That confidence plus performance in the nasty steep stuff makes them a winner for me, for now. Lowa boots also just fit my feet really well, so these might have made me a Lowa fan for life.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 63 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.