Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[quote=reelman
Not sure what it would bring as I've never seen one available for sale. I messed up as this is not my earliest, I forgot to put my one remaining Pre-War in my files! Not sure of the number but it's a Pre-War Carbine in 250/3000. I made a display of my 3 carbines as there is a Pre-War 250, Transition 257, and Post-War 22H (actually it's a type 3 transition) to show the differences in the different actions. [/quote]

Now those are some impressive guns....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by battue
Ball game price on a known 3 digit-in the 5s-known closet queen? However,no box or tags.

Forgot: .30-06

Mr. Battue, Going on what little you give us and no pix, history, what % closet rash ( gotta have a little), My gut says 10K... I drolled over a 25K mod 70 this morning. very best WINCHESTERPOOR

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't think even a minty, original 3-digit prewar Standard in .30/06 will bring anywhere near 10K...$4K-$5K seems to be a good number, IMO, and then the right buyer has to be found....

The scarcest 70 I now have is a mint pre-war SG Carbine in.30/06 that I figure is in the $7,500 range....Reelman's .257 is probably a $15K gun, IMO...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
http://www.gunsinternational.com/WINCHESTER-70-SUPER-GRADE-SPECIAL-ORDER-30-06.cfm?gun_id=100402617
http://www.gunsinternational.com/WI...ORDER-257-ROBERTS.cfm?gun_id=1003778733.
I feel certain that I could reduce my battery down to just these two guns, with an extra pair of the Pacific Research, Rimrock stocks, so as to protect the nice funiture and get along the rest of my varmint,whitetail days with a touch of class !!! LMAO, You folks can rest assured I would zero them the day I got my cattle dung hands on them!!! very best and Happy Christmes fellow Winchester folks

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by balltownbob
I don't think even a minty, original 3-digit prewar Standard in .30/06 will bring anywhere near 10K...$4K-$5K seems to be a good number, IMO, and then the right buyer has to be found....

The scarcest 70 I now have is a mint pre-war SG Carbine in.30/06 that I figure is in the $7,500 range....Reelman's .257 is probably a $15K gun, IMO...

Mr Balltown, Ive been up with my wife half the night, sleep deprived, I thought reading his post that the gun was to ,wanted to sell in 5 numbers, that is where the 10K came from.
As much as I would love to own,hunt and shoot Mr Echols ' legend in 30-06 I would have much more fun taking that 15K and investing in pre 64's and finding one that shot as good OR better than.. Happy Christmas eve folk. very best

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
While Im dreaming like a 9 yr old boy,were I to hit that power ball or sell 250,000 semen straws off my Brahman bull for $25.00 a straw, Mr Rule owns a late SN, 581,257, Varminter special order in .257 BOB that is my favorite gun in his collection.It is a 'class 1' Special order, Mr Nick Kusmit did the bling work. Im not a 'bling' kinda guy I had rather have a 5 shot cloverleaf at 200 yards any day but I'm willing to bet that bad boy will 'DO IT' with the right +P powder, bullet combo,The 'Bling has a world of ,no telling how many hours of classy hard work, that turkey on the action is understated beautiful as is the red fox, since we have no groundhogs in SW GA, I wish Mr Kusmit had done a crow on the floor-plate. Lordy I could slay crows in the pecan grove or whitetails in the white oak grove... very best guys , I must get off this Winchester sight and start the pecan wood burning for a 32 lb fresh( as in killed at 6 am this morning) ham a smoking....

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 12/24/13.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by balltownbob

I have to agree $10K sounds pretty high. 3 digits will command a premium but not that much IMHO. I think it also matters where in the 3 digits it is. If it's #100 it's worth more than #950. Again just my opinion but I would say a 3 digit would bring $500-$1000 over a normal Pre-War. Now if it is a 220 Swift with serial number 220 or 257 with #257 I could see the value going way up.

I insured my 257 for $10K but I don't think that's a real world value of it, I always though of it as about a $7500 gun along with the 250/3000 Carbine and the 22Hornet at about $5000. I have a 358 with a 24" standard weight sightless barrel that I also put in the $7500 range.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I sold a minty transition Standard Carbine in .250/3000 about seven years ago to a Winchester dealer for $6,500...don't know what he got for it...sold a mint 1950 Standard Hornet Carbine with a little fiddleback in the rear of the butt for $5,000 to another dealer about the same time....

I'm sure the dealers had buyers for these guns. Steve Barnett is getting some scarce guns but I am not sure how many he sells...he'll advertise guns for awhile then pull the ads and re-list later....I've bought guns from him when I was into 70s and never had a bad experience but as with any collectables the buyer better have both eyes open and make damn sure a return privilege is in writing...

That high condition .257 is so rare that a $15K asking price is not out of line, IMO...

There was a guy in Michigan making .358 Standard barrels....I once saw a Michigan scofflaw with three Standards on his table at an OGCA show....

Buying collectable 70s is liking buying diamond jewelry....you better trust the seller or you could be in trouble...Allen Postel is one of the best 70 dealers around...Randy Shuman is another....I can't think of any others I'd unconditionally recommend ....'nuff said....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe Roger Rule owns serial# 2.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I own a 30-06 with a serial # in the low 30's.

Never thought I would own another std. 30-06, other than maybe a nice transition era specimen which definitely are my "favorite"!

I've mentioned this story before, but I'll tell it again as it still gives me goosebumps to think about it... I wandered in to a local pawnshop that usually had ~20-30 guns stuffed into an old safe that is made to hold about half of that. Word had it that a group of the local LEO's had first shot at any of the good stuff that had come in, so I'd never expected to find much of any interest. This particular day, I noticed what looked like a Model 70 barrel down in the safe! Further inspection showed that it was in good shape, appeared original with an intact stock, was a pre-war gun, with intact sights and no extra holes in the bridge! I was a little disappointed when I noticed it was an '06... was hoping for an odd ball chambering of some sort. Then I remember turning it over and looking at the serial #. I think I stared at it for a minute or so not believing what I saw.

Then the Model 70 "adrenaline surge" kicked in! I looked at the price (under $700), put a "death clamp" on the gun and skulked to the cash register. I've never filled out paperwork so fast in my whole life.

It sits in my safe for the most part. I pull it out about once a month, look at it, check the serial # just to make sure it wasn't a dream, and shoulder it a time or two. Nothing else quite like it in my little collection. 1936 was a good year for Model 70's and Dad's (my father will be 77 tomorrow on Christmas Day!).

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I will add that I would love to hear the whole history of my particular rifle. I tried to get some contact info. on the people who "pawned" the gun but was unsuccessful due to "privacy laws".

I could envision a local corporate "big wig" with the coal mines in that era with connections back East getting their hands on one of the "early" guns. I can only speculate though.

From what I've read however, the first 100 guns were all std. 30-06's. I believe the first 17 guns were actually assembled the end of 1935.

Fun stuff. Hard to believe this was almost 80 years ago and we're still making a fuss about it!!!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I owned Model-70 serial number 125.

My wife and I were starving college students and I was working at a gun shop in Sellwood, Oregon. An old man came in and wanted to trade-in his old m-70. It was in gorgeous shape, no extra drilled & tapped holes and had a blonde stock.

My boss didn't take trade-ins, so I worked out a cash deal with the old man. I've forgotten how much I paid him, but it was in the neighborhood of fifty dollars (a new M-70 was like $109 then in the early 60s).

I held onto the rifle for maybe six months and sold it for about $1,000 to Lou Leonard, the owner of Leonard Smoke Shops in Portland.

Hey, it paid for a full years tuition and books for me and the wife.

That was fifty years ago ... it still seems like a good bargain.

kd

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kududude

My wife and I were starving college students and I was working at a gun shop in Sellwood, Oregon. An old man came in and wanted to trade-in his old m-70. It was in gorgeous shape, no extra drilled & tapped holes and had a blonde stock.

My boss didn't take trade-ins, so I worked out a cash deal with the old man. I've forgotten how much I paid him, but it was in the neighborhood of fifty dollars (a new M-70 was like $109 then in the early 60s).

I held onto the rifle for maybe six months and sold it for about $1,000 to Lou Leonard, the owner of Leonard Smoke Shops in Portland.

kd

......and you've been a remington 700 owner ever since. Right?...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by kududude

kd

......and you've been a remington 700 owner ever since. Right?...

bsa1917hunter,

If I said anything that offended you, I totally apologize.

I AM really, really sorry.

To answer your question (if it IS a question): Because of my position in the firearms industry, I very seldom shot Winchesters of any kind.

kd

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
kd, I do not see how what you said could have possibly offended anyone. And I agree, the money was well spent. I largely educated three daughters by cutting personal expenses and buying and selling Winchesters, Brownings, and Sakos. They all graduated debt free. My youngest, now 39, recently told me that her college roommate was just now paying off her student loan.

I had and sold some that I wish I had back, but they sold for the better good.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1940 Super Grade in 30-06. 99%.

A treasure. smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1949 Supergrade 30-06. Also owned a 21 Custom, got papers from the Cody Museum. Final inspection was dated December 5 , 1941.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My personal Holy Grail, Supergrade Carbines. Very nice!
Originally Posted by reelman
I had to look at my records to see what the earliest M70 I currently own it #868XX, it a 257 SG Carbine transition.

Just 50 behind it is a 270 SG and a couple thousand after that is a 22 Hornet Carbine.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by reelman
I had to look at my records to see what the earliest M70 I currently own it #868XX, it a 257 SG Carbine transition.

Just 50 behind it is a 270 SG and a couple thousand after that is a 22 Hornet Carbine.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 48 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.