Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just read the G&A article touting (of course) the new GLock model 42 in 380. When they got around to listing this new firearms wieght, length, width, hieght etc. the first thing I did was to retreive my Compact 380 and 9mm's and quickly learned that this supposed 'mouse gun' is larger than other 380's like my P3AT and is large enough to be out of the running as a pocket gun. In fact, it is as large as many 9mm's on the market including my wifes PF-9.

So, my thinking is this: If I am going to carry a gun the same size as many 9mm pistols, it is going to BE a 9mm or a 40 S&W.
I am certainly not going to buy a 380 that is so big it requires a belt holster. If I have to carry a pistol in a holster with a cover garment, it is going to be at LEAST a 9mm, and probably a darned sight bigger than even that.

So, I am going to predict this one fails to get much penetration ion the market. What do you think?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's a Glock, it will sell. The diehards will tout it as the greatest .380 ever, everything else will be garbage, anyone who buys anything else will be a moron. The rest of us will look at it as you did, yawn & buy an LCP or simular.

LGS had a Solo in the case yesterday, it was cute. Not $800 cute though.

P.S. I'm not a Glock hater. I promise.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
I just read the G&A article touting (of course) the new GLock model 42 in 380. When they got around to listing this new firearms wieght, length, width, hieght etc. the first thing I did was to retreive my Compact 380 and 9mm's and quickly learned that this supposed 'mouse gun' is larger than other 380's like my P3AT and is large enough to be out of the running as a pocket gun. In fact, it is as large as many 9mm's on the market including my wifes PF-9.

So, my thinking is this: If I am going to carry a gun the same size as many 9mm pistols, it is going to BE a 9mm or a 40 S&W.
I am certainly not going to buy a 380 that is so big it requires a belt holster. If I have to carry a pistol in a holster with a cover garment, it is going to be at LEAST a 9mm, and probably a darned sight bigger than even that.

So, I am going to predict this one fails to get much penetration ion the market. What do you think?
What I think is if it works out of the box then it will trump the similar Kel Tec offerings.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Your thinking makes sense to me too.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Being Glock it will have market it could be a good pistol for those who are a bit recoil sensitive the 380 in a bit larger then avarage pocket gun would be a very "easy" shooter

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ldholton
Being Glock it will have market it could be a good pistol for those who are a bit recoil sensitive the 380 in a bit larger then avarage pocket gun would be a very "easy" shooter

Might be a good little CCW for the ladies, 80 gr Barnes Tac-Hp's at 1000 fps will turn or stop a charging crackhead. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
People will still buy them, just because it's a Glock. Glock fanboys will tout it as the best .380 ever. Not a hater either, I used them for 15yrs and just found something I like better.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I agree. We sell a lot of Walther PK380's to women. The Glock seems to fill the same niche. That being said, it would have sold a lot more as a 9mm.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Glock 380 has been a good seller in the European Counties and i'm glad Glock is finally bringing it to this country . Will be a great conceal carry weapon for recoil shy people and much more dependable than the line up of cheap made 380's selling here today in the country. I may buy one for the wife to play with . I personally wouldn't give my wife a pistol for self defense i wouldn't feel comfortable carrying myself .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
the ladies usually do better with less recoil and a little bigger gun helps that. if its made by glock it will more then likely be a hot seller for a while. a thumb safety would make it alittle more wanted by the ladies.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
9mm tends to make the 380 obsolete? Better performance with the same bullet and less expensive ammo. 9mm can be found in guns almost similar in size of the 380 now. Can't see getting/owning a 380 unless I already had one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by srwshooter
the ladies usually do better with less recoil and a little bigger gun helps that. if its made by glock it will more then likely be a hot seller for a while. a thumb safety would make it alittle more wanted by the ladies.

My concern would be the woman (or man) who simply loads it up and drops it into their purse. To mingle around with all the other crap. Think "chapstick jammed in the trigger guard" and the issues that may cause.

I can see a lot of ND/AD's taking place as it floats around the purse or as someone simply reaches in and grabs it out of the mess.

Theoretically that would happen with any Glock but I've yet to see someone carry a larger Glock in such a manner.

Me

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No way would I ever take a 380 when there are much better choices available. 380 = 9mm short and weak. No other way to slice it.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Esox357
9mm tends to make the 380 obsolete? Better performance with the same bullet and less expensive ammo. 9mm can be found in guns almost similar in size of the 380 now. Can't see getting/owning a 380 unless I already had one.

Kind of what I was thinking with my post. Why carry this when there are a plethora of 9mm's the same size?

I have a Kel Tec P3AT 380, and it runs perfect, but I only carry it when I have to have true pocket carry and cannot figure out a way to carry my 1911, and thses times are getting more rare as I add holsters to my 1911 holster collection and continue to modify my wardrobe.

RE the .380 round, when I carry it, it is stuffed with Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo. 4 rounds of 100gr FNHC that chronograph 1150 from my gun and 3 95gr HP's that chronograph a full 1225 from my tiny pistol. That is all she holds, and they are alternating in my gun/magazine. IMO, that stuff brings the 380 to a whole different level of effectiveness or 'nastiness'. Water jug testing and the NRA's testing bear this out. The Buffalo Bore FNHC'sd 100's blew through their (NRA's) entire gelatin blocks even after penetrating various things in front of it like denim etc. They smack my index finger first knuckle pretty badly in recoil, but for what this gun is for, I don't care about that in the least.

Yeah the Glock die hards might buy a few of these, but I cannot see someone comparing this pistol to others out there with an open mind and picking it over many better options in this size class. Meaning, plenty of really good 9mm's that are the same size, essentially, and that work just fine. And lots of good, reliable 380's that are truly pocket sized.

Last edited by safariman; 01/05/14.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
...until one realizes that it's a couple of tweaks away from a single stack, slim 9mm Glock wink

Add a .22 conversion (eventually from AA?) and it may well be 9 oz rimfire semi-auto also.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alukban
...until one realizes that it's a couple of tweaks away from a single stack, slim 9mm Glock wink

Add a .22 conversion (eventually from AA?) and it may well be 9 oz rimfire semi-auto also.

If they modify this pistol to be a full 9mm, and it looks like that should be do able, then I would see a real niche' for this gun.

Such a piece might even get my wife to trade off her Kel Tec PF-9 - that she likes a LOT - and seriously consider the Glock. As it stands now, the 9mm Glocks are just too phat and big for her 5'10" 120lbs self to carry and conceal well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are You insane this gun isn't going to be a flop. The Gun is under 14 0z with mag! !!!! I will predict they will not be able to make them fast enough. Its still .94 in width. Which is pretty slim. The other thing that's clear to me is this gun will be a 9mm before long. The other thing is those of you saying flop let me ask how many 380's have you owned. All the ones I owned were not that reliable. If thIs is glock reliable. I could see it really putting a hurt on the other 380's. Back to 9m m speculation. If this happens I am glad they are not trying to put a 40 in the same gun or worse yet a 45 like xd did.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
those who are a bit recoil sensitive the 380

I have a heluva time grasping the thought that the 380 kicks too much. Typical of a society where we give the same trophy to our losers as our winners, if you can't handle a 9 then carry something smaller just to carry something that you can "easily" handle. How about learning to shoot?

Reminds me of when I worked at at Donner Ski Ranch in the Sierras. We rented skis to people. Newbies would come through and we would issue a ski length proper for their height and weight. Well, they often would return shortly after with those skis in hand, saying that someone told them to get shorter skis because they couldn't steer the ones they had. A simple $12 beginning ski lesson would have taught them all they needed, but they would rather flail around on undersized boards because someone equally clueless gave them the "easy" way out.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Never seen a 380 that is in my opinion reliable in the terminal performance arena. If a 380 is all one can handle then it sure beats finger nails other wise it ain't much. At least in me experience.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't own a 380, and cannot make a good argument in favor of one. That said, they ARE wildly popular. So are Glocks. Hard to envision a Glock 380 not selling well, despite overall size being larger than some others.

As far as size goes, I've only shot a few 380s along the way, and my favorite by a huge margin was the 'large' Beretta 84, second was the Sig P230.

I'm not really a fan of tiny pistols though. Since I carry in a holster anyway, I just go straight to the Glock 17.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by jwp475

No way would I ever take a 380 when there are much better choices available. 380 = 9mm short and weak. No other way to slice it.
I'm sure that it's not being marketed to people like you. There are a lot of older women who come into the store whose husbands have finally convinced them that they need to carry a gun. A big 380 is all they can (or want to) handle.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker

I'm sure that it's not being marketed to people like you. There are a lot of older women who come into the store whose husbands have finally convinced them that they need to carry a gun. A big 380 is all they can (or want to) handle.

I agree that for some a 380 or a 32 ACP is about all they can handle and is a logical choice in that situation. My wife is a prime example.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
...it will do well in the Global market..in countries where a it is illegal to own a handgun that fires a military cartridge..such as 9mm.

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
� Leo Tolstoy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For this slightly larger sized .380 the Ruger SR380 has been on the market for awhile now. And for those that want one, it has a thumb safety.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I believe that you mean LC380.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that you mean LC380.

You're right...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They'll sell a ton of them, and you'll still be a [bleep] idiot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Drop a 32 NAA barrel in it and it would be downright fun. I have big hands and all the mini and slightly mini guns don't fit me well. If it fit, I would like it.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I don't own a 380, and cannot make a good argument in favor of one. That said, they ARE wildly popular. So are Glocks. Hard to envision a Glock 380 not selling well, despite overall size being larger than some others.

As far as size goes, I've only shot a few 380s along the way, and my favorite by a huge margin was the 'large' Beretta 84, second was the Sig P230.

I'm not really a fan of tiny pistols though. Since I carry in a holster anyway, I just go straight to the Glock 17.

It is kinda big for a .380. I've a little Ruger but I have it because it fits in the bib pocket of overalls. It's small, it's supposed to be. I carry it on my constitutions, not because I'm worried about two legged threats it's dogs. My puppy pistol.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I am still hoping for a single stack 9mm or .40 that will offer an advantage over a 19 or 23 in concealability. In reality if I am taking the time to use a proper holster and cover garment I dont need anything much smaller than the 23.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter

+1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I am still hoping for a single stack 9mm or .40 that will offer an advantage over a 19 or 23 in concealability. In reality if I am taking the time to use a proper holster and cover garment I dont need anything much smaller than the 23.

I'm hoping for the same thing, but they'll still sell the .380's like hot cakes. Glock reliability, real sights, less than an inch thick, and under 13oz. A person could go a lot further wrong than that.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
They'll sell a ton of them, and you'll still be a [bleep] idiot.

A difference of opinion is fine, and even quite good for forums such as these. But why the name calling? My IQ testing years ago and my carreer's before getting ill proved me to be quite far from an 'idiot' so that part had no effect on me or anyone who knows me and what I have accomplished. Where did that come from here, and more to the point why in a simple opinion piece?

I stand by my OPINION or view that these will be seen as too big for a 380 and not sell too well with so many good smaller 380's like the new Taurus, the P3AT and highly successful LCP.

I agree 100% with other posters who predict MUCH success if this pistol comes out, in this size, in 9mm caliber.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Kel Tec .380 that I call my dog shooter. It's nice and light and small and when loaded with Buffalo Bores it's ok in the performance department.

A couple of years ago we had a shooting here where a jealous husband shot his wife's lover, who was an attorney, with a .380 twice, once in the chest and once in the head at fairly close distance. Result....one dead attorney. That upped my opinion of the round but I only carry it when I don't think I will need it and it's a last minute add. Darn thing is ok in accuracy at about the 7-10 yard line. My EDC is a G27.

Any Glock, especially a new one will sell. Many of the ladies like that caliber and the reliability of a Glock will close the deal. As has been mentioned, a step up to a 9mm in this same format seems possible and probably.

However I wonder how it would compare to the G26/G27 that have that extra 11/10 rounds. Granted it would be thinner and lighter and perhaps that will cause the demand. I keep looking for a CC shooter that is as accurate, has the additional rounds, power, and the reliability of a G27. These mouse guns are fun but it you ever need to hit something at say 20+ yards many of them would be better served to empty the gun and then throw it at the bad guy.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Using your logic a 22 short should be a good self defense round after all people have been killed with them. In fact people have died from BB guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redhill

A couple of years ago we had a shooting here where a jealous husband shot his wife's lover, who was an attorney, with a .380 twice, once in the chest and once in the head at fairly close distance. Result....one dead attorney.

It doesn't take much to kill an attorney. They don't fight for a living. They talk for a living.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 01/06/14.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

It doesn't take much to kill an attorney. They don't fight for a living. They talk for a living.

Well, you know what they say about salesmen & lawyers..........if their lips are moving they're lying. laugh

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It won't be a flop - it says Glock on it - but it's certainly not what we wanted.

This "little" glock is bigger than many of the 9mms coming out now. Check out the new little 9 from Remington. It looks sweeeeet. You've also got the shield, the XDs, and several others that are all great.

Glock is a day late and a dollar short. If they brought this pistol to market in 2000, they'd have a winner. Right now, they'll sell some, but only to glock guys. Too many other great options right now.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
Check out the new little 9 from Remington. It looks sweeeeet.
Indeed it does. I'm definitely going to pick one of those up in February. See The Remington Here

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It won't be a flop - it says Glock on it - but it's certainly not what we wanted.

This "little" glock is bigger than many of the 9mms coming out now. Check out the new little 9 from Remington. It looks sweeeeet. You've also got the shield, the XDs, and several others that are all great.

Glock is a day late and a dollar short. If they brought this pistol to market in 2000, they'd have a winner. Right now, they'll sell some, but only to glock gutys. Too many other great options right now.
the little 9 from remington is 20 oz heavier than a shield or a glock 26. The fact is this new glock sounds about the size of the kahr cm and pm 9 that sOunds like a nice size gun if you ask me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Glock is a day late and a dollar short. If they brought this pistol to market in 2000, they'd have a winner. Right now, they'll sell some, but only to glock gutys. Too many other great options right now.
the little 9 from remington is 20 oz heavier than a shield or a glock 26. The fact is this new glock sounds about the size of the kahr cm and pm 9 that sOunds like a nice size gun if you ask me.

It IS a nice sized gun, for a 9mm..... Too big for a 380 IMO. By quite a bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

well then don't buy one, all the tiny 380's I have owned were junk, LCP, TCP, kahrs p380, all of them had one thing I really didn't like rack the slide to feed the first round and the feeding was very notchy. I suspect this is because the gun was so small.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
CC, you make a great point. It is terrific that we all have SO many great choices these days! Truly a golden era right now for handgun buyers, IMO. I don't mind the notchy feel of the extra small guns, but to some, that might be a deal killer like an external safety on all but a 1911 is for me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not all handgun purchasers are high-speed low drag. I'm thinking there will be quite a few of these sold to Glock fanboys for sure, but also to those that might appreciate the ergonomics of a handgun that doesn't weigh a ton, has an easy to rack slide, with a long enough slim grip and the hope of less recoil and blast than a 9mm and with an ammo capacity that they perceive as enough. They will be bought by some high-speed glock fanboys, but will also end up in the hands of grandmothers, mothers and sweethearts. Many will go no further than the range, nightstand or dresser drawer, the same as happens to a goodly chunk of handguns sold regardless of what we loonies would like to think.

If the most diverse market that firearms owners has ever seen in the history of the world adds one more quality handgun of any stripe, I will not complain if it doesn't fit into my vision of a "must have". The market will sort out the winners and losers. I think there is a market... but not at my house.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
this is a big deal for glock IMO and one frankly I am surprised they are doing. this gun is a TOTAL departure from anything they have made before in alot of ways. All the other models are simply variations of one another, the bigger frame guns like the 10mm and 45's are simply scaled up from the original glock 17, never has glock made a gun smaller than the 17 original platform. yeah we have the 26 and 27 but they are just shortened grips and slides. I can't see them making this change without a 9mm version soon to come.

when it comes to glock 17 and 19 class guns and to an extent the 26 as well, no one beats the weight of glocks, M&P and XD's are always a couple ounces more. Glocks typically have a better trigger too. no one has stepped up with a lighter gun in the same size class that has a better trigger. if they can produce a 9mm and only add 2 oz to what they already go with the g42 AND keep the famous glock trigger with it. everyone is toast in pocket 9 mm's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they will sell and will sale well!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The new Glock is fairly small and certainly weighs less than my older .380's (an old AMT Backup II and an FEG Mark II APK), but for a small increase in size my HK USP Compact/.40 S&W really inspires my confidence.

Good luck to Glock, they'll probably sell a million of 'em! That's all I can contribute....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

well then don't buy one, all the tiny 380's I have owned were junk, LCP, TCP, kahrs p380

My Khar 380 has yet to hiccup, even during the "break in".

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Exactly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
....Glock is a day late and a dollar short. If they brought this pistol to market in 2000, they'd have a winner. Right now, they'll sell some, but only to glock guys. Too many other great options right now.

Glock has a history of being a day late and a dollar short - and still coming out ahead. And there are a lot of Glock guys who will buy it, I'll bet, although maybe not for their own use in a lot of cases.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wait a minute....

..We got stovepipe jams, and when the shell did eject properly, the action didn�t go into battery fully...

Ruht roh...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

well then don't buy one, all the tiny 380's I have owned were junk, LCP, TCP, kahrs p380, all of them had one thing I really didn't like rack the slide to feed the first round and the feeding was very notchy. I suspect this is because the gun was so small.

Plus 1, from my POV.

I just can't see the need for the micro 380's & 9mm's.......all of the numerous ones I've shot, shoot for schitt & I place handling & shoot-ability above size & conceal-ability for Joe Citizen.

If I really feel the need for a pocket gun, which I do fairly frequently, then I will carry a J-frame S&W; it carries just fine in a front jeans pocket or various types of khaki or cargo type pants or shorts & IMO, has a much better trigger & is infinitely more shootable than any of the micro 380 or 9mm's.

I do, somewhat infrequently carry a G-26/27, in a holster & it's also a very usable & shootable sized package, but it is not a pocket gun & at about the same size, I don't think the new G-42 will be a pocket gun either.

If for some strange reason I might decide that I need to carry a 380 or a 9mm in a pocket, then it would have to be a jacket pocket & would be the size of a PPK or similar, or maybe the new Glock, but really, I don't think I will be buying one as, at least for me, it doesn't fill any need not already filled by something else done better.

But if I did want a new, shootable sized 380, then I would surely give it a try.

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I agree.

J-Frame or LCR for me. I can't stand the little .380's and I've yet to meet a person that can shoot one worth a schit.

As far as guns for a jacket pocket, I am loving the P7 right now.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I can't stand the little .380's and I've yet to meet a person that can shoot one worth a schit.

Travis

Some say they do...........just sayin'. wink

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Looks like there were some reliability issues with it

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I agree.

J-Frame or LCR for me. I can't stand the little .380's and I've yet to meet a person that can shoot one worth a schit.

Travis

i'll second on the LCR (and though heavier and not mentioned--a mention on the sp 101).

...sure glad that the venerable p7 is working out well for you. if you tote yours in the pocket--it's the acme of a "pocket rig" to be sure--and very safe, much like the dao pocket rigs that are so much in vogue these days--rigs so much more difficult to shoot well at heightened firing speeds.

at times there are some anomalies, particulary so with the escorts and jaguars. sometimes a few others too;

when the ruger lcp (elsie pea), first came out, a friend of mine bought one. he brought it along one day for testing--it was september of 2008.

surprisingly, it fed several different brands of ammo very reliably. i decided to see how accurate the gun was, especially when coupled with it's rather rudimentary sights--when fired at what might be called somewhat more than "long" distance--for a pipsqueak pistol.

i fired 5 rounds offhand at 20 yards, shooting at a paper plate at slower speed. surprisingly, all five rounds struck inside the inner circle of the plate--i thought this indicated some fairly decent capability for that specific little pistol, with that specific ammo...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have not seen any photos on top of a G19 or G26 but this has more pics than I have seen elsewhere. Notice the size on top of the box of WWB.

G42

I found another size comparison photo...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by supercrewd; 01/07/14.

NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Little guns have always outsold big guns, and by a wide margin. Look how many more .36 percussion Colts were sold than .44s, and they sold even more .32s.

My hideout gun is a .45 btw - but I think Glock will sell a lot of the .380s. If the arthritis in my hands keeps getting worse, they may even sell one to me.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I can't stand the little .380's and I've yet to meet a person that can shoot one worth a schit.

Travis

MM

Oh I know. From the 3yd line they're incredible.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

i fired 5 rounds offhand at 20 yards, shooting at a paper plate at slower speed. surprisingly, all five rounds struck inside the inner circle of the plate--i thought this indicated some fairly decent capability for that specific little pistol, with that specific ammo...

I'd keep that one... grin

Travis

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
. B

Travis

P-7's shoot vey well in my experience

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, Walther is obviously selling enough PPK's to keep them in production. That, to me, is a very oversized .380 but people buy them. So I really don't see the Glock's size being a detriment.

This is not new, Glock has made their downsized .380's for years.

With advances in ammunition and firearms' design, the .380 is much more viable than in years past. Yes, the 9mm is "better" but it also comes in a larger package. I have yet to see one I'd want in my pocket. A pocket .380 is an excellent choice when you don't want or need the bulk of a larger handgun. I carry my S&W Bodyguard .380 quite often, when a 1911 is not wanted or convenient. It easily slips into a coat or pants pocket and is much flatter than a J-frame. I've put probably 1000rds through it over the last two years and it shoots very well. Unlike a lot of pocket guns, the S&W has real sights, plus the integral laser. Paint can sized targets are easy prey at 25yds. I guarantee nobody wants to stand 50yds away and let me shoot at them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CraigC
Well, Walther is obviously selling enough PPK's to keep them in production. That, to me, is a very oversized .380 but people buy them.
People mainly buy them for James Bond nostalgia.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Any 380 no matter what the size thats on your person when you need it is better than 9,40,45 at home.
Wife aahs a bresa380 thunder that ia can ring 6" plates at 25 yrds with regularity

Last edited by ldholton; 01/08/14.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If I'm gonna carry a "mouse gun" (which I never will) it dang sure wouldn't be as big a Glock, too many much smaller pistols in .380 to carry a Glock...........Hb

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
If I'm gonna carry a "mouse gun" (which I never will) it dang sure wouldn't be as big a Glock, too many much smaller pistols in .380 to carry a Glock...........Hb
Stated differently, if I'm going to carry something the size of a micro 9mm, I'm going to make it a 9mm and not a .380.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Stated differently, if I'm going to carry something the size of a micro 9mm, I'm going to make it a 9mm and not a .380.

Perzzactly my thoughts on the matter when I started the thread.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The size difference might not be as much as some think. Every time we sell one of the micro 380's, people ask "Do you have the extended mags and the pinkie extensions?". Maybe with the Glock they won't have to.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The size difference might not be as much as some think. Every time we sell one of the micro 380's, people ask "Do you have the extended mags and the pinkie extensions?". Maybe with the Glock they won't have to.

I don't. I want a 380 to easily drop into a pocket and dissapear from sight and mind until called upon. That, and work when the trigger is pulled is all I ask of them. Lots of them do this, (hide out and shoot reliably) but IME adding the finger extension often takes them out of the drop into a pocket size range.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried the finger extension on my PF9. Took it back off after one range session. The only reason I can see having a .380 that is larger than a PF9, is if physical limitations of the shooter are involved.

I still think the G42 will sell well enough, though.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
It will sell...... for no other reason than it's a Glock and many will buy...................Hb

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
i think so too. it will flop. I just see no reason for this gun with all of the other 380's out there. I also heard they are pre-selling for $570???? are you nuts? i can get a shield for about half that, same size and its a 9mm,. Walther, and ruger already make 380's the same size as the glock and for far less $$$

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by semi
i think so too. it will flop. I just see no reason for this gun with all of the other 380's out there. I also heard they are pre-selling for $570???? are you nuts? i can get a shield for about half that, same size and its a 9mm,. Walther, and ruger already make 380's the same size as the glock and for far less $$$
A Shield for less than $300?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by semi
A Shield for less than $300?

This was the best I ever found.

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
"I have a heluva time grasping the thought that the 380 kicks too much."

I've owned a few .380's and it's NOT the kick, but most sure bite the hell out of your finger at the grip! I still own (3), two of which are Sig 238's, which are by far the best available IMO. I do think the Glock will be success & will lead to a single stack 9mm.

Last edited by coltchris; 01/10/14.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by coltchris
I do think the Glock will be success & will lead to a single stack 9mm.
Now that might interest me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grasping a 380 that kicks too much,

when I used to own a LCP touching that thing off with buffalo bore 100 grainers was like taking an a piece of steel pipe in your bare hand and wacking a piece of rail road track with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that this gun doesn't really offer anything new and, on paper, shouldn't be a hot seller. However, I disagree with the notion that it will be a "flop." I think the gun will be as successful as any other micro .380, for the following reasons:

1. It's a Glock. Glock is the gold standard to some people. They will never say or listen to anything bad about Glock. Granted, Glock has earned much of its reputation, and when you put a Glock gun and a Glock fan in the same room, you'll only hear good things said. At a gun counter, right or wrong, that sells guns.

2. Glock Marketing. Glock could produce a spud gun and successfully market it as an excellent choice for home defense. Glock knows how to market.

3. Gun salesmen will sell them to women. Sales guys who have never owned or even shot a .380 will convince women that the .380 is a significant step down in recoil from a 9mm. "If you're scared to death of a 9mm, a .380 is the answer! You will shoot it accurately, and it's a cupcake!" The sub-compact .380 market proves that everyday. And I'm not being critical of the .380's abilities as a useful cartridge, I'm just saying that the reasons that people use to justify buying .380 are often flawed. Any woman (or man) who struggles to shoot a 9mm due to recoil, won't do better with a .380; and, anyone who shoots a .380 well, can easily step up to a 9mm.

4. Price. Most buyers will be influenced by price. That's where Glock marketing will come back into play. Glock could likely sell these for $350 MSRP and make money. However, like the rest of us, they want to sell their product for as much as the market will bear. If $500+ isn't selling enough guns for them, they'll come down until they find their price point.

Anyway, that's my two cents. For as long as America wants to buy .380's, I think Glock will continue to successfully sell them.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
UPDATE:

I went to the local gun show this weekend. I got to handle a Glock 42. I'm no Glockaholic, but I liked it. A lot, actually. It's sleek (under 6" long and only .94" thick) and yet still feels like a real gun. It's got regular Glock sights and the trigger feels like any other Glock (be that a good thing or a bad thing for you).

For the Glock crowd especially, I think it's a nice choice. One of the things I wonder about when I talk carry guns with folks are the people who switch their EDC gun almost daily. Each gun has different features/controls. For many it's probably no big deal--they know all of their guns well, but for others (who shoot their guns once or twice a year) I wonder how well they will do in a stressful situation and they need to recall if their gun-of-the-day has a manual safety and where it's located. With the Glock 42, it feels like a shrunk down G19. There's nothing new to learn or remember.

I might get to shoot the G42 later this week. If so, I'll let you know my two cents on it. (I have no plans to buy it, but I'd still like to bang away with it just for giggles). My lingering criticism (of a gun I've never shot smile ) is why didn't they just chamber it for 9x19? A single stack 9mm would have been cool! They could have copied their own G26 design and just slimmed it down. It probably comes back to marketing: "Oh yeah, the .380 is so much more gentle in the recoil department!" Gun stores will sell them to ladies all day long.

Has anybody had the chance to own/shoot a G42? How do you like it?

Wade

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
My lingering criticism (of a gun I've never shot smile ) is why didn't they just chamber it for 9x19?

Because this way they can sell .380s to all the guys who really wanted 9mms. Then in a year or so they can release a 9mm and sell them to all the guys who bought .380s. They're selling twice as many guns this way.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A slight aside.......just bought a new Ruger LC9s Saturday. It's a single stack, 7+1magazine, striker fired 9mm that fits in a front jeans pocket just fine. It has a 3.125" barrel and Novak three-dot sights, and a frame mounted safety that is easy to use. I've only shot one box of FMJ's (50 rnds) thru, but no malfunctions. Might be worth a look. $339.00 plus tax out the door. Weight empty is 17 ozs.

[Linked Image]

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I bought a 42 last weekend for $379+tax. Ran 50 rounds thru it and so far I'm quite pleased with it. I had been looking for a 'pocket' pistol and it was between this and a Smith 442 airweight. The best I could do on the Smith was $450. Soo, my cheap side won out this time. I've never owned a 380 and I almost feel dirty lol.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That little bastid ain't gotta light rail. WTF are they thinking?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Waders
My lingering criticism (of a gun I've never shot smile ) is why didn't they just chamber it for 9x19?

Because this way they can sell .380s to all the guys who really wanted 9mms. Then in a year or so they can release a 9mm and sell them to all the guys who bought .380s. They're selling twice as many guns this way.

yeah I do think that is what they did. it looks to me like they could easily put the 9mm in the same gun. I looked at that lc9 striker fired gun the other day. couple things I assume the metal finish is the same as they put on the LCP if it is, it sure as hell aint anywhere near close to what glock puts on their guns. it rubs off quite quickly. I would want a bi tone model if they offer it. The other is I didn't think the trigger was all that great still. The one I looked at I am left wondering why is it after all this time most companies still can't offer a trigger that is as good as glocks. give me a takeup and I don't care if its a tad heavy but a clean break really helps, glocks aren't perfect but they are better than all but the walther PPQ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A P3AT is no Glock......and I own a P3AT

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only .380 I ever owned was a little Belgian made Browning. Don't remember the model number or specifics, but I liked it, wish I had it back (traded it in on a Contender when they first came out). I carried the little Browning in a front pocket many times, but I'm not putting a Glock in a pocket unless the magazine has been removed!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
one other issue with pocket 380's is the ones I have seen are freaking unreliable to make matters even worse. none of them I have played with or owned can you simply pull the slide back and it digest a round like there is nothing to it. check out hickok's video on the body guard both those guns jammed constantly. another common problem is the slides lock back when they are not supposed to. for that reason I would get a model that does not have a slide lock back. my 380's are down the road though and I don't see myself owning another. I am sick of the issues that come with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I must be a lucky SOB. My P3AT has never bobbled and as far as accuracy, it's a helluva lot better than the Beretta Tomcat POS I had for several years. Accurate enough to regularly ring the 10" steel plates at my backyard range at 7 yards or so.

On the subject of single stack guns - ironically, I'm thinking of dumping my Stainless Kahr K40 in favor of the just slightly larger Springfield XDM 3.8 compact.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some friends and I played with a 42 a few weeks back, fired a LOT of different ammo through it; everything but Tula worked flawlessly. I'm not a fan, but that one worked great.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think you missed that guess by a mile, maybe two.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Maybe, maybe not. Around here, they are sitting on shelves. There was an initial rush, but after they were out a week or so, they simply aren't moving.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had one for a few months. I thought maybe Wifey would like it.
She shot about 3 rounds and said no thanks.

Now it functioned perfectly with every ammo I tried, both hollow points and flat points.

The size doesn't make sense, it is almost the same as my Sig 938.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They aren't lasting on shelves around here. Gun sales have slowed down quite a bit in these parts, though. I guess folks are spending their money on vacations or family trips. Christmas is just around the corner though, and even more importantly, the tax rebate season is right behind Christmas. That is when guns really fly off the shelves around here.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Maybe, maybe not. Around here, they are sitting on shelves. There was an initial rush, but after they were out a week or so, they simply aren't moving.

Not selling here or at gun shows, either. Too many real 9mm's out there that are easier to stash.

I think we will see a day when all 38o's and nearly all 9mm's will be pocket pistols. Mid sized and full sized guns being all 40's, 10's Super 38's, 45's etc.

I totally have the hots for a Sig Sauer 900 series mini 1911 style 9mm. Someday....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I dont see that day at all. Full size 9s are more popular now than ever. We issue 40s, but the guys (myself included) are swarming to full size 9mms, on their own dime.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
We can't keep them in stock where I work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As long as a full size 9mm holds more rounds, recoils less and costs less to shoot than a .40, 10mm, .45 or whatever else.....full size 9mms will still be popular.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The 10mm and 38 Super will never be more than niche rounds.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Personally, i don't see the need for a mini auto. In any caliber.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I felt the same way for decades, and carried model 36's and a Charter arms 44spcl for a long time. But my mini auto's hide out in a jeans pocket - front or back - far better than a 2 inch 38 or similar. And that is the 'problem' as I see it, for the Model 42 Glock. It is very phat and sharp and bulky for pocket carry, and if one is going to holster carry anyway, no reason not to go with a 9x19 etc.

Last edited by safariman; 08/27/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I felt the same way for decades, and carried model 36's and a Charter arms 44spcl for a long time. But my mini auto's hide out in a jeans pocket - front or back - far better than a 2 inch 38 or similar. And that is the 'problem' as I see it, for the Model 42 Glock. It is very phat and sharp and bulky for pocket carry, and if one is going to holster carry anyway, no reason not to go with a 9x19 etc.

Considering that the G42s aren't staying on shelves long at all in most locations, it looks as if most aren't seeing the 'problem' you see.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Time will tell. There will always be a group of Glockaholics that jump on anything different from Gaston's company. Whether the Model 42 challenges the LCP, P3AT, Kahr CW380 etc in sales is yet to be known.

I would actually LIKE to be wrong on this, as in my opinion the more guns that are being purchased and carried the better for the safety of our people and our nation as well as the gun industry.

The plethora of new manufactures of guns and ammunition is a good thing, too. SCCY, for example, seems to be getting their act together after a bit of a rough start. I am hearing good things about their latest stuff, and I am happy for that even though I will never likely own one.

Mo guns be mo betta! Long live the Glock 42 and ALL of the other new guns! grin

4ager, you now have two PM's from me waiting for an answer. Thanks in advance for the reply(s)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SCCY is complete crap.

You have a reply.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yeah, the sccy is a Kel Tec P-11 by any other name.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The P-11 is not very good, either.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm no real fan of the Kel Tec in most any form. Honestly, I think the best thing they make is the little P32. It fits nicely into the role of the 3rd or 4th gun.

I'd prefer it to the NAA 22 magnum for that application.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I'm no real fan of the Kel Tec in most any form. Honestly, I think the best thing they make is the little P32. It fits nicely into the role of the 3rd or 4th gun.

I'd prefer it to the NAA 22 magnum for that application.

Joel, IMO, that role is the best one for any of these micro pistols. Personally, and having a bit of knowledge about how much stress/ adrenaline/tunneling happens in a situation bade enough to require the drawing of a gun, I want a "comforting" gun, not one that may require an above average level of dexterity to operate, or even draw in a high stress situation. I want something that is substantial enough to offer me a big enough grip that I can get it into play without excessive fumbling in a high stress encounter. A J frame is as small as I go

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Understand your point completely.

And I agree.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

And I agree.

I should also expand to say that I also think these micro pistols require specific training in presentation tactics. IMO pocket carry has it's own unique obstacles that need unique training in tactics involved in it's use.

I have to wonder how many guys that choose to pocket carry have ever tried to get that gun and effectively draw it from the pocket with there heart rate pimping, and someone "in their face".

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There you go, John. Asking those police questions.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not intentionally. Personally, i think an average joe armed citizen is more likely to be a victim of a "hands on" initial attack than we are on average. It just seems wise to me to know what my chosen carry doctrine is going to be capable of before I need it, and if it isn't. It's time to find another way

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't entirely disagree that the average citizen is more likely to face a deadly force encounter than a uniformed police officer. I also know, unfortunately, that had I not been blessed with the opportunity to train with firearms due to my occupation, I would have still carried a firearm, but I would have been blissfully ignorant of so many things...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I mos worded my thought( it's happened alot today). What I meant was that i think as a uniformed cop, we are more apt to not be totally surprised when faced with a possible DF situation where as joe public may be quite oblivious as he listens to his IPod with his ear buds and niqqer lips a bottle of mountain dew while he walks down an alleyway

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That is a valid point as well.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Micro pistols just seem to be a bad fad to me. In a third our fourth gun capacity no problem with em, but i'd wanna train with getting them out in uncomfortable, contorted positions.

But for me they aren't a primary carry piece

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, if it is a fad, it got started back in the day of the vest pocket .25 autos. Prior to that, it was the stack barrel Remington deringers.

I don't think any of them were ever really intended to be primary guns, but folks get funny ideas about firearms.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, if it is a fad, it got started back in the day of the vest pocket .25 autos. Prior to that, it was the stack barrel Remington deringers.

I don't think any of them were ever really intended to be primary guns, but folks get funny ideas about firearms.

I know the practice has been around since Christ was a Cadet. And i think you're absolutely correct about the "secondary" role.

But it seems everuwhere I turn today i see people saying. "Just load it, and slip in your jeans pocket, you won't even know it's there".

Just seems like there is so much wrong with that statement

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yep. You won't even know it is there, and you won't even remember you had it till after you have already given your wallet and watch away to the nice man in the ski mask.

There is quite a bit wrong with the statement.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My thoughts, prcisely. Yet. Peole who buy them take that as gospel, cause the "gun guy told 'em that when they bought it"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A comment I can agree with..........mini-autos are only better than nothing at all.

As to the G42, it's about 1/2" shorter on length, about 3/16" thinner & about the same height as a G26/27 in 9mm/40, which I carry occasionally, IWB.

Not much difference in the size of the guns, but, IMO, a big difference in the potency of the rounds so I'll take the 9 or 40 any day & pay the very small size penalty.

The G26/27 & the G42 are all too heavy to be a pocket gun for my use, so if I want to pocket carry, then it's a J-frame 442 with 135 gr Gold Dots.

As far as concealment goes, even with just a T-shirt & a pair of shorts, in a good IWB, I can carry a 1911 LWT Commander sized pistol or a G19 every bit as effectively & as well concealed as the aforementioned G26/27, hence the comment that it is only carried occasionally..........why carry a smaller gun that not as easy to shoot & carries fewer rounds?

The G42 simply makes no real sense to me for reasons of both size & round potency.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love my Sig P938 9mm, but it is carried in a backup capacity only except for rare instances. If I have to fly someplace and I cannot take a full size, or I go to a gun unfriendly city where discretion is really important and I can�t be leaving extra guns in a hotel room, I take the Sig. It has great sights that make it 25 yard capable, and with a couple of reloads it gives me a pretty decent comfort level that puts me ahead of where a late 80�s/early 90�s cop was with a .38 Special revolver and two speedloaders. It does take practice to get used to the manual of arms carried in a pocket. It is not as smooth as the J frame on the draw, but has too many other advantages to make that the deciding factor. I like getting ready for a fight with a firing grip on the gun and my thumb on the safety when nobody knows I have it!

Getting back to the topic, I would have figured the Glock 42 as a flop because it is too big for what you get in terms of power and capacity. Also, I would not want to be drawing the Glock out of a pocket in a panic situation given the ease of firing compared to the Sig with the manual safety or a �DAO type� gun such as the Kahr CM9 or the Kel-Tec. But, I gave up predicting what would be a flop in the marketplace. I figured the Taurus Judge for a flop, but now we have the Raging Judge and the Who Da Judge and the How Da Judge, and S&W went with the executive branch and the Governor. S&W also has the atrocious lock on revolvers and a bunch of companies have magazine disconnect safeties on guns, but people buy them. I also don�t get cowboy guns except for hunting, but they seem to be doing well.

P.S. I had Kel-Tec P11 that never malfunctioned. It did, however, rust whenever I carried it on my ankle when there was snow, slush or rainwater on the ground.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

And I agree.

I have to wonder how many guys that choose to pocket carry have ever tried to get that gun and effectively draw it from the pocket with there heart rate pimping, and someone "in their face".

Hmmm... I do not recall ever having my heart "pimping" wink grin

You are probably correct in the case of most folks, but for what it is worth (not much) I do practice my firearms draw and present to fire motions every day at least a little. When I am carrying my P3AT, which is rarely, and I am in an even slightly uncomfortable neighborhood or situation, I have my right hand in my right front pocket, and I already have a shooting grasp on the grip of the gun as I walk along, acting unconcerned but being situationally aware. You are 1000% correct that the little boogers can be hard to draw quickly without practice. I can have either my 1911 or my 380 ready to fire in well under one second from rest.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

And I agree.

You are probably correct in the case of most folks, but for what it is worth (not much) I do practice my firearms draw and present to fire motions every day at least a little. When I am carrying my P3AT, which is rarely, and I am in an even slightly uncomfortable neighborhood or situation, I have my right hand in my right front pocket, and I already have a shooting grasp on the grip of the gun as I walk along, acting unconcerned but being situationally aware. You are 1000% correct that the little boogers can be hard to draw quickly without practice. I can have either my 1911 or my 380 ready to fire in well under one second from rest.

Ever tried getting that gun out of your pocket under stress, or being on the ground fighting. Or practice other than "range" conditions.

With your above approach, you're going to do one thing well..that's shoot yourself i. The leg.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All you can do when carrying any size weapon is hope your opponent is a little bit slower than you.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

And I agree.

Ever tried getting that gun out of your pocket under stress, or being on the ground fighting. Or practice other than "range" conditions.

With your above approach, you're going to do one thing well..that's shoot yourself i. The leg.

During my draw and present drills, my finger remains alongside the triggerguard until the gun is well outside of my body area and facing whatever imaginary opponent I may be facing.

I did have to draw and fire my weapon once at a snarling, fast approaching Charpei/Pit bull cross dog at about 6 feet distance when I fired. I made a perfect center shot right where the neck meets the chest. Even the reporting officer made a comment on what a nice shot I had made and the obvious effectiveness of my 357 Magnum 125gr HP loading. The reporting etc. was but a formality as the shoot was so clearly and obviously a good one, well justified.

I don't know this for sure, but having spent quite a few years having to make quick kill shots on very close Elephant, Cape Buffalo and other dangerous game should, I would hope, be of some help in my keeping my wits about me in a different yet equally dangerous setting. I hope to never find out! I have also done a little bit of comeptitive handgun shooting in games that require speed with accuracy, thus at least somewhat simulating a threat scenario. These are, of course, not nearly as intense as a fight or to the death showdown with the worlds most dangerous creature, but there is only so much one can do in training and preparation. You made your comment about me in ignorance, not knowing at all what I have done to prepare or prep. I have done what is available to me to do so far. A trip to one of the top shooting schools is in mine and Sherri's near future when I am (hopefully soon) physically able to endure such a weekend.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I made my post based on observations of things that you have posted. And I stand by it. I can make part of that judgement based on your bear hunt story. Add in all of the stories regarding your health issues it's fairly easy to begin to form a baseline. Furthermore, there is a world of difference between facing down an animal, which you are already reasonably prepared for and the charge is somewhat expected, and reacting to a blindside fist out of the blue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can have either my 1911 or my 380 ready to fire in well under one second from rest.

I didn't think you can Mark. I don't think you're intentionally lying, but I don't think you're being realistic about your ability.

And it's not just you. Getting your 1911 from concealment to an accurate shot in "well under a second" is pretty dang fast. Doing the same with a Kel-Tec in your pocket is super human. I'm not sure that any man walking could do that in "well under a second".

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Is a 3rd or 4th gun really a consideration? Is anyone carrying 3 guns at a time? I don't cc, but even when hunting and such, I've only ever had a max of 2 guns with me. I want to understand the philosophy of such an idea, or even the practicality.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
On duty? Yes it can be practical. I've heard of NYC cops who used to carry 3 -4 revolvers

I believe the philosophy is 2 guns is one, and one gun is none.

I have three on me quite often. My service pistol, my BUG, and my M-4

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yeah, for the most part, if I were carrying three handguns on my person, it was a full sized sidearm, (Smith 1076 or Glock 35) and then the Glock 27 in an ankle holster. Then I usually had one of the NAA revolvers in my left hand pants pocket.

I figured the NAA about as good as a sharp knife in a worst case/last ditch scenario.

Very few folks ever knew I had it, as it was verboten to carry any unauthorized weapons on duty. I made sure to purchase mine where I had to fill out a 4473 on it, so I couldn't be accused of carrying a drop gun.

When the P-32 came out, I was just getting to the end of my road time, but I did replace my NAA with one of them for the last few months of my time on the road.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I got one, had a ruger had a Kahr I like it and can put 7 bullets into a pie plate at 10 feet in less than 2 seconds. And yes I will buy the 9 when it comes out! Short trigger resets are cool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a chance to shoot the G42 last night. I went to the range with my wife and her friend (who is shopping for carry gun).

It felt nice in my hands and recoil was what you'd expect from a .380 or even slightly less. Accuracy was fine. In fact, the ladies shot it as well or better than anything else.

It did fail to function function a couple times. I can't recall one when I was shooting, but my wife's friend got several. She might have been limp-wristing, though.

The glaring issue (for me) was it's size. I kept thinking what a nice 9mm it'd make. Much like Safariman posted back at the start of this thread, the gun is pretty big for a BUG. Stacked on top of each other, there is no real difference between the G42 and a Kahr PM9.

I don't see the gun having any place with men who want a pocket gun. Again, my Kahr slips into a Galco pocket protector and takes up no more space than a G42. I think the PM9 is on the verge of being too heavy to fill the role of a pocket pistol. Since the G42 frame has absolutely no size advantage, there's no real point to it--especially when you have to go down to the .380 cartridge.

However, I stand by my original prediction that Glock will sell a ton of them. Glockaholics will gobble them up, and gun store salesmen will push them on women.

Wade

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
So many of you are looking at this the wrong way. The gun is mainly meant for women and people who can't handle recoil. Quit comparing it the LCP and PM9 and compare it to the Walther PPK/s or PK380, the Sig 232 or the Bersa Thunder. They are the market that's being taken over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flop or not is of no concern to me. I won't be buying one and don't care what others do.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For those interested, CDNN has the G42 for 4 Benjamins in the holiday sale flier.

No idea if that's a good price or not.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

This is an issue even with J frame 38 Special with +p loads. I'm glad my 442 weighs 15 ounces instead of 11.4 ounces. I won't be practicing with +P loads or even 148 DEWC that much. If it weren't for being a "pocket gun" a larger set of grips would be on it now.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Travis

MM

Oh I know. From the 3yd line they're incredible.

Travis

I recently shot a Beretta Nano 9mm. It wasn't a 3 yard gun but the amount of work to actuate the heavy trigger and the dinky sight make me think night shooting in self-defense would be a treacherous thing. Someone who was watching could have told which 12"x12" target I was shooting, but not where on the target. Far from shooting out the pips on playing cards, I would have been hard pressed to hit the card at 7 yards.

Last edited by Carson; 09/12/14.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My lone 380, loaded with +P+ Buffalo bore ammo, is a 'contact range' type of firearm to me. Or, to say it another way, if we are not touching in battle already, the 380 is going to be hard to make a connecting shot with. I sort of think of it as a light, hi tech, on impact nail gun kinda thing. This is why it sits a lot more than it goes along.

I am not unreasonably paranoid enough to carry more than one gun at a time in my daily life. With my two primary pieces being a 10mm and a 44, I am in WAY too much trouble, and have likely already made one or more poor decisions if I cannot extricate myself with one of those two sidearms.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
With my two primary pieces being a 10mm and a 44
Somebody's compensating...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
9mm on the way...2015...the 42 was an Austrian joke on the US
.the 42/380 is very ammo sensitive....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by rifle
the 42/380 is very ammo sensitive....
The ones in our rental program run great on anything,

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've put over 300 rounds thru mine and it hasn't had the first ftf or fte. I'm quite happy with it other than a somewhat stiff trigger pull. It's an accurate little pistol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the 42/380 is very ammo sensitive....
The ones in our rental program run great on anything,

Our rental has broke it's guide rod and lost its trigger reset at under 5000 rounds...??

Last edited by rifle; 09/14/14.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gristle
I've put over 300 rounds thru mine and it hasn't had the first ftf or fte. I'm quite happy with it other than a somewhat stiff trigger pull. It's an accurate little pistol.

That is all well and good, but you could have had any number of full powered 9x19's in the same sized package, or even smaller. Even some very accurate and reliable pistols in the 9x19 caliber and same size/weight range.

I still don't see a real market niche being filled here, and see quite the oposite.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

That is all well and good, but you could have had any number of full powered 9x19's in the same sized package, or even smaller. Even some very accurate and reliable pistols in the 9x19 caliber and same size/weight range.

I still don't see a real market niche being filled here, and see quite the oposite.
Maybe that's what he wanted. Not everyone is as manly as you. It's meant for people who would otherwise get a P232, PK380, PPK/s or Bersa Thunder. You'd make a lousy gun salesman, since you think that everyone thinks like you. You have to listen to the customer and sell them what fits their needs.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Maybe that's what he wanted. Not everyone is as manly as you. It's meant for people who would otherwise get a P232, PK380, PPK/s or Bersa Thunder. You'd make a lousy gun salesman, since you think that everyone thinks like you. You have to listen to the customer and sell them what fits their needs.

You might be surprised at how many guns I have sold. Some of which I did not personally like. Worked at gun counters more than once, and many, many gun show tables. Oft times the gun show tables were for fully licensed pawn shops that had an over abundance of firearms at one time or another. You are dead wrong again, but this is not surprising.

Having spent my whole proffesional life in sales, sometimes I know we have to help a customer understand some pro's and con's about a product, too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
9mm on the way...2015...the 42 was an Austrian joke on the US
.the 42/380 is very ammo sensitive....

Heard that too. I'll buy the first 9mm Glock that I can get my hands on if it's the same exact size as the little Model 42.

I've also heard that Glock was holding back on the release of the new little 9mm version, amid fears that it will kill their sales of the Glock 42. Like others here have mentioned, the Glockaholics will buy ANY new handgun Glock releases, regardless.

I've always kinda had a love / hate relationship with my Glocks, but I do own several.
First, they are ugly as sin and I just absolutely hate the look of any Polymer gun!
And they feel like a 2x4 riding in a high riding belt holster.
But I will agree they are one of the most reliable handguns on the market. Period! And I've never had any of my Glocks fail to feed or fire. Mine are also all very accurate handguns.
On the plus side, I'm also able to shoot all my Glocks really well, but they always point high for me.

But I LOVE 1911's and that's what I think of as the Ultimate carry package for Concealed Carry, and they point and shoot for me like an extension of my finger.

That being said, if I could only carry one handgun for defense of 2 legged and 4 legged creatures, for the rest of my life, it would without a doubt be my Glock 20 in 10mm.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
[Having spent my whole proffesional life in sales.
Yeah, everyone knows you sold insurance. Probably whole or universal life policies that did nothing for the buyer but made you a tidy commission. I'm sure that you even said that they were an "investment". You probably never mentioned the lower commission term policies, which would have been better for them (but not you). I bet that many were sold to your fellow churchgoers, where you'd remind them that you were a "good Christian" and wouldn't steer them wrong. You're a joke!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Having spent my whole proffesional life in sales.
Yeah, everyone knows you sold insurance. Probably whole or universal life policies that did nothing for the buyer but made you a tidy commission. I'm sure that you even said that they were an "investment". You probably never mentioned the lower commission term policies, which would have been better for them (but not you). I bet that many were sold to your fellow churchgoers, where you'd remind them that you were a "good Christian" and wouldn't steer them wrong. You're a joke!

Wow, you were way wrong again! I am shocked, I tell ya, just shocked! shocked grinActually, very little typical or standard life insurance products. Sold advanced financial products to affluent folks who were doing estate planning and protection plans. And, FWIW, I did not market to family or my church folks. Folks had to contact me such as via a referral etc.

So, you are way wrong, AGAIN! Surprise, surprise..... Better let the big hole you are digging alone for a while. And maybe keep the thread to the topic at hand of the usefulness and market of this particular pistol.

I don't mind at all when a person has a different viewpoint or opinion about something, especially a firearm. The free and open market will decide the fate of this one. I stated my opinion and have elaborated upon that.

To bring childish personal attacks into this thread and try to hijack it was Jr high level or less tactic's and immaturity.

Do you have something to add here that is based upon the facts of what the gun is, does, and where it fits into the market of pistols for sale? Maybe what it does better than something else in its class? If so, we would all welcome that including me. Stupid attempts to turn the conversation into a personal vendetta - and for what good reason I do not know - serves no good purpose in this or any other thread about a firearm or other gun and hunting related topic. Save them for some other venue. The personal attacks are not serving you well, and are a real PITA sideshow to what was being discussed by reasonable, knowledgeable adults with some background and knowledge on the subject at hand.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I finally saw one of these 42's over the weekend. Not much impression good or bad. But as to the 380, I kind of have a fondness for some of the stuff in goes in. As in the cz82 9mmmak, the cz83 380, the walthers, the early savage, some of them arejust neat little pistols.
I was messing with a cz83 the other day, as i remember you can stuff 13rounds in there using a mak magazine, and it really isn't all that big a pistol.
They will find a market for sure.

I always thought it kind of worthy of comment that europeans have used .380's to shoot people for years. I guess the average european is much smaller than the average american. Then you can get on the .32acp bandwagon.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/16/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A little over 250 flawless rounds through it so far and some new peepers.....I like it! And the OP is still a [bleep] idiot!

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I got one as a Christmas gift this year. So far, I have about 250 rounds through it with no bobbles. I am thinking about replacing the sights with a set of Ashley Express, however. It not being a target pistol and all.

I'm thinking the GAP series guns were flops for Glock. These little pocket guns will prove to be far from that.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It ain't going to flop. Geez, it's a Glock directed at a booming market. If it is as dependable as the 17 and 22, et al, it'll be in backorder for a while. I've not fired one but just from handling one and dry firing it seems to be a class above wife's LCP. Better trigger, better grip, just better ergonomics overall IMHO. Slightly larger but personally I'd take it in a heartbeat over the LCP if function is there. BTW I'm in the minority category of those that would like to see a user-friendly manual safety option for the pistols that will see purse carry. edit: Directed at OP not you, CT.

Last edited by shootem; 01/22/15.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's such a "flop" that the major gun shops in this area can't keep them in stock.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't wait for these guys to come out with a 25ACP.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, I'd say the market's being penetrated like a TTSX thru a watermelon.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife loves her's. It ticks all the boxes for her, small, light, and its a Glock.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think you missed seeing the LEO market. My agency only approves Glocks and this is the first and only pistol approved under 9mm since the revolver disappeared decades ago. LEO price is ~$325 walking out the door and our local shop can't satisfy the demand. They got 225 of them in a month or so back that lasted less then a week. I have a pile of buddies still on the waiting list. They ran a test model with well over 500 rounds before approving it and folks only had positive things to say.

I'm holding out, I believe we'll see the single stack nine sooner rather then later.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Yep, the 42 is our most popular Blue Label model.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
463 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.