Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 38 39
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I have been honored to have attended several gatherings of 24 Hour Campfire members and their families. We have met, made friends, renewed old friendships, shot guns and the "breeze" (No BS! grin ), ate some great food prepared and served by the members, shared our lives and our opinions, and made great memories.

With that said, I, and my lovely bride, would like to host the First Annual 24 Hour Campfire East Texas Gathering at our humble ranch in East Texas over the first weekend in April, 2014.
That is Saturday and Sunday, April 5 & 6. As with the other Gatherings, I expect some folks will come in on Friday, the 4th and leave on Sunday, so there will be time to visit, shoot, eat, share, and maybe learn a bit more about each other.

This is a family event. We have had great times with the youngsters that have made the other Gatherings and we would like to continue sharing our love of guns, shooting, and fellowship with the younger generations.

We are out in the country about ten miles west of the big city of Gilmer, TX, roughly forty miles north of Tyler, TX. That puts us right at 100 miles west of Shreveport, LA, 100 miles East of Dallas, and smack dab in the middle of God's Country. grin

There are plenty of places to camp. We have two RV outlets, a 30 Amp and a 50 Amp (no blackwater dump, sorry), a full bathroom in it's own house in the yard, and a covered area for cooking.

There are two, one-acre + ponds here, stocked with Largemouth Bass & Bluegills if anyone would like to try their hand at catching a few.

Out in the back pasture, we will be able to shoot out to 400 yards, plus an area to shoot handguns & rimfires.
I have a round hay bale inside the fenced yard for shooting bows, but that doesn't mean folks can't try to lose their arrows out in the pastures, too. laugh

At the other Gatherings we have had friendly firearms competitions and I would love to do that here.

The Prairie Dog Shoot has been a favorite, which is one shot, any caliber, any sights, from 200yds, cold bore, at a life-size standing prairie dog silhouette that has a 1/2" orange dot paster in the middle of the chest area. The closest to the center of that 1/2" dot wins.
I'd like to come up with some other competitions, maybe a handgun shoot (Paladin is automatically disqualified 'cause he's just too good.) grin JUST KIDDING!

How about a .30-40 Krag shoot? .32-20Win? BPCR? Longbows? Other ideas?

As with the other Gatherings, this is a potluck deal, relying on the attendees to chip in with food and beverages (alcoholic beverages are welcome) and with condiments, tableware, snacks, ice, etc...

Pat Powell(ltppowell) has said that he will come and grace us with his grilling expertise, Curdog4570 may be enticed to show us how catfish is really prepared, and I will show everyone how to eat. laugh

These events are a great way to sit across a real campfire and talk face-to-face with the folks you have only known through this website, learning more about each other, and perhaps making new friends.

I hope you will join us.

I will ask Rick Bin to make this a "sticky".

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ed I think its awesome that you are putting this together. I wish I were able to make it to this one. Who knows there is a chance I might be a whole lot closer next year if you host one...

I can assure folks this... It will be a great time hosted by one of the finest guys I know.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
No idea if it's feasible to make it at this time, but if it is I would love to.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope to make it Ed.

I noticed you said you had a 400 yard handgun range.

Where are you going to shoot the rifles? grin

Last edited by Paladin; 01/02/14.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed's hat just went up to a size 9 � and deservedly so.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Paladin
I hope to make it Ed.

I noticed you said you had a 400 yard handgun range.

Where are you going to shoot the rifles? grin

Wiseguy..... grin

I guess we'll have to shoot them on the Handgun range. blush

I hope you can make it David!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Kent, It just won't seem right if you're not there, driving the Coleman stove(s) grin

I'm really looking forward to this. There are a BUNCH of fine folks here that I would love to shake hands, break bread, share a beverage and tales with.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Not quite, Ken. I just tried on that 7 1/4 Long Oval Resistol and it still fits. laugh

I hope someone kidnaps you and drags you to this wing-ding.

Ed

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Ed, this is a very kind and generous offer. I will try to make this work. I've been hoping to meet you, and some more of the Texas crew.

My sister married into Texas, and I've always enjoyed my visits everywhere in that great state.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Not quite, Ken. I just tried on that 7 1/4 Long Oval Resistol and it still fits. laugh

I hope someone kidnaps you and drags you to this wing-ding.

Ed

My 10 year old niece gave this to me for Christmas... she laughed and laughed... I wear it everywhere.

I'll see if they have a size 9 and send it...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Ed, this is a very kind and generous offer. I will try to make this work. I've been hoping to meet you, and some more of the Texas crew.

My sister married into Texas, and I've always enjoyed my visits everywhere in that great state.

Make it happen! These Texicans will let anybody come here. They let me! grin

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by krp
My 10 year old niece gave this to me for Christmas... she laughed and laughed... I wear it everywhere.
I'll see if they have a size 9 and send it...
[Linked Image]

Another comedian... grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
� I will ask Rick Bin to make this a "sticky".

Which'll still appear at the top of everybody's screen in AD 2114. frown

"Good enough" isn't.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ed!

Marking my calendar. Hoping to be there!

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ed!
Marking my calendar. Hoping to be there!
Bob

Great!

Ed

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I always loved Central and Eastern Texas.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My main hope is that a good many new folks will come find-out first-hand how great these gatherings are.

I'm eager to see the pix.

"Good enough" isn't.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ed

It is on my calendar.
My two sons and I will be there.

Let me know if you need anything.

Dave

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Does this invite include newbies? I have been hoping for a gathering close enough to attend.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,042
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.