Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I picked up that 7x57AI this morning. It appears to be well put together, the onky name i can find is on the bArrel and that is C. hottenstein. A google search turns up a Carl Hottenstein, gunsmith, Richland Pa. Has anyone wver heard of this maker?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Only Hottenstein that I know is Lowell and his son. They are very good BR shooters and bullet makers from Michigan.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I knew Carl, he was one of the best gun smiths in PA, my dad had quite a few 98 mausers sporterized by him, Dad always swore by Carls work.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Apparition
I knew Carl, he was one of the best gun smiths in PA, my dad had quite a few 98 mausers sporterized by him, Dad always swore by Carls work.

I talked to his son maybe tonight? I'm assuming Carl is passed on. And from what I have researched He was something of a name in the BR community, Anyway here are some photos

][Linked Image]

][Linked Image]

][Linked Image]

][Linked Image]

][Linked Image]

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yes, Carl has been gone for some time now, I think over 20 years. He must have turned the bolts all the same way, Ill have to post some of my Dads 98, looks exactly the same.

Wow!!! thats a work of art!!! Very very nice. Im betting it shoots like a dream.

Last edited by Apparition; 01/07/14.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I am in process of assembling dies and what not

The funny part is. i knew the original owner of this rifle, and had hunted his farm a few times. He passed from cancer a few years back and his step kid traded this rifle in on a Ruger American. So after calling a buddy who was very good friends with the previous owner, i told him about the rifle and he said he was familiar with it and it was a one hole shooter all day long. Needless to say i'm a happy camper and hopefully can get things around for it.

I do believe a 4x or 6x Leupold and a Canvas sling from Trader Keith's would look perfect with this rifle

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Let me know how it shoots. I must admit you touched a few heart strings with your post, been a long long time since I thought of Carl, can still remember him in his bib overalls (he was a large man) brings a big smile to my face.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice rifle in a great caliber!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Glad to hear that the rifle has a home with someone who appreciates it like it deserves.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks Joel. I took it to my 'smith today Nd we soent an hour or so going through it. It appears that the stock was inletted slightly larger than need be for the action. And glass bedded the full length. That seems to flow with the builder being heavy into bench rest builds back in the day.

The sling swivels are very neat, i've never seen them before. You push in on the center bolt and they detach leaving an inletted "cup" in the Stock. The barrel has been lapped and according to my smith there is zero throat erosion. This little rifle keeps intriguing me

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a very nice rifle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
terrific rifle, sounds like it will have an appreciative owner smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks guys. T&C yes it does.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carl Hottenstein made a Mauser 30-06 for my uncle. It has a AAA grade maple stock carved instead of checkered. Prettiest rifle I've ever seen.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.