-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Believe they had a recent recall on the TC right?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No iron sights or DM but the PacNor tube is amazing. Weighs 6 lb-11oz as is..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
SWEET! Could you share the specs on that Pacnor barrel? Taper and length?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Originally Posted by 4th_point
The Tikka Super Lights are ~6lbs, bare. Kimber Montana short actions are ~5lbs. The math is 6 - 5 = 1. Same scope on both rifles, 6x42.

Haven't weighed the Montucky but I'm guessing ~6lbs with scope and rings.

If you want to really count ounces, don't forget to add a few for a Limbsaver on the T3. Most guys seem to add a Limbsaver.

My SL in .308 weighed 5lbs 10 oz with rings on my postal scale. Exactly as advertised. Kimber lists a Montana .308 as approximately 5 lbs 2 oz without rings. Assuming the approximate weight holds true (and there is probably variation due to the stock material) if you add 2 ozs for some Talleys you now have a 5 lb 4 oz rifle. You seem to be able to do simple subtraction so I'm guessing you can figure out the Montana is 6 ozs less than the Tikka. What you don't appear to be able to figure out is weight equivalency. 6 oz...ain't even close to a pound.

Montana's are nice rifles. They definitely fit the bill for a light mountain rifle. But they ain't a pound lighter. You may like the balance of the Montana better, but stick to your subjective opinions which have some merit. Your 'facts' aren't--and don't.

Mojo,

Weighed the Montucky with 6x42 (M1 elevation), Talley lows, no scope caps, no sling. Total weight was 6lb 2oz. Had the scale calibrated before weighing and will re-calibrate the scale again this week for good measure. Montucky is advertised at 5lb 2oz, scope at 13.6oz. Assume Talleys and M1 bring the scope/mount total to 1lb and everything jives.

As stated earlier, my 300 Super Light was 5lb 14oz bare. With the same 6x42, DNZ low, plus Limbsaver it was 7lb 4oz. Limbsaver must have killed the weight savings from the magical flutes. The bridge on the DNZ adds a touch of weight compared to a Talley.

Should have stated right off the bat that the Tik was a 24" and was using a Limbsaver on it (what T3 isn't? crazy ). Even so, in my case the Tik SL 300 was 3/4lb heavier with stock pad. Add the Limbsaver and we're at a ~1lb diff, as I stated.

Got a 6x42 on that 22" Tik? You should be at 6lb 8oz with a 6x42 according to your math and postal scale, right? A 6x36 like Brad uses would be 3.6 oz lighter according to Leupo. You should be under 6lb 5oz with one of those, since your Tik is only 6oz heavier.

I suspect that you won't hit these weights with a Tik if you run a comparable pad on a Tik (Limbsaver) to match the Kimber (Pach). I'm guessing its more like 10-12oz heavier with the Tik SL (22") compared to a Kimber. Not ~1lb like I stated and not 6oz like you stated. A 24" Super Light adds a few ounces and is more like a ~1lb diff (watch for the tilde smile ), as I mentioned in my earlier post.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/18/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
No detachable mag; but if you happen across one of these MK V carbines; buy it. This is my 7mm-08 in a McMillan Sako Classic stock. Got a bunch of nice rifles I like to hunt with, but if I need one to "carry" this is the one.

[Linked Image]

+1..have one in 7mm-08 but with a B&C stock, with Talleys and a 2x7 Leupy goes 6 lbs 14 oz. Had a 308 I sold on here last year, which I should have kept that went a few ozs lighter

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
howa ultralight in a McEDGE .........enough said!!
Gus

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MojoHand
The Tikka Super Lights are ~6lbs, bare. Kimber Montana short actions are ~5lbs. The math is 6 - 5 = 1. Same scope on both rifles, 6x42.

Haven't weighed the Montucky but I'm guessing ~6lbs with scope and rings.

If you want to really count ounces, don't forget to add a few for a Limbsaver on the T3. Most guys seem to add a Limbsaver.

My SL in .308 weighed 5lbs 10 oz with rings on my postal scale. Exactly as advertised. Kimber lists a Montana .308 as approximately 5 lbs 2 oz without rings. Assuming the approximate weight holds true (and there is probably variation due to the stock material) if you add 2 ozs for some Talleys you now have a 5 lb 4 oz rifle. You seem to be able to do simple subtraction so I'm guessing you can figure out the Montana is 6 ozs less than the Tikka. What you don't appear to be able to figure out is weight equivalency. 6 oz...ain't even close to a pound.

Montana's are nice rifles. They definitely fit the bill for a light mountain rifle. But they ain't a pound lighter. You may like the balance of the Montana better, but stick to your subjective opinions which have some merit. Your 'facts' aren't--and don't.

Mojo,

Weighed the Montucky with 6x42 (M1 elevation), Talley lows, no scope caps, no sling. Total weight was 6lb 2oz. Had the scale calibrated before weighing and will re-calibrate the scale again this week for good measure. Montucky is advertised at 5lb 2oz, scope at 13.6oz. Assume Talleys and M1 bring the scope/mount total to 1lb and everything jives.

As stated earlier, my 300 Super Light was 5lb 14oz bare. With the same 6x42, DNZ low, plus Limbsaver it was 7lb 4oz. Limbsaver must have killed the weight savings from the magical flutes. The bridge on the DNZ adds a touch of weight compared to a Talley.

Should have stated right off the bat that the Tik was a 24" and was using a Limbsaver on it (what T3 isn't? crazy ). Even so, in my case the Tik SL 300 was 3/4lb heavier with stock pad. Add the Limbsaver and we're at a ~1lb diff, as I stated.

Got a 6x42 on that 22" Tik? You should be at 6lb 8oz with a 6x42 according to your math and postal scale, right? A 6x36 like Brad uses would be 3.6 oz lighter according to Leupo. You should be under 6lb 5oz with one of those, since your Tik is only 6oz heavier.

I suspect that you won't hit these weights with a Tik if you run a comparable pad on a Tik (Limbsaver) to match the Kimber (Pach). I'm guessing its more like 10-12oz heavier with the Tik SL (22") compared to a Kimber. Not ~1lb like I stated and not 6oz like you stated. A 24" Super Light adds a few ounces and is more like a ~1lb diff (watch for the tilde smile ), as I mentioned in my earlier post.

Jason

Jason,

If comparing the 'stock' versions, your (and my) math is right on. Can't add superfluous stuff to the T3 to alter weight...even if most will add a Limbsaver. smile

I should add that I use the term 'postal scale' rather generically to describe my digital scale good to .1 oz, so accurate enough.

Having said that, my .308 weighs 6 lbs 10 oz with Limbsaver, stock rings, Leupy 6x36, BC caps, aluminum bolt shroud and a modified mag (added a piece of channel metal). If I were to leave it 'stock', it would stay at the 6 oz difference.

Of course, this is all neither here nor there as it's up to the individual as to how he modifies his rifle. Both Kimber and Tikka make great LW rifles which would serve anyone well.

Sorry if I came across a little testy in my previous post...we Tikka guys get a lot of flack from the Kimbys! laugh

FWIW, I had a sweet 84M in 7-08 but sold it to go to more utilitarian rifles. Had it been a Montana I'm sure I would still have it. I do prefer the slightly heavier barrel on the Tikkas but I may still try to find a Montana in .243 one of these days.

Have a good one and enjoy those Kimbers! smile

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Understand the Tikka mentality Mojo. I got a lot of flack for owning them a few years ago. Now I see a lot of naysayers buying them. Great rifles.

Jason

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Savage 111 Lightweight Hunter
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH

or

Savage 111 Ladyhunter (no one has to know it's a lady's rifle unless you tell them)
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Lady

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/900/0L2VgAUD6_qOvfrnKji.png

My wife was going to get the Lightweight 2 yrs ago but saw they were coming out with the Ladyhunter, which looks much better and has a higher cheek. It was worth the wait.

edit..... sorry, not ss.

Last edited by rphguy; 12/20/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditch the detachable mag, get a short action 700 or a 7 and put it in an edge. A detachable mag is one more piece to lose while hunting.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd put a Tikka up against any Kimber, any day of the week in the accuracy department, with most any factory ammo, especially out of the box. A Tikka T3 7-08 with Varget, IMR 4350, or Big Game and 120-140's will have you shaking your head.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JGR,

Have you done such tests on the T3 and 84? Would appreciate the details as I'm a fan of both.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also got me thinking that a Ruger American in 7mm-08 would probably be in the running too. And at considerable savings over even the T3.

All Weather is on the way from Ruger too so the OP could have his detachable mag and stainless. Secondhand local reports on the RAR are that they are good shooters. Weight seems comparable to a T3.

One area that I never cared for on the Tikka is the gas handling. I've never blown a primer with one or ruptured a case in one, but I stuck the air nozzle from my compressor in the muzzle of my Tikkas and there was a schit-ton of air blowing in my face.

Have done the same garage test with Salvages, and as expected the baffles block the compressed air. Air goes out the lateral vents in the receiver. My Ruger 77 seems to let air out the ejection port and some of that air makes it back to the shooter in a round about way, but the Tikka feels like a direct shot of air. Sort of makes sense since the raceways are not really blocked and the bolt shroud doesn't seem to do much to block rearward gas. Gasses have a straight shot back to the shooter via the raceways. Don't feel air from the bolt shroud/baffle area on the 77 like the T3 rifles.

On the Kimber I was surprised by the relative lack of air in the face, maybe due to the C-collar? But a spent primer would dump gas in the bolt body and the bolt vents to the left lug raceway. At that point there is just the bolt stop that does not completely block the raceway and the bolt shroud doesn't have a baffle like a 77.

The American has a full diameter bolt with no raceways. Looking at in the store it "looks" like it would handle stray gas well.

All speculation since this is ~125psi from the compressor and not 60-65k+ from a rifle cartridge. At those pressures the bolt stops could get blown out and even if there is a baffle on the shroud there could be a lot of high pressure gas.

Jason

C
C
Tom, As somebody else already mentioned, the Kimber 84 Montana is a beautiful rifle. I know it does not have a detachable magazine but that should not be a deal breaker if you are not a road hunter. Because of the well designed straight line stock and the limbsaver recoil pad, felt recoil is very manageable even though the rifle is very lightweight. The stock trigger is also excellent.
An even nicer rifle that I would love and may buy next year is Kimber's Mountain Accent at 4lbs 13 oz. I handled one at my local gun shop and was very impressed. The camo pattern is a little funky but I can live with it. It was selling for $1500 and some change.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JGR,

Have you done such tests on the T3 and 84? Would appreciate the details as I'm a fan of both.

Jason

I have not personally handled a Kimber, but I do own several Tikkas. All of them shoot better than I can, meaning 1" factory stuff and sub MOA with handloads. I do know there are many loyal Kimber fans around, but I also know from what I've read here, that being loads of posts and threads, is that the Kimber can be finicky, and often require some fiddling around with. Tikkas, at least in my experience, do not. Plus, you can buy a T3 and VX3 for what the Kimber rifle alone costs. I've been running Tikkas for almost 15 years with zero problems. They are very hard to beat for a factory rifle, and if truth be known my Tikka 7mag shoots just as accurately as my $1900 HCR semi custom 7mag.

Also, one of, if not "the" #1 sniper trainer in the world sings the praises of the Tikka T3 tacticle. That's a pretty high endorsement.

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/21/13.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the OP: Since your handle is "TomNULA." and if you like your NULA perhaps a Forbes 20B would be a good one to look at. Order before the end of the year and I think you'll beat the 2014 price hike even though delivery will be up to several months out. The short actions are just hitting the market along with a new stock color and camo dipped patterns.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Forbes-Rifle-LLC/194186300722761

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.