Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Then you can begin to start forming the eye of the opener. This is started by using progessively bigger diameter �drifts� that are driven throught the slotted hole while red hot. This is also the moment of truth when you'll find out if the grain of the wrought iron is going to split out on you:
[Linked Image]

Once you reach the limit of the slot diameter, then you start forging the eye to the correct shape and size:
[Linked Image]

Once you get the eye to the correct proportions and size, then locate the cap-removing tab position:
[Linked Image]

All the while you have to be mindful of the bevels on the side of the body. Touch them up so they flow nicely to the eye end. Deepen the cap tab too:
[Linked Image]

Add the Black Frog Ironworks stamp, and any other personalization stamping:
[Linked Image]

Start making the gentle arc of the handle:
[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/temp/tut14.jpg[/img]

I designed this opener so that it can be used a couple of ways. Many times when you open a bottle, one hand is holding onto the bottle and the other hand is holding the opener while popping the cap off. The cap tends to go bouncing around as it falls off- usually ending up on the floor.

I wanted something that I could drape my index finger over the cap while opening the bottle. This way the cap stays with the opener as you open the bottle for easy disposal. I put the arc in the handle so that it fits nicely with the curvature of the remaining fingers. I have big hands, I wanted the end of the opener to land where my pinky finger is.

I didn�t have a beer bottle handy at work, but this is the general way I like to use the openers, with my finger out on the eye end to catch the cap while opening.

Of course you can still grab the opener with all your fingers and have the bottle cap bounce around after opening�
[img]http://www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/temp/tut15.jpg[/img]

Last step before adding the leather lanyard is to burn in the oil finish while the part is at a �black heat�, cooler than red hot but still extremely hot. I do this several times to give a nice deep finish. Or if someone wants the color finish, it is thoroughly wire brushed and then flame colored best I can.
[img]http://www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/temp/tut16.jpg[/img]

Final step after cooling is to put the hole in the ball end and install the leather lanyard, and done!

Regards,
Todd

Last edited by BlackFrog; 12/20/13.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
One last pic, I just snapped this pic outside to try and show the flame colors.
They look different in different lighting, it is tough to capture on camera.

This was a cloudy day, no direct sunlight, snapped with my cell phone camera:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BlackFrog; 12/20/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BlackFrog,

Extremely nice write-up! Very infomative thread on a subject I know next to nothing about. Really appreciate the education. I'm going to start digging for funds... that truly is a hand-crafted work of art!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Up for a cool product

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Wow impressive. this is why I ike the fire.. who knew we had a resident blacksmith. keep up the good work

IC B2

J
J
Very nice!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Indeed and rare material he is working with for sure. Most all fencing and other ironwork in our country is cast.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Would you take 2oz of silver and $10 for shipping for one?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll take 2 blackened ones if still avail. Pls PM details for a USPS MO to be sent. Don

Last edited by Dons1; 12/21/13.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Great work and a very handsome looking opener. I'll take two in the flame option. pm inbound.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Very cool and original. I like it very much. Thanks for taking the time to post the tutorial.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wow, thanks everyone! All PM's responded to.
I'm finishing up orders for another site today, and I will be a very busy guy over the next couple of weeks filling the orders here!

If you ordered one, I will send you a note when it is shipping out so you'll have a heads -up on incoming arrival.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be mighty interested in one of those fire pokers if you've got any time leftover. Post or PM what you need for one.

Black Cows Matter!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Eric and Tom were fist in with their order, here's the first two for the 'Fire ready to ship out, Eric yours is the top one and Tom has the bottom one.
The colors look better in person than I can capture with crappy lighting on camera.

[Linked Image]

Also, I have a few "Island Of Misfit Toys" openers available if you want one right away. These two are forged correctly, but I screwed up on the Frog stamp. The colored one had a faint frog stamp and I tried to deepen the stamp a second time. I didn't get it perfectly oriented and it 'double-stamped', causing a blurry frog.

The black one has the frog stamp upside down in your hand, but would be perfect if you're going to hang the opener on the wall. I've actually had people in the past request the frog stamp in this orientation before. Both have the year 2013 on the side. These are ready to roll right now if you don't care too much about the frog stamp.... Since these are already finished, I can't add any personalization to them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BlackFrog; 12/23/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Booyah!! It looks great. I can't wait to see it in person and crack open a few! smile

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interested in the fire colored misfit. Shoot me a PM with the price and such if you would.

Thanks

Kirk

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The 'misfit openers' have found a happy new home!
Thanks Kirk, hope they open many happy beers for you and your family/friends!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Much appreciated Todd, I am a sucker for stuff like this.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Fantastic work would love to have 2 with the flame colors

Pm inbound Merry Christmas to u

Thanks jay

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Pm sent, looks awesome!
Merry Christmas!

Thanks
Wesbone

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.