Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Based on your criteria I would vote for a 1911 in 9mm or a Browning Hi Power. Both are great guns and fit your needs nicely. Definitely avoid the 92, I carry one in the military and HATE it!

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Good Day Men!

Not much of a handgun guy, have had military training many moons ago when 1911's were used, but have found myself needing to carry for protection.

Looking for a 9mm single stack double action that is ultra safe to carry "HOT" and use, but have no idea what is good and what is not. I would like to carry it in a shoulder holster sometimes & on my belt on other occasion. So I'd like recommendations for good usable holsters also.

Thinking something like a Beretta 92 but not sure?

Thank you,
Bill

when i toss all of your criteria into the hopper, one rig i come up with (though not the only one), is the sig/browning bda (somewhat confusing, but i do not refer here to some of the other models also dubbed bda).

if i recall correctly, these rigs were made in the 70's. in appearance, they look essentially like a sig p220, but sport a heel magazine release. the slide flats are polished blue, whilst the rest is matte black, with an anodized alum frame.

it's a single stack, and can be had in 9mm para, .38 super (rare), and .45 acp. the rigs have no absurd manual safety, yet is sports a very efficient decock lever--just like a modern sig...

the 9mm rigs are not exactly abounding--but some looking will snag you one.

you would do well to go with Blue's advice and get some foundational instruction...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Try looking at a Sig Sauer P225, or the old Police version the Sig P6. I have a P6 and carry it frequently. Single stack 9mm and is a very easily carried weapon!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Generally the lump in my pants scares most people off!

NRA Life Member
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

randy..
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Try a Sig 239. Or a Sig 225 (P6), H&K P7 or S&W 3913, if you don't mind buying used. All are reliable, single stack, flat and conceal easily.

W
WBill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Can someone fill me in on the 3rd Gen smith's? Like the 3913, 6909 & others? What makes them 3rd gen? Are they safer than gen 1 & 2? I take it they are double action/single?

Thanks,
Bill

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The tactical advantage that police and military have is not the fact that a gun can be seen on them. It's been proven time and time again that the visibility of a firearm makes you more of a target. Consider who is First targeted in a bank robbery, the guard or the clerk?

The advantage they have is open carry. It's just plain faster to draw, making it faster to get rounds down range. On duty, their uniform makes them a target, so drawing quickly is needed. What you need to ask yourself is how do they carry off duty? Concealed and as hidden as can be.

Surprise is the ultimate tactical advantage. It always has been and always will be.

As to a nice single stack 9mm. Consider a Ruger or Khar along with the others that have been suggested here.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The older S&W 39-2 is a great pistol, excellent ergonomics, quite reliable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.45 acp 1911

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Wow, only one recommendation for a single stack. I would recommend one if the single stack 9mm 3rd generation S&W.

Well, Kevin - I did say "off the top of my head"....and it is rather pointy and lacking in room up there. blush

The 3913 is the only 3rd gen S&W pistol I am familiar with - and yes, it's another good option for the OP. Probably pretty easy to find one for a good price, still.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sig 239 meets your criteria.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Can someone fill me in on the 3rd Gen smith's? Like the 3913, 6909 & others? What makes them 3rd gen? Are they safer than gen 1 & 2? I take it they are double action/single?

Thanks,
Bill

As far as a solid steel gun goes you would be hard pressed to beat either model you mentioned. Third generation Smiths's are extremely reliable and shoot well in my experience. I would not hesitate to carry either one you mentioned and have had both. I like the 6906 a little more while it's not quite as slim it does have a 12 round mag and never had a hick up with mine. Either would serve you well being a double action first shot then S/A after that. Some people struggle with any of the double action first shot guns but with a little training the first shot can go exactly where you want.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good Day Men!

Looking for a 9mm single stack double action that is ultra safe to carry "HOT" and use, but have no idea what is good and what is not. I would like to carry it in a shoulder holster sometimes & on my belt on other occasion. So I'd like recommendations for good usable holsters also.

Thank you,
Bill

You might want to consider an H&K P7 (PSP). It's a single stack 9mm, all steel, very reliable and absolutely safe until you squeeze the grip to cock it. Pretty hard to have a ND with this mechansm. IME this is an accurate pistol.

Downside is that it's somewhat heavy for caliber (all steel), a bit spendy and mostly available used, but mags and spare parts are still available new. The mag is heel release, but reliably ejects the mag, and fast with practice.

Any holster made for a 1911 will fit the P7. If you like a horizontal carry one of the Galco Miami Classic versions work well. IWB is easy because the frame is very thin.

P7s fit your specs well. The weight and ergonomics allow fast accurate fire.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If you insist on a single stack magazine, then it's an older Smith, with perference for the 3rd generation or maybe a smaller 1911.
My favorite 9mm for social purposes is the Browning HP. Still kick myself for selling the one I had. E

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
EMP, if you can deal with cocked & locked.
3rd gen Smith if you prefer sa/da. I recently found an as new in box 908. It carries and functions very well. The da pull is like a very good revolver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
full size 9mm and single stack don't go together. unless you are talking lugers or some ancient design handgun. 9mm is double stack unless you want a small pistol. its too bad you don't like glocks, I was once that way myself but not anymore. carry something in a black hawk serpa holster, its comfortable and with a coat or long shirt it can conceal the gun. lots of options out there besides glock, CZ 75 is a great one, FNS is another one. and of course XD makes quite a few.

I for one am not a fan of the open carry argument. if you ever got into an argument with someone and they really wanted to mess you over all they have to do is call the cops and say you waved a gun around at them. your probably going to get arrested, your gun taken, and some huge legal hassles. not a good idea if you ask me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Day Men!

Not much of a handgun guy, have had military training many moons ago when 1911's were used, but have found myself needing to carry for protection.

Thinking something like a Beretta 92 but not sure?

Thank you,
Bill

What is with the fixation on Glocks? They have to be the most over-rated gun out there.

Single stack and absolutely safe loaded, there is nothing that will eclipse a Heckler and Koch P-7 M-8. They hold 8+1 and are the safest handgun in the world with one in the chamber. The barrel is fixed in the receiver and has polygonal rifling, fluted chamber for the most accurate, yet reliable semi auto you could own.

They have a 4.13 inch barrel and yet the configuration gives it the feel and size of a compact. The action is the lowest in any handgun and reduces felt recoil better than anything else made. Ergonomically, this design can't be improved on, it has been around for decades and is still the least understood marvel in handguns.

These pictures show the P-7 for size in the hand, holster and concealed. This is actually an M-13 the M-8 is more compact in the single stack configuration, but the upper and internals are identical...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I can remember some old advertisements of the P7, if I recall they were adopted by some state police. Cool pistols.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice, Shrap......that gun never crossed my mind, though one of my BIL's has one.

In the current H&K lineup, the USP Compact is not bad either, just pricey but is still a double stack.

MM

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.