Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very helpful fellas, thanks!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ctsmith - what do you think about the EH3 as a general purpose stock? I see the closed/vertical grip and it makes me think of LD shooting from prone. How is it for off-hand, kneeling, etc?

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Everybody is different, I can't say how you'd like it. But for me its perfect for an all around stock, being well balanced for prone and upright positions. Compare the grip to the EH1 and you'll realize its far from closed/vertical.

In the McMillan line I guess the New McMillan Hunter is the closest match, and I far prefer the EH3.

Have no worries. It is great in all shooting positions.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I know this is an old post but does anybody have a picture of an SL on the board to compare? Thanks. Tony.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Spent a little time with the EH3 this weekend. Light, seems fairly stiff. A little worried that the blind mag area is weak as it seems very thin. Manners leaves a noticeably bigger inlet gap around the barrel than McMillan...more of a tactical free float. The design is not really my cup of tea for a hunting stock, but that's personal preference. Should work well from prone...but virtually none of my hunting is from prone.

A heads up for anyone planning on going ADL with one...the bottom will be FLAT...as in flat as an iron. Had I known this I would have gone with a detachable bottom metal inlet. Live and learn.

Manner's customer service was pretty good. The inletting was goofed. Mag box inlet for a standard SA 700 was to far back by almost a 1/2" and the front pillar was to short to be bedded in (and act as a pillar). I mailed it back with my barreled action and they fixed the inlet, replaced the pillar, glass/pillar bedded it, and mailed it back. Only cost me a month of time and shipping back to them.

Just my $.02 from a sample of 1.

IC B2

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Manner's customer service was pretty good. The inletting was goofed. Mag box inlet for a standard SA 700 was to far back by almost a 1/2" and the front pillar was to short to be bedded in (and act as a pillar). I mailed it back with my barreled action and they fixed the inlet, replaced the pillar, glass/pillar bedded it, and mailed it back. Only cost me a month of time and shipping back to them.

My experience with Tom's customer service has been fantastic but the flip side to that is I've had to use it way too much. I've ordered several stocks and more times than not they've had to go back due to wrong specs (LOP, etc.). I personally know others with similar experiences. Its QC problems that seems could easily be rectified.

Hate to hear about the flatiron bottom. Never handled one in ADL to know.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by TonyNC
I know this is an old post but does anybody have a picture of an SL on the board to compare? Thanks. Tony.
I have a new Manners SL molded in camo(26oz) sitting in my closet, but only have Mcmillan classics for comparison. If your interested I can throw up some pics of the SL here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The EH3 looks alot like the GP/HTG

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The EH3 has less drop at heel than the HTG. I cant get the pad of the HTG into my shoulder from prone. Its too low. The EH3 is more trim than the HTG, its proportions are that of a "sporter" stock.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'll concur, the EH3 has a higher heel, a higher comb, and a slimmer everything compared with the HTG.

The grips do look similar, and the grip (from prone) is my least favorite part of the EH3.

Empirical results rule!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by TonyNC
I have a new Manners SL molded in camo(26oz) sitting in my closet, but only have Mcmillan classics for comparison. If your interested I can throw up some pics of the SL here.

I'd appreciate seeing that. I'm collecting parts for new build and was thinking about using the Manners SL, I'm a big fan of the McMillan Classic so was wondering how they would compare.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

My experience with Tom's customer service has been fantastic but the flip side to that is I've had to use it way too much. I've order several stocks and more times than not they've had to go back due to wrong specs (LOP, etc.). I personally know others with similar experiences. Its seems like its QC problems that could easily be rectified.

Hate to hear about the flatiron bottom. Never handled one in ADL to know.

Yeah, good customer service is important...but if it has to be used all the time something ain't right. Hope to spend a little more time behind the trigger on this one in the next week, after that it will probably be spring before I spend much time with it. From Oct 10 to Jan 31 trigger time is greatly reduced...1 or 2 rounds in a good week.

Let me know when you're planning on coming up!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I'd appreciate seeing that.
No problem. Classic molded in color with #3 barrel and Manners SL molded in camo carbon fiber with #4 barrel.

Stocks are similar IMO, Manners has a small cheek piece like the Mcmillan Mnt rifle.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by slg888; 09/30/14.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Excellent thank you! So it looks like the SL has a bit of a longer fore-end than the Classic? Looks like they are similar otherwise except for the check piece which is nice.
Of the two - do you have a preference for either one?

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by slg888

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I see you've got the iron-flat ADL as well! No better way to go if you like a brick shaped carry handle on your rifle. wink

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The flat bottom is an absolute deal breaker for me on a hunting rifle stock. I'm not interested in spending all that money for the ergonomics of a 2x4.

The other potential issue with the SL is it's right hand only arrangement. Not an ambidextrous stock.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The flat bottom is an absolute deal breaker for me on a hunting rifle stock. I'm not interested in spending all that money for the ergonomics of a 2x4.

The other potential issue with the SL is it's right hand only arrangement. Not an ambidextrous stock.

The EH3 is ambidextrous/no cheek piece. The ergo's of the EH3 aren't bad for shooting, different from what I prefer, but not bad. The flat bottom kills it though... I wonder if it could be changed from an ADL to an Atlasworx detachable mag inlet?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Excellent thank you! So it looks like the SL has a bit of a longer fore-end than the Classic? Looks like they are similar otherwise except for the check piece which is nice.
Of the two - do you have a preference for either one?
If you stand both stocks side x side on their recoil pad the SL is 1/2" longer. I like both stocks, but if I had to choose only one it would be the Manners. The Manners forend/grip texture has a much nicer usuable feel vs the conventional old checkering on the Classics.

FYI the SL is 26oz, Classis is 30oz

Last edited by slg888; 09/30/14.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Correct, the EH3 is ambi, just wanted to point out that the SL is not.

The issue with going to a DBM setup is that it further exacerbates the carrying situation. Put enough weight out front where the rifle balances in front of the magazine, thus allowing one handed carry, and you'll have a 9 lb. plus rifle. The entire situation turn into what I like to call "your basic clusterphuck". tired

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Correct, the EH3 is ambi, just wanted to point out that the SL is not.

The issue with going to a DBM setup is that it further exacerbates the carrying situation. Put enough weight out front where the rifle balances in front of the magazine, thus allowing one handed carry, and you'll have a 9 lb. plus rifle. The entire situation turn into what I like to call "your basic clusterphuck". tired

Yep... The idea of a DBM was simply to make it a fun gun rather than a hunter.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.