Print Thread
Hop To
#8434043 01/05/14
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Going in March with my wife and some freinds. We will be staying on the west side of Maui. I would like to go for 1/2 to 1 full day trip for Mahi and or Tuna. Probably 2 or 3 of us will go. I found some charters online that go out of Lahaina.

Would love to hear recomendations from someone who has "been there, done that"

Thanks in advance

Bob

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend that lives in Lahaina and I asked her the same question before my wife and I went last year. She recommended, from personal experience, Start Me Up Sportfishing Charters. She did follow up by saying if you want to fish you would be better off going to Kona. We ended up not going as we had lots of other stuff we wanted to do. Either way its a fun place to be.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hey Ptarmigan-

I'll be in Kona in a couple weeks. Do you have any recommendations for there? I also wouldn't mind doing some fishing on my own. From piers or spearfishing. I've been lazy about researching it, but should get on it.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks Ptarmigan,

I figure we will do some snorkeling and hiking, we should still have time for a fishing trip. I quit golfing about 3 years ago so that frees up a lot of time. What other activities would you recommend?

Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JFKinYK
Hey Ptarmigan-

I'll be in Kona in a couple weeks. Do you have any recommendations for there? I also wouldn't mind doing some fishing on my own. From piers or spearfishing. I've been lazy about researching it, but should get on it.

I have not been to Kona, but a guide friend of mine up here spends a bunch of time on the Big Island and has several charter boat friends he goes out with. I can ask him for some recommendations. I have looked at a bunch of Hawaii fishing forums about shore fishing, when I go back I plan to do some. Longer rod and swimbaits, poppers, and chunk bait from the rocks sounds fun to me. Would love to catch a ulua from shore!

Originally Posted by rschmelzle
Thanks Ptarmigan,

I figure we will do some snorkeling and hiking, we should still have time for a fishing trip. I quit golfing about 3 years ago so that frees up a lot of time. What other activities would you recommend?

Bob

I have done the Hana trip. It was a looong ride but was nice to see some of the "other" side of the island. The sunset cruise was really nice, should still be plenty of Humpback whales around. If you have never been, a luau should be on your itinerary as well. Touristy I know, but we enjoyed the Old Lahaina Luau. Just make sure you set up a ride for the way home, they won't let your glass go dry! Good food too.

You should also check out the bamboo forests, pretty neat stuff. When I go back though, I want to spend more time in the water snorkeling. Honolua bay is a great place to start, especially for folks that are new to snorkeling. Not much current, lots of fish. Rent your snorkel gear if you don't have any, its cheap.

If you want a good lunch, Cool Cat Cafe in Lahaina (across the street from the banyan tree) is really good. Great burgers and "catch of the day" fish sandwiches, along with a good brew selection. Have fun, I can't wait to go back.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
ive been to hawaii twice but not since the late 80s.
first time did the tourist thing with several days island hopping. second time just a week in maui and a week in kona
on the big island. kona is my kind of place. went marlin fishing alone as i wanted the action if any happened. i got a
striped marlin and got a few jumps out of a small blue. its an awsome place to fish. very calm water due to the location and
fishing starts basicly from time you leave the dock. split
charters are always a possibility. im sure capt. jeff who post
his reports here could set you straight.

F
F
Try the Fishing vessel. "Finest Kind"
Awesome owner captain great trips and if the fish are around he will just about always come in with them.
I think you can google his website up.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I can vouch for Start Me Up. They ran a great boat and we caught fish. I believe they run a boat out of Lahaina and also out of Kona.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for the info

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rschmelzle
Thanks Ptarmigan,

Bob

We spent a week and half on Maui for Christmas. Asside from just enjoying the beaches we did the following:

Snorkle trip to Molokini Crater and Turtle town with the Pacifice Whale Foundation, well worth the expense if you've never been out to Molokini.

Sunrise from Haleakala and mountain bike decent. When they say it's cold at the summit, they aren't kidding. We left someplace dark and cold for vacation, getting up at 2:30 am to go someplace dark and cold just isn't as fun in real time as the sales pitch. The bike decent is ok. We can say we've done it, but won't do it again.

Ziplining at Piiholo Ranch. Pretty fun, really expensive esepcially if you want to do the final 1/2 mile line.

Drums of the Pacific Luau at the Hyat in Kaanapoli. First luau I've ever been to. Good food and a good show. Worth the extra for the VIP seating.

Maui winery tour, believe it or not something on Maui that is free. The tour guide is great and it was interesting to learn some of Maui's history and see upcountry. We ended up coming home with a case of wine, so not exactly free.

If you have a rental car, head down to Big Beach. It's a great beach and it was nice to see a section of Maui that doesn't have a hotel every inch of beach front.

[Linked Image]

If you want to drive North of Kaanapoli, Honolua is a neat spot and the driving isn't as bad as they'd have you think. There was a pretty good storm surge so we enjoyed washing the surfers on 6-10' waves.

Best thing to do on Maui, just enjoy being there.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for all the Maui tips. We had a great trip, and my friend Heidi got the only fish on our 6 hour "shared boat" charter.

[Linked Image]

Weather and water conditions were great. Scott and I snorkeled every morning, we hit every beach and cove within 5 miles of Kapalua.

[Linked Image]

No beach but great snorkeling.

[Linked Image]

We stayed at a condo at the Kapalua Golf Villages. Justine and I on the patio, sipping a frozen margarita.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
We were in maui abut a month ago, not much snorkeling but seen lots of whales, one came up beside the bout while we were just drifting and sprayed us.
Lot of turtles to, they are a lot bigger than I thought.
A guy was telling me the turtle climb out of the water at night to get away from sharks????

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (1eyedmule, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.