Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
I would not want to get caught with a RO lic on public land.

That's for sure. No need for a long distance statutory rodeo.
The bottom line to this is that you must know what you can and cannot do before you leave the original ranch property.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for all the info guys. I found out it is a Ranch Only tag. Also in addition to the hunt days we can go 3 days early to scout. Accommodations are in a nice lodge that has private bedrooms and very nice kitchen. I was quoted $2200 for the tag and lodging. Also a few family members are there to show you around the ranch and help get your elk out with one of their utvs. I hope this all works out as I have always wanted to go on an elk hunt. Thank you very much again guys. Kevin

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I drew a tag four years ago for 34 and got a 330" bull, outside of Cloudcroft. It was beautiful country and a great hunt. With the exception of bulls I saw on the reservation, my bull was the largest seen while hunting. I did see many bulls around 300" and would go back.

Before the hunt, the going rate for LO tags was $5k. Once I arrived and a day or two before the season started, those tags dropped to $500. The outfitter said it was common practice for the land owners to drop them just before the season and if you are flexible enough, that is the way to go.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by woods1126
Thanks for all the info guys. I found out it is a Ranch Only tag. Also in addition to the hunt days we can go 3 days early to scout. Accommodations are in a nice lodge that has private bedrooms and very nice kitchen. I was quoted $2200 for the tag and lodging. Also a few family members are there to show you around the ranch and help get your elk out with one of their utvs. I hope this all works out as I have always wanted to go on an elk hunt. Thank you very much again guys. Kevin

If the outfitter/ranch owner is reputable, he will gladly provide you with references from previous clients and possibly photos of trophies taken in recent years. I would also want to see his outfitter license and insurance certs. From what you have posted, the price doesn't sound out of line.

While it is true that prices on RO tags drop as the season deadline gets close, bull tags rarely drop to $500 in one shot. Go take a look on Craigslist and you'll be lucky to find any that low unless in really crappy areas with little chance of success.

Traveling as far as you are, I would do my research, contact previous clients and make an informed decision BEFORE jumping in. There is no rush and plenty of other outfitters are out there to include those in CO. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks gman and Jrs3. I received an email about the ranch and the hunting area. I'm going to talk to my buddy again tomorrow again. I will keep you posted on my progress. Kevin

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you get a chance, visit the club house or hunter's meseum at the reservation. They have a large collection of elk heads taken over the years and is worth checking out. Many 400"+ trophies. The best was a full mounted 6x6 running down a hill and simulating a bugle with his head cocked back. Beautiful and impressive.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Sounds awesome JRS3. Thanks Kevin

Romans 8-28
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Better ranches do their own outfitting so they go RO. They cost considerably more then $2200. I used to see an outfit advertising a DIY hunt on their ranch for about that price down in the surveyor canyon area. The hunting down in that corner is hit and miss lately. Check references and get everything spelled out.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.