Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I just purchased Savage model 19 NRA. Guns is great condition about 95%. I believe I paid too much (375) but I believe I'd never find another in this shape. One thing concerns me is the gun is not marked with the model number , just the regular Savage address marking and 22-long rifle. Serial is 7720. Bore is perfect with correct one screw reciever sight.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe you purchased a 1919 NRA. The M 19 was a later speed lock target style rifle in 22 RF and 22 Hornet. (M19 22rf med hvy bbl, M19M 22 rf bull bbl and M19 H Hornet).
As for the 1919s there were at least three variations. Pictures would help a lot.
Some were marked 1919 NRA some were not. In the first model, some were even made in 22 rf short.
If the gun is minty, with a perfect bore, the original magazine (easily lost) and no extra holes you did fine on price. There are quite a few 70% rifles out there but few in top condition.
Catalog reprints are available on Ebay.
This is a third model 1919 NRA with an incorrect front sight.

http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=23431&weiid=5771077&lang=En

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
goodiewrench - the link you posted shows an early 1919 NRA (pre 1923) that has a much later No 25 hooded sight which shows up for the first time in the 1940 parts catalog.
[Linked Image]

The gun you reference also has the early rectangular bolt but has the more open ejection port and two screw rear sight - the only differences from the very early ones that I know of.

The 1919 NRA was updated in 1923 with the 'new 23A' bolt. These 1923 versions were also offered in 22 SHORT, not just the early ones. I am still tring to find out what magazine was sent with the guns in 22 SHORT - I have never seen a magazine for one just marked for 22 SHORT.

Riverpines gun should have the early small ejection port with that low a serial number.

Gene

Last edited by GeneB; 05/05/11. Reason: added picture
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Gentlemen: Thanks for the positive reponse.
Pete

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1st models had a small rectangular ejection port
2nd models had the oval port, the trigger guard was inletted and the rifle was marked 1919 NRA
3rd models had the oval port, trigger guard was not inletted, nor 1919 NRA on the rifle.
These are general rules, as many sub-variants have been encountered, probably due to using left over parts as we also encounter in 99s.

Many people think early 1919s, 22s and 23s have no serial #. It is there on the back edge of the receiver ring.

My NIB 1st model short came with the normal magazine that worked just fine as the dual extractors grabbed the rim much like 98 does (except on both sides of the rim).

Great rifles and in many ways superior to the hallowed Winchester 43. Come to think of it, it's the same with 99s and 88s, 336s and 94s and so on.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Goodiewrench: Thanks for the information. On further examination of my 19NRA found as follows:
Not marked NRA 19 just as stated on my original post.
Has (1) screw reciever sight.
Has large ejection port (rounded at rear , more squared toward front.
Magazine stamped 23A sporter or NRA match rifle.
double ejector on bolt.Trigger guard is inleted.
Now heres the punch line , I removed the butt plate and its marked #8170 also stamped on stock. Serial on recieved is #7720. Right now I'm debating about taking the gun back to the dealer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is not uncommon for the stock to have a different number on these bolt guns. Fitting was not as big a problem as with the lever rifles. As long as the stock is for the same rifle style you are good to go. smile

Your magazine is a later variation but everything else sounds correct.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Rick99: thanks , I guess I'll keep it.
Pete

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bottom is a very early 1919 NRA with the first size ejection port.

Middle is a 1922 Sporter with a slighty more open port - the 1919 NRA's also went to this - if you look close it's only the surrounding metal that got releived, the top of the actual opening is flat - the height of the ejection port is still the same as the early one = the height of the bolt nose.

Top is a 23-A Sporter - udated bolt and much larger ejection port, the NRA got the same update in 1923. To tell them apart look at the knob on the rear of the bolt, the actual shape of the ejection port openin, not the shape of the releived metal around it, and where the top of the bolt handle is - in the 1923 version it is below the top of the stock and the stock has a bigger relief.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
GeneB: Thanks , more information is learned at this forum than any book. Pete Yuro

IC B3

S
Stu Offline
S
When you say oval ejection port, do you mean the rear of the ejection port is curved, while the front of the ejection port is straight. I also have a 1919 NRA( it looks that way anyway) with rear curved,front straight ejection port. It doesn't say 1919 NRA on the barrel so I'm thinking its version 3 of the 1919 NRA. It also has the full stock and two screw ajustment rear peep sights.

S
S
I have serial number 8953. The number is stamped on the receiver ring edges and not on the side of the gun. The metal buttplate has the early Indian head logo stamped on the bottom. The number stamped on the back matches the number on the stock. These numbers don't match the serial, but that's typical.

From older Savage parts schemtics I found that the Model 19 NRA had 3 major variations, at least in the Savage parts listings. The earlier guns (serial numbers below 25,000) were listed as the Savage Model 19 O.S. (Old Style). To differentiate, the models with serial numbers 25,000 to 45,000 were listed as the Model 19 NRA Match Rifle. I found this from copied pages from the Savage 1951 component parts listing (NUMRICH Parts).

The earlier guns had a smaller trigger pin, and the takedown bolts were longer, attaching directly to the receiver barrel assembly and sandwiching the magazine retaining parts between the stock and barrel/receiver. These also had a double point striker in the bolt. The later models had barrel studs attaching the mag retaining parts, with the takedown screws attaching to the studs. These had a single point striker with twin extractors. Up til 1933 these rifles were characterized by a full length military style stock and looked much the same externally (slight variations to the ejection port). In 1933 a better proportioned half stock was adopted, along with other upgrades, including the speed lock feature. Looking at the post 33 guns on auction sites, I've noticed they were still stamped as Model 19 NRA.

Google for a copy of the American Rifleman article, Savage Model 1919 NRA Rifle. I found a readable copy at Snipers hide.

I'm still looking for a few small parts that have been lost over the years. I can kick myself for not buying a parts gun. From what I've learned, $125 was a steal for one with only the bolt and mag missing. Some guns are worth more for parts than the whole. Any missing parts drive the price down drastically. A set of sling swivels will usually run about $50, if you can find them in decent shape. A OEM peep site, $100 plus, if you can find one. Complete bolts in good condition are usually $150 to $200. So... $300 or so for a 19NRA in good shape doesn't sound bad at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like mine is a Type 3 ??
Rec'r - 11514
butt - 3 stamped
plate - 9037
What about the rear sight?

Attached Images
IMG_7523.jpg (45.78 KB, 963 downloads)
IMG_7525.jpg (52.27 KB, 561 downloads)
IMG_7529.jpg (58.64 KB, 577 downloads)
IMG_7531.jpg (86.47 KB, 891 downloads)

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
couple more pics...

Attached Images
IMG_7532.jpg (91.77 KB, 629 downloads)
IMG_7535.jpg (61.91 KB, 857 downloads)
IMG_7538.jpg (70.21 KB, 736 downloads)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene, you out there? Let me hear ya....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Somebody will probably get back to you soon. This post is 2 years old. Better yet, start a new post, and you'll probably get interest right now. People who remember the old post may not even open it, if they remember it, from way back when. Please do start a new post, I'd like to see what they have to say, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joe has some good advice about old posts. I saw it yesterday and was not ignoring your question, it�s a very old thread and your new post is only about a day old. Bolt actions are not my main area and much (most? all?) of what I now know about them was learned as a member here, from other members here � I was going to wait awhile & check back later to give my mentors the chance to respond first, just be patient.

There are others here who can add to this -

Your gun is the early style with the smallest size ejection port. The magazine is also the earliest of the 5 shots so it is correct. The rear sight is the earliest style No 5 with only one mounting hole and is mounted to far back, it should all be on the receiver � these sights are not very durable and the way yours is mounted makes it even more prone to damage. Your may have two mounting holes for the rear sight; the later No 5 had a large hole forward and a smaller one added mid way in the base. From the picture it looks like your sight might be mounted in the rear hole and from the size of the screw head that hole may also have been enlarged, if that is the case.

The front sight looks correct.

In the post by Rick99 he mentions that numbers on the stocks often do not match the receiver but I have always found the number of the butt plate & stock to match � they had to be fitted. Your stock with just a single number makes me consider it is possibly a factory ordered replacement � I think most stocks have a large single number stamped on them along with the serial number.

Gene
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have an model 19 NRA with a Lyman Model SS rear peep sight. Only one I have seen with this sight.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.