Hop To
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey guys,

Thanks for the rifle tips for my upcoming bear hunt. How about opinions on waterproof gear for your neck of the woods?

I've got the Cabelas MT50 stuff, but nit sure that would survive a week in the Alaskan coastal rain forest.

Suggestions?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you looking for lightweight? Breathable? I wear Helly Hanson impertech II raingear and it keeps me dry, but it doesn't breathe. If you hike a ways you will get hot. If you are just sitting around though they work really really well. My only grip with them is there is no material that goes over the cuffs, so if you wear gloves your sleeves channel all the water right down into your gloves.

Whereabouts will you be going?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What FishinHank said...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What beerhunter said. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Got news for you. If you wear the breathable stuff and hike you will get hot anyway, especially with a pack on.. and sweaty-wet from the inside. Just like with the Impertech or any other non-breathable gear.

The only difference is the breathable stuff will eventually pass the moisture out once you stop working so hard. It WILL keep you dry if you are just sitting still or for short periods of mild exercise - it can keep up with that. With impervious stuff, one can eventually get clammy under same conditions.

With anything, it is best used loose-fitting, with airflow out the neck area- this will carry out a lot of the moisture thru bottom to top airflow. Use under layers of synthetic non-absorbing materials. Avoid cotton especially, and wool nearly as much. Both absorb and hold moisture.

Also, the breathable stuff will pass water out-to-in in a driving rain or while pushing thru heavy vegetation, especially after it is a bit worn. It depends on it's "waterproofing" on having a cover layer of material that doesn't let water get to the membrane. This requires constant maintainence and re"proofing" of the outer layer. All bets are off after a few days of constan, heavy use in the field . At least this has been my experience- and yes, I use both types.

If I want to stay waterproof from the outside under harsh conditions, I use Helly Hanson, or another impervious type.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bottom line is that if you are going to be out hunting hard in Alaska all day in heavy rains you are going to get wet one way or the other !

The best I have found so far is a set of lightweight goretex worn under another heavier set of rubber or goretex

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check out the Deadliest Catch (north sea crabbers) togs. If I really want to insure that I'll stay dry in a downpour, that is what I wear. Try a marine supply store.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/31/13.

1Minute
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
We will be on an island off the coast of SE mainland. Can't remember the name.

Will certainly be pushing through wet brush. Hiking uphill to clear cuts and hunting the shoreline at low tide.

Thanks, Mr Phil. Haven't seen your tales in Rifle in a while. Miss them.

Deadliest Catch is the brand name?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have lots of Goretex stuff and it works well enough. That said whenever I am on a trip where I know its gonna rain a lot, I always have my impertech. I used to bring my breathable jacket on my steelhead trips to Yakutat. But when you are camping for 7-10 days with no place to dry out you find out what stuff really keeps you dry, especially with no way to dry your clothes.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 1minute
Check out the Deadliest Catch (north sea crabbers) togs. If I really want to insure that I'll stay dry in a downpour, that is what I wear. Try a marine supply store.

They mostly use heavy duty Helly Hanson. I did when on a fish strangler in Bristol Bay, and again on an East Side set net site in Cook Inlet. Pretty heavy for hunting. For other duties, I use the HH light weight stuff.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Frankly a lot of stuff that's not pure crap will hold up well enough for a week, especially on a boat hunt. If you'll be out in it for a month, that's a different story.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you want to stay dry and are not working up a sweat, I really like Impertech. Start working hard though and you will get soaked from the inside as Impertech does not breathe. For just standing around, like the heavier Helly Hansen and Grundens rain gear, it does work great.

Gore-Tex works well if, like a previous poster mentioned, you allow it time to blow off between times of greater exertion - slow still-hunting for example.

When doing serious hiking in the rain I have taken to using a poncho over fleece. Breathes relatively well compared to a jacket and has the added advantage of covering both you and your pack. Switch to a jacket when you begin your hunt in ernest.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 01/03/14.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have done more than a few hunts in SE wearing my green HH and extra tough boots. If you are going to be crashing around in the brush, you are going to get wet, no matter what you are wearing, just a matter of how wet. The good thing about the heavy duty HH's is that they will stop the devils club and you have to work to put a hole in them. It is old school and not as fashionable as some of the recommendations, but it works.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Grundens or Cotton Mather style....

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's why I like zip off pant legs. If I have to hump a load in heavy rain I'm stripping down to long johns covered only by my now shorts. Rain gear & dry long johns in the pack for when making camp

Also carry a silnylon poncho as emergency shelter or alternatively to wear when packing. Works well to let airflow

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 69 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.