Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Naw, the "good" Remingtons ended with the Rolling Block. The Model 30 was a cheap, modernized POS.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Now John! I only have half a million in my soon to be finished one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ain't that the truth. Wish all my "cheap" rifles cost that little....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Naw, the "good" Remingtons ended with the Rolling Block. The Model 30 was a cheap, modernized POS.

JB, you may be right. I have a military Remington Rolling Block (7mm) that I bought from Golden State Firearms in 1955 or '56 (age 14 with just a money order for $7.95 plus shipping; no ID, no FFL, just a signed statement that I was over 18 [OK, I lied]). The rifle was in good shape on the surface (except for the deep exterior barrel pittng under the fore-end and hand guard). I started reloading for it but have never been able to get less than 5" groups at 100 yards on a good day. BUT....., it is hoot to shoot!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
This was the best bolt aciton rifle remington had it's name on. Doesn't matter what the year was grin

[Linked Image]

They say a picture is worth a thousands words and heres the proof laugh

Cool 720 military model BSA!!!!, made in '42 only and given away as trophies
IIRC it was the only "sporting" rifle made during the war.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that a Remington 725? Wasn't the model 30 made with U.S. M1917 actions complete with the dogleg bolt handle?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have two 700s, both from the late 60s-early 70s vintage, on long action one short action. The long action never had a factory barrel on it in the 25+ years I have owned it. But after being trued up and having close to 10,000 rounds through it, It is smoother then the new model 700s can never imagine. The only part of the gun original is the action ,bolt and firing pin mechanism(spring etc.) The new 700s seem to be assembled by people who just don't care and their chamber specs. seem a little hit or miss.

Last edited by wyoming260; 12/27/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any Pre J-Lock Rem will make a great donner.

NRA Lifetime Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Remington 30?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

James Anderson will get it back from the engraver next week. Needs rust blue and a buffing on the wood.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Currently have two M700s. A late 70s vintage ADL in 25-06 and a 90s era synthetic ADL in 223. Both shoot very well, but the 25-06 has been especially accurate since the day I brought it home (used) in 1978.

Floated the barrel, lightened the trigger a bit when I got it and the rifle hasn't been fussed with since. Even still has the original Bushnell 4x12x40 on it, that I installed all those years ago. Figured to eventually replace it with a better scope. Never got around to it because that piece of junk still works fine.

A huntin' bud turned me onto the M700 back then. His first was a BDL in 25-06 he bought new in the early 70s. Over the years he added a pair of M700 varminters (6mm and 22-250); A 40XB in 7mm Rem mag and an 8mm Rem mag M700 the year that was introduced. All of which I used from time to time over the years. He also had two M7s in 7mm08: One original for his other son and a 20" SS/synthetic for himself.

He eventually replaced the OEM barrels on both varminters with 26" SS Douglass tubes, after about 15 years and thousands of rounds. Some launched at paper, but mostly woodchucks. There was a long period of time when we killed several hundreds per year between us.

When the ADL synthetics came out, he bought one of 'em in 30-06 for his oldest son, followed by another one in 223 and then one in 6mm Rem (Grice's special run) and another in a chambering I have forgotten. All were superbly accurate.

When the 300 UM was introduced, he wanted one in a Sendero fluted, but finally settled on a 300 Weatherby because no shop in these parts could find him one in 300 UM. That Sendero consistantly put five into an inch @ 300 yards. 150gr Btips over IMR 7828, as I recall?

Bottom line, never any accuracy/functionality issues with any of our M700s over a thirty year period, whether they were BDLs, walnut ADLs, Senderos, or ADL synthetics.

I've never actually known anyone that ever had a "problem" M700, that wasn't attributable to something they'd done.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
To me, the Model 700's are pretty much equal in quality from the start (1962) to present. I will admit the whole J-Lock idea was pretty damn stupid and counter-productive......but the "rifles" themselves were still of good quality. The Model 700 is a very good, but not elegant design. The desirability is tied to the main competition.....the Winchester Model 70.

In 1962 the "new" Model 700 was introduced just as the Model 70 was reaching it's lowest point. Not that the Post-64 Model 70's were a "bad" design, just not up to the quality and reputation of the rifles that preceded it (I still say that Winchester screwed up by calling it a Model 70 instead of giving it a new designation).

Thus the 1960 and early 1970 Model 700 seem much better, by comparison, than their main competitor....the Model 70. By the 1980's Winchester began to improve their offering and Remington reached their own low point (J-Lock series)......so by comparison, the Model 700's seem weaker. In truth, the Model 700 was as good as ever, just not head-and-shoulders better than the Winchester of this time period.

In truth, there is no "best" Model 700.....they have maintained their quality through-out the production life of the rifle. The Model 700 is a very good, but not an elegant design that just "works". The "best" of the Model 70's are outstanding.....while the "best" of the Model 700's are great, but not "outstanding". The "average" Model 700 is probably a bit more accurate than the "typical" Model 70, but just doesn't have the "style" of the best Winchester offerings. It is what it is.....a very good, working man's rifle that is more accurate than it's competition. Maybe not a "great" design, but more than any would ever need for most uses.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I heard complaints about the J-lock from the time it appeared. One well-know custom gunsmith told me they couldn't shoot as well as the non-lock 700's, since the firing pin spring was over-compressed, affecting consistency of primer strike.

It just so happened that I'd purchased a J-lock 700 not too long before that, a heavy-barrel, laminated stock .223. After a few small modifications, including epoxy-bedding the action and floating the barrel, it would put 5 shots of its favorite load into an average of 1/4" at 100 yards, so I decided to see if it would shoot better without the J-lock. I had another short-action 700, so substituted its bolt innards and shroud for the J-lock's, and found the accuracy was unchanged.

Yeah, the J-lock doesn't look so hot, but I've never seen that it made one bit of difference in the way the rifles performed.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I keep hearing the same thing JB from obvious M700 haters. Only have 1 J- lock gun, a Ltd Classic in 8x57 and it sure shoots nice.The other 700's I have shoot as well or better. Magnum Man

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree Mule Deer.....I've never had a problem with the J-Lock personally. I just don't see the point in introducing a pointless and potentially damaging feature to a rifle that has no problem. It's more of an esthetics thing with me than a real problem.....there was and is no reason for the J-Lock to exist.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 5 700's and 2 have the jlock. I consider all to be very accurate and of acceptable quality verses what I payed for them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My opinion, the J lock dingus was just an unnecessary "nod" to the prevailing winds of the day, those being aimed at manufacturers to make firearms somehow "safer"?

When that crap got up momentum and most firearms entities were trying to make an effort to appease those concerned, a group I'm part of must've doled out thousands of the little yellow cable gun locks supplied by USSF.

I've often wondered how many were ever actually used as intended, or are still merely taking up space somewheres?

I once briefly had a J lock M700 (used) and never did get the key. But as it was a superfluous feature and I wouldn't have used it, never needed it.

Unless it had come to me sans key and "locked", natcherly. In which case I wouldn't have bought it to begin with. ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The first thing I've done with all the J-lock 700's I've owned was make sure it wasn't locked, then thrown away the key.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first thing I've done with all the J-lock 700's I've owned was make sure it wasn't locked, then thrown away the key.

Of course we all now hope that Mrs. B didn't keep one key secreted away and that you never, ever manage to rile her up to the point of her having to actually use it.

smirk

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A 700 is hard to beat for the price.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,345 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.