Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If Cancun is a possibility, I can certainly recommend this place.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ve-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#REVIEWS

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by G23
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I've never been to the Caribbean so I'm happy to hear from those who have. Looks like we may need to rethink our destination. Since this is our first trip, we're thinking of an "all inclusive" resort. What's your opinion on those?

G23

Don't give up on Jamaica based solely on negative reports from those here or anywhere. We did the same for a long time, always wanting to go but always changing our minds off of reports. One year, about 10 years ago, we said [bleep] it and went and had a great time. We stayed at Couples in Ocho Rios, ventured off of the property a few times, and really enjoyed ourselves. Will you walk the streets of Kingston at night? Hell no! Can you enjoy the people, the food, the beaches, the music, and some adventure? Hell ya! Would we go back? Yes, and when we do, we will try Negril just for a change.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And oh, if you do decide to go elsewhere our two other favorite trips have been to Costa Rica (amazing) and Aruba (great beaches and very relaxing).

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've been to a number of places in the Caribbean over the years, stayed at various levels of hotels, all-inclusives, etc. Any more, my Caribbean vacation of choice is, as a previous poster mentioned, Royal Caribbean cruises. Clean, great food, economical, can't beat it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been to Jamaica 18 times in the last few years and Stayed 90% of the time at Grand Lido Braco Negril and married to my wife in Ocho Rios at Grand Lido Sans Souci Resort. If going again i would stay at Grand Lido Sans Souci .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to Ocho Rios and stayed at the classic Jamaica Inn. Dunns River Falls is near Ocho as well, and that is a great day trip. Beach was amazing.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been to Negril 10 years in a row, with 11 coming at the end of this month. Love it. Stay at Couples SweptAway every year.

We avoided Jamaica for YEARS because of all the negative things heard about crime and poverty. Tried St. Lucia and the Rastas macheted a bunch of folks in a Catholic church on New Years Day.

Had a college buddy of mine, former heavy weight wrestler attacked in St. Martin a few year back while doing day time tourist things with wife and kids. Been to Martinique, been insulted in the Bahamas.

IT'S THE PHOOKING 3RD WORLD FOLKS!

Negril is laid back as safe as anywhere in the 3rd world AS LONG AS YOU USE YOUR HEAD! You want to go someplace, hire a driver from the resort. They will keep you out of trouble. Don't go drinking with the locals at 1 am in the nasty part of town (or any other place off the resort at 1 am).

Don't go exploring by yourself. Don't walk around looking like a tourist that has money and needs to be mugged.

Now, follow those rules, you'll have a great time. By all accounts, Ocho has more problem with crime an assault and people hassling you to buy weed. Almost none of that in Negril.

Once you get in tune with Jamaicans, you will find them happy, friendly, and a good lot. It is the 3rd world, and if it's ain't nailed down, it will get stolen. Resorts have very good security, and the locals all know tourism is the goose that lays jobs. They are grateful for it.

Hells bells, I've been to Cameroon, Tanzania, Zambia, ZIm, RSA, Mexico, Argentina, and a whole load of other more civilized (supposedly) places. The above rules apply to anywhere.

We have never stayed at Beaches, Negril, but it is directly ajoining SweptaAway. We have toured it and it is nice. Beach is great, water wonderful, and plenty of day trips to keep things fun is you need to get out and about.

I play golf 2-3 every trip at the local course. Nothing special but inexpensive and the caddies are great! Know the rules of the game, read greens like pros, and will remember us year to year.

There are Falls similar to Dunn's River near Negril. Catamaran sunset cruises along the cliffs of the west end is cool. Food is excellent at Swept Away as is the entertainment each night, Been there so often that we know the owners (Lee Issa) and others there and dine out at local spots with them on occasion.

They have customs and transfers down to science in Montego Bay. Word of caution - if you are reading this, don't even think about Kingston! Jamaicans bitch about the horrid crime there and only go to visit relatives is needed. Nothing for tourists in Kingston but trouble and tourists don't go there.

I avoided Jamaica, but enjoy it now. Give it a try.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,358
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.