Hop To
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

The pic above is courtesy of Utah708,

Who is familiar with this stock? I have a few questions,

The Heel and comb, too much drop for a scope? 2.5x8 with lows.

Wrist area, slim medium or thick? Any palm swell at all?

No checkering available, Was that an issue?

Any other comments feel free.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
BT/DT.

Sako Hunter is far and away the best Winny pitch.

Hint.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Talk to me Boxer, details...

I have the Sako Hunter, and love it,

but variety can be good too ya know...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I picked one up off the specials page once a upon at time, thinking I was getting a really good deal.

Lots of drop, seemed to kick worse than it should have. Might work ok with open sights, but not so great with a scope.

I didn't much care for it. Better options out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one, inletted for a Winchester/USRA 70 WSSM, have never liked it and have ordered the new Winchester Hunter to replace it.

Jeff

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Top handle in the pic,from when I was really into B&W Photography.

[Linked Image]

Winchester is reliably schitty at stock patterning,which is suplizing...given the amount of time they've had to practice.(grin) None of their OEM handles have ever been worth a schit.

Sako on the other hand(and I'm talking REAL Sako here),often got lotsa things right. Anywhoo,the Winny Classic's slicktitude was/is an initial turn off,though texturing is always an option. It's dimensioning is better than most Winny offerings,but what isn't?!? There are worse patterns,but it's easily surpassed ala McMillan offerings and the Sako Hunter is THE Belle of the Ball,as per Winny inlets.

Never had the Winny Classic in a Boomer(300Whizzum shown),though I've had the SH in things that barked and were unbraked(obviously,due my disdain).

The SH is a Good 'Un.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Boxer

Winchester is reliably schitty at stock patterning,which is suplizing...given the amount of time they've had to practice.(grin) None of their OEM handles have ever been worth a schit.

The FWT stocks fit like a glove, mount and point like shotguns for me. I have owned quite a few rifles and think the Model 70 Featherweight stock is excellent.

The current FN/Winchester Safari Express stocks also fit great and seem to soak up recoil pretty well, with decent heft and a nice broad butt. The bigger the cushion, the better the pushin'.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 01/06/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Boxer

True. Agreed. wink

Winchester stocks generally suck.Which is surprising given the number of really good custom stocks that have been made for them. You would think SOMEONE from Winchester would be paying attention... cry

And McMillan has fallen face down by doing nothing more than pretty much copying Winchester designs in their M70 lineup. IMHO they still have yet to make a "perfect" stock for the FW and standard calibers (No I don't like the FW pattern;it could be higher with less drop at heel and they should ditch that perfectly ridiculous shnable forend.

The G&H pattern was sort of getting there, but the grip was too tight.

For standard weight rifles and magnums they should cut a deal with someone like Echols or Simillion to design one for them...and for the FW as well for that matter.

Back in the 80's I sent Gale McMillan a pre 64 M70/Krieger barreled action chambered for 300 Win Mag and he installed their Sako Finnlight stock on it; a friend followed suit with another 300 and a 338 Win Mag. We hunted those rifle relentlessly and I killed a lot of game with mine.The stock had a bit of "cast-off", ut a cheekpiece for weld;and it directed heavyy recoil away from the face and head,as your face slid against the cheekpiece, instead of getting whacked.It also handled pretty fast and was slender and easy to carry.I snap shot one bull elk with mine.....interesting design that worked pretty well.

The stock shown by the OP is an abortion...far too much drop at heel and the grip looks too tight from here...with a heavy kicking rifle the shooter will likely be wearing the trigger guard in his hand but maybe not.I can't tell much about the fore end but if it's squared and not oval, it likely sucks, too.

The sloping comb will cause the shooter to crawl the stock to get a cheek weld and scope/eye alignment, and with a heavy kicker he will end up with his thumb on his nose(or a scope in his face)...unless he lays his thumb in the side of the grip which is a silly way to shoot a BG rifle and maintain control of anything that recoils much.

The grip should be more open,but have sufficient downturn to give the hand a natural place to stop, yet still reach the trigger....grips that are TOO open cause the hand to swim around too much searching for a place to "stop"....they make fast rifle handling impossible.

Somebody at Winchester and McMillan should be paying more attention to Kimber stocks in their M70 line up....those guys are getting it "right".

As things currently stand from McMillan, for any magnum chambering I'd order an Echols Legend.JMHO.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/06/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

,but have sufficient downturn to give the hand a natural place to stop, yet still reach the trigger....grips that are TOO open cause the hand to swim around too much searching for a place to "stop"....they make fast rifle handling impossible.

This is "my" issue with the featherweight, too much horizontal in the grip, which is why the more vertical Classic grip I posted up top looked so appealing,

Recoil is a factor, .300wizzum with a 7.75 lb rifle, But damn fun and accurate to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So, I'm ready to order my first Mickey for a 35 Whelen build on a M70 classic action. Can't decide betwixt the Win New Hunter and the aforementioned Sako Hunter. Looking at the two, there seems to be little difference.

[Linked Image]

Looking for the most drop to the top of the buttstock for shooting comfort. Don't think Stick would steer me wrong on this one. Anyone fondled the Win New Hunter or otherwise have an opinion?

IC B3

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Muskeg, here is my Sako Hunter, I don't have any actual experience with the Win Hunter, but have heard they are very similiar. If your a righty you have choices, if your a lefty, Good Luck.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm not wrong handed. smirk

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Winchester Classic looks nice, but that's it. Avoid.

The Sako Hunter is the best you're going to get currently from Mickey.

Brown Precision for a lightweight Winny is the way to go.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.