-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What are your thoughts on using a chassis vs. a more traditional fiberglass hunting stock from McM or Manners? Likes, dislikes?

I'm intrigued by the KRG X-ray, but have no experience with a chassis.

Jason

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think a lot would depend on what you were doing with it. Most chassis system are going to have a vertical pistol grip and really are more suited to stationary or prone type firing vs. a hunting style stock that may be lighter and configured for quicker handling and carrying in the field.

There are a ton of variables in both styles as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by southwind
I think a lot would depend on what you were doing with it.

There are a ton of variables in both styles as well.

^^

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a special purpose rifle maybe a chassis styled stock makes sense in some applications. When looking at a hunting rifle I can't see any application. A lightweight chassis weighs 3+ pounds and many of them top 5 pounds. They're not for me; though I understand that they may become standard issue for mall ninjas in the near future..........

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry guys I should have been more specific.

I'd use a chassis strictly for a dedicated LR platform, shot from prone. I can see how they would be awkward to carry, and the safety would be a pain to manipulate for snap shots.

But once in the prone position, they seem like they'd be extremely comfortable and easily customized for fit.

The X-Ray price seems reasonable too.

Anyone have experience shooting a chassis vs a more traditional stock?

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/31/13.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I should have asked it in a different way...

If you use a chassis for your LR rifle, what were the reasons you chose it over a fiberglass stock, even an A5-style?

Just looking for general comments on a chassis. Whatever you feel is relevant.

Thanks,

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the chassis setups are a joke if you ask me. keep in mind much the tactical crowd, well lets just say, ummm ok lets just say they are a unique crowd that knows what they know, are slow to change, are controlled by group think and pack mentality and are definitely worried about looks in many cases over function. a chassis setup adds a ton of weight that essentially offers nothing for you. I do like a vertical grip but there are other ways to accomplish this, the A series mcmillans, and mcmillan has another stock I think its call the TPR. The tactical crowd gets to the point that their rifles aren't that portable anymore. this come from most of them only shooting at gun ranges where weight does not matter. however in the real world, be it hunting or even as a sniper which they are trying to be like. extra weight on your gun that offers nothing is not a wise choice, because real snipers and real hunters aren't within 100 yards of their pickup truck. a glass bedded mcmillan is going to do it lighter and just as stable as any chassis setup.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
really?

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So .mil guys with AICS and TRG rifles, are not real snipers or marksmen? They should carry a McM instead?

CC brings up the point of chassis weight. Something to consider.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I own Micky's and AICS chassis. They have their positives and negatives. The older chassis are more clunky and heavy. I have the older 1.5 AICS with my heavy 6.5x47 sitting in it. It has a heavy 26" Krieger #10 barrel. Would I care to drag it's 17 lbs around the mountains, not really. My lighter (sub 10 lb) 6.5x47 is in a Micky. It's great to shoot and about as accurate. The newer Chassis can be lighter. I'm starting an ELR hunting rig in 338 Edge. Know what stock it's getting? The AICS 2.0 Hybrid chassis. It will have a 30" Sendero Bartlein barrel. It's weight should come out somewhere between my other two rifles. With it's folding stock, it will get carried in one of my Eberlestock's backpack scabbards.

Alan

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have dabbled with them too. this was my first, a .264 Win.

[Linked Image]

that stock got tripped (to New Zealand of all places) along with three of the rare AICS 10 round .300 Win mags.

this is that rifle today (top rifle)

[Linked Image]

but my most accurate rifle is the top rifle here in my .223AI pile

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Toad and GSSP.

Do you guys think the chassis stocks give you a better fit over McM and your others stocks in terms of getting a good sight picture and being able to spot your shots? This is what has led me to the idea of a chassis. I've used a kydex taco in the past but the chassis seems like a better mousetrap for getting the perfect fit.

Jason

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Jason,

Fit has to do with how well you pick your stock to begin with and then how adjustable or adaptable it is when you need to get into different positions. Take a prone shot. No problem. Now, take a prone shot where you're shooting down hill or even worse, up hill. Take the following pic. Hard to see but I'm lying down hill and my shot is up hill. Why didn't I sit or kneel, because it was about a 900 yd shot. Not steady enough except from prone. Looks like I'm using my Harris bipod but even extended all the way it wouldn't' bring my muzzle up enough so I had to use my PRS system SLIK tripod and mount to hold the rifle up high enough yet still allow the butt to stay close to the ground for the rear support.

And yes, that is my 1.5 AICS chassis shooting my 6.5x47. This was last June as the Challenge at Altitude shoot up Weber Canyon, Utah. We're at about 8,000'.
Alan

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info Alan. Never knew about the PRS. I already have a SLIK and will look into it. I figured bi-pod on top of a pack but the tripod offers a lot.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/01/14.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Jason,

Here is the same SLIK and the same rifle stretched up to where I'm hitting steel at 660 yds.

Alan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think one of the attractions of the chassis is both the adjustability and modular nature of many of them. However you put an adjustable cheek piece on the mickeys as well. I always kind of liked the Game scout model as somewhat of a hybrid stock.

Other chassis systems to look at other than those aleady mentioned would be MDT Tac21, Cadex, JAE J allen, HTI, EXR, and SABER

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Alan - that PRS sure opens up a ton of shooting options. It definitely would give me many more places for field practice.

SW - I'll look into those other chassis systems. Thanks for the list.

Jason

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (02bfishn, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.