Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does it give off an odor like an old ram? whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
So, how would the merino compare to polypropylene, or thermax?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
I've tried some of the first polypropylene stuff that came out and while it did keep me warm, it began to smell increasingly worse and nothing I washed it with made it smell better.

Eventually I figured if I could smell myself coming, it was less than optimal for hunting garments.... blush

I've tried some of the Walmart knock off of Under Armor stuff and it works great for me as long as I don't sweat - then I freeze in it. Unfortunately I sweat like an overweight horse with it's winter coat in hot October weather. frown

For me, wool and pure wool at that, represents the best compromise for keeping me moderately warm after I sweat.

I can't really say that Merino is any better than other wool - I suspect it might be like Angus beef in that it's a good marketing strategy, but anyway this Canadian made Merino stuff from Costco does work for me so far.

All the best to you and yours this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Does it give off an odor like an old ram? whistle

No..... but I do....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pat,
This is good stuff. Warm, very well finished and light weight
Made in Cambodia so we only pay $19.99 for it. Same made here with union wages, double or triple. Works for me.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They're made in Canada wink

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any idea just where in Canada?

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Looks like it's produced in Burnaby.

http://www.coapparel.ca/index.php

Warren

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The advantage of Merino wool is that it has very fine fibres.

The Merino sheep is an Australian invention to deliver the most wool, of the finest fibre available. I remember seeing a documentary on TV, the top grade wool producers keep their sheep inside, with coats on, to ensure the fleece remains ultrafine and without blemishes (like seeds). The price they were getting for the wool was outrageous, most being sold into Italy for top grade womens clothing.

The Merino wool shirts will be cool to wear in summer too - my Merino wool suits are light and drape well, warm in winter and surprisingly cool in summer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Adamjp;
Thanks to you and fuzzyone for the information on the wool and where the garments are made.

I'm wearing one of the made in Canada True North shirts as I type and I can't say enough about how comfortable they are in this weather. So far I've managed to get 3 of them and I couldn't be more satisfied.

Oh, I should note that the hang tag says it's made from Australian Merino wool. I'm not sure we have much of a wool industry here in Canada really?

Thanks again to both of you for the links and information and all the best to you both in 2014.

Regards,
Dwayne

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
One of you gentlemen should post a picture of these fabled undershirts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
The things I don't get myself talked into for the sake of the 'Fire, eh? wink

As I'm off work today anyway and the "magic wood box" has now magically filled itself already today....

As per your request sir.

An example of the True North shirt.
[Linked Image]

Proof of origin.
[Linked Image]

The colors I've got - there are more I'm told.
[Linked Image]

All the best in 2014 to you and your fine family wabigoon.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That looks to be a fair weight Dwayne.
I suppose a picture of the fabled "Magic wood box", would be totally out of the question?
I've never seen a magic wood box.
How do they work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Of course sir the magic wood box is as much myth as the magic dishes that wash themselves after a meal.

It was only an offhanded comment I made to my wife this morning over coffee before she headed into work.

I mentioned that I'd fill the magic wood box today and she said she appreciated that it magically stayed full over the winter.

This isn't meant as a complaint towards anyone though wabigoon, more of an inside family joke as to the division of tasks and labor at our place is all.

For instance I don't mind cooking and do so 4 days a week, but don't really prefer to do laundry, so my clothes get magically washed when I stick them into a laundry basket in the same way the magic wood box worked - or so I imagine anyway. wink

In the category of "never too old to learn" though, the eldest and I cut a load of spruce firewood this year to see if it works better for starting the fires - larch can be testy to get going sometimes.

The magic wood box is full of split spruce kindling sticks 1�"x1�"x12" or so and my goodness do they get a nice bed of coals going quickly and with much less fuss than larch or Doug fir.

There will definitely be a load of spruce cut for kindling/magic wood box purposes again this summer wabigoon.

Who'd a thunk it'd work so well? grin

Have a good last day of 2013 wabigoon.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you for the explanation Dwayne.
Don't forget I'm only a cheechako. These things are new to me.

Your comment about laundry, reminds me of the notion that the miners in the gold rush of 1849 thought washing clothes was women's work. They hated doing laundry worse than anything else.
The Chinese would do most any honest work, and were as happy to earn the money, as the miners were to avoid the task.
Hence, the stereotype Chinese laundry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The $19.95 costco item sold under the paradox brand in the Edmonton store, is made in Cambodia.
I did not see the True North brand. Well I better make another trip out there.

Last edited by shrike; 12/31/13.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I found the True North brand at the local Costco today. It was on one of the tables, not boxed up with the t-shirts, etc.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Seeing as this thread seems to loud the use of Merino, I was bought, as a stocking filler, some Merino wool socks from "Zehrs" they as I remember were tagged as work socks and were 60% Merino wool, for the princely sum of $6 a pair. I also managed to snag 2 more true north shirts!!

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
UKdave;
Belated Happy New Year to you sir, hopefully this finds you and yours well.

I've really liked the Kirkland brand Merino socks from Costco - I live in steel toed boots at work.

We got some for our eldest daughter for stocking stuffers as her work requires steel toed boots as well and so far she's really liking them too.

Anyway, hopefully that's useful information for you or someone out there seeking warmer feet this January morning.

All the best to you and yours in 2014 sir.

Regards,
Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one and tried it on. The neck opening is quite large. I have been using some zip-Ts from MEC. They work great and what I am used to. If these had come out 10 years ago, I'd probably be all over them. Now I am set in my ways.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,146
Posts18,464,986
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.