Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't know if I'd do either. Nothing against them, but if I were going to spend big bucks on a "lifetime" hunt, my first choice might be Arizona / New Mexico reservation elk.

I'd like to go to Alaska but I'm more interested in fly fishing and just roaming around seeing the sights and taking pictures. So far as Alaska hunting, my first choice would probably be Sitka blacktail. Caribou second, maybe.

Africa is much the same. Not sure I'd want to hunt my first trip, just go see the sights, take some pictures, hope to fish (I guess Africa has fish?) a little, and see the place first, then decide what/if I want to hunt.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
4xbear,

The knee is 90%, maybe even a little better. But not being able to do any real hiking this fall put my aerobic condition behind where it normally would be. A stationery bicycle, rowing machine and moderate weights aren't the same as going up and down with a pack and rifle!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer, Glad to hear it is getting better. I have a bum knee as well and am trying to get into shape for Pig and Elk this year.

Now back to the question, I would have to go for Buffler, at least one time.

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buffalo. Between Capstick, Ruark and others I've been chomping at the bit for almost 30 years.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bear is my next big hunt!
Ho Ho ho

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

I have no interest in shooting a bovine, regardless of how ill-tempered, as a sporting proposition. Different strokes for different folks.

i sorta understand the feeling haven worked around cows on my uncles' ranches....course then there is this....keep in mind the female lion prolly wieghs around 300 pounds plus or minus 25...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EpnERlsfBFc[/video]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bear for me,rio7

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
There is nothing I'd rather hunt than brown bear with sheep right behind that. But having just done a plains game hunt in Africa it is an entirely different experience in itself besides the game being pursued. I think every serious hunter should experience Africa, even if it's just driving through Kruger national park.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
4xbear,

The knee is 90%, maybe even a little better. But not being able to do any real hiking this fall put my aerobic condition behind where it normally would be. A stationery bicycle, rowing machine and moderate weights aren't the same as going up and down with a pack and rifle!

MD,
Check out your local grocery (refrigerated area)stores for "Cherry Concentrate". Its got a good following for joint type problems. You can do a internet search for it and read up on it. I think there is a little Varget in their too.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/20/13.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hell I would just want to go Whitetail Deer hunting. I have spent my whole life hunting in Alaska. I guess I hunted Pigeons and squirrels with tomahawks at Harvard but they are small game. Someday, I want to go white tail deer hunting.

Sincerely,
Thomas

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Newer reader first time poster...
Kodiak and inland grizz hunts, one Cape hunt... one cape on the wall, no big bears. To me, a geezer, the Cape buffalo is an easier hunt physically and more FUN because there are a lot of other animals at your trigger finger tip. I have hunted and fished in Alaska enough to be looking at that "12th free" trip and love it all. But then, I can sleep on those long plane rides, some can't.
Let's see, sleep on the ground, eat freeze dried food or sleep in a feather bed, eat gourmet food... drink Tang, drink South African wine..... hike 20 miles a day or ride 50 hike two..... do a lot of the hard work yourself or let "the boys" do the hard part..... Why do I like bear hunting so much??.... OK I'll vote CAPE BUFFALO..... Thanks...jmho

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've done the grizz thing w/moderate success and a few lively experiences (have you chased a grizz before? Grin) so I'd have to vote for Cape Buffalo. That said, a brown bear hunt with the likes of Phil, and I'd have to cash out on that buffalo hunt. smile. The BIG bears are a different ball game.

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I've been around Alaska, never been to Africa.

It's be buff for just that reason.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter

Newer reader first time poster...

WELCOME to the 'Campfire', aka 'the fire'. If you don't understand what I mean, in time you will. grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having never hunted either I have always felt a pull to go after a big grizzly.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are an awful lot of Cape buffalo hunts done from the back of vehicles -- while you actually have to get out on foot and find big bears. And while a buffalo might kill you ---they can't eat you ! wink

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never hunted either. Although, I have been on several African safaris, and been amongst the Cape Buffalo.

Honestly, bovines simply don't interest me. Different strokes for different strokes, however, I honestly don't see the appeal.

I've hunted bears (black) both over bait and using predator calls. Nothing like a bear come running in to a call frothing at the mouth and popping his gums and teeth!

My vote, brown bear.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Laughing!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
And while a buffalo might kill you ---they can't eat you ! wink

grin I find it very reassuring to know that while my remains might be re-packaged as salsa, at least they won't become poop, at least not without the help of an accessory to the 'crime'. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Done a cape buff, but not the bear. But because I love Africa, the buff gets the nod.

Gotta say though, for the price of either hunt, if you want a once in a lifetime, adrenelin charged hunt, go after a tuskless cow elephant, in the thick jess of Zim. now that'll show ya what yer made of........grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 12/21/13.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.