-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm considering the purchase of another pump gun for turkey and this one has caught my attention.

What can you tell me about this shotgun? Where is the country of manufacture, is the forearm clubby and wide? Any information you could provide would be helpful.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I like the SXP's feel. It is a Turkish gun made to Winchester's specs. The alloy receiver makes the gun pretty light. I especially like the ease of cycling. When fired, the action pretty much cycles back by itself. All the shooter has to do is push the forearm back into battery. The standard model has a 3 inch chamber and sells for $300 at the local Academy Sports.

If I were looking for a utility shotgun, this would be high on the list. The SXP is about as fast as an Ithaca 37 to cycle. I am a lefty and shoot a couple of Ithaca 37s. Since Ithacas are so hard to find now, I would probably buy an SXP and change the safety to left hand. My brother had the earlier winchester 1300 turkey gun and had good results with it.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This shotgun is nothing close to the Remington 870 Wingmaster nor the Ithaca Model 37. I'd look for one of these way before even considering the SXP; look close at the SXP then either of these others and the differences will sing out to you.

Or find a nice used Model 12 Winchester...these are sleepers on the market now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
StudDuck, the SXP looks to be the latest incarnation of the older Winchester 1200/1300/Speed Pump moved offshore. I've owned and hunted with three 1300's over the last 30 years (have one left) and they are okay guns. I would buy a new USA made Mossberg 500 or 535 before I bought a new Turkish made Winchester pump. I think parts and accessories would be the Achilles heel of the new Winchester (never were robust offerings with the 1300). If buying used, then the sky is the limit - the three models GF1 recommended are all time-proven models. I love the M12, my favorite pump, but a 12 gauge M12 is heavy to lug all day - now a 16 gauge - whole 'nother story!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like the feel and action of the 1300 , very similar to the SXP and it will probably serve you well. However as stated above the wingmaster (had one yrs ago) or ithaca 37 (got 2) seem much better made and if it were my main shotgun I'd pick one of these. The 870 express is about the same as the SXP. So if you go with the rem get the wingmaster. If the SXP speaks to you though, I would not talk you out of it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate all the replies, especially the comparing the SXP to the Wingmaster and Ithaca. While I don't have any experience with the Ithaca, I have hunted with a Wingmaster since the age of 10; I still hunt with a Wingmaster and an 11-87.

I was disappointed that this shotgun is made in Turkey....I would purchase a used American made shotgun before buying a new foreign made SG, but that's another story.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My other favorite pump as a pure turkey gun would be the Browning BPS. They make some nice short barrel camo turkey models. But they are heavy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.