Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 21 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I can't for the life of me figure out what interest the state has in the marriage business.

A lawyer has already laid it out in this thread, and he ain't part of the Bible thumping set. Read it and educate yourself.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
....ooohhh a lawyer.....

The dissolution and division of property being an entirely different issue than the sanctioning and licensing is what is confusing you.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I hope you're right.

Me too!!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Snotwad
Will someone please explain how a same sex couple adversely effects their neighbors. Try as I might, I just cannot see what the big deal is.

They are pestilential.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Will someone please explain how a same sex couple adversely effects their neighbors. Try as I might, I just cannot see what the big deal is.

They are pestilential.

IE:

http://www.wnd.com/2002/09/15294/

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by denton
I repeat myself, but what the heck...

The question has been asked several times, exactly how does a gay marriage in your community harm you? I can't say for sure that it does. I believe that stable, two heterosexual parent families are better for society, but I don't have the hard evidence. I believe that homosexual activity and heterosexual activity outside marriage is a sin. But, then, there are a lot of people who disagree with me and that's perfectly OK. None of my business.

What certainly DOES harm society is the sort of thing that happened recently in Scotland.

preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

The agenda is not establishing gay marriage. The question of how that harms me is irrelevant.

The issue is that gays have an agenda to make themselves a protected class, based not on race or gender, but based on the fact that they choose to engage in homosexual behavior. If they can get that, then they can get to the point of having you arrested for "insulting" them.

One has to be very careful in their choice of words, as one's view of a situation can change with the semantics. "Preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin" is not quite the same as "man on a public street being arrested ...for a breach of the peace and for using homophobic language".
I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened. However:
In the first instance, I visualize a Pastor in a pulpit giving a Sunday Sermon, where he warns his flock of the sinful nature of homosexuality. Suddenly the SWAT team storms the peaceful assembly and drags the Pastor from the church in chains.
In the second case I visualize some guy in a public venue with a bullhorn, blocking the way of passersby and trying to whip up an incident by pissing off folks going about their business. A shoving match escalates to a fist fight and the police send in the Riot Squad to restore order.
Neither case is accurate. They are merely my first thoughts , based on the semantics of the media. Also, my thoughts have absolutely no bearing on the facts of the case, that is what the courts are for.
The police did the right thing. Their attention was drawn to a problem. They took action to end the disturbance. They referred the whole matter to the court where it will get all sorted out in a peaceful setting, not in a shouting match on the street.
Of further significance is the fact that all this is occurring in a foreign country where their values and laws may be quite different than what we are accustomed to here in the USA.
On a personal level, I'm quite content to stay home and mind my own business without getting involved in some European crap. While I do support freedom of religion and speech right along with all the other protected rights, I sometimes become exasperated with those who make a pain in the ass of themselves on a public right of way. IMHO, peaceful decorum , good manners, and interpersonal respect rule the day.

Wake up, smell the politician, and re-elect nobody.

"Nee how,nega bin da" (Mandarin: "Hello,dumb a$$)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gmack

Think of yourself as the last piece in a very long line of domino's...... and you can't see the first one go over. So you think you are safe from deviancy....... just wait my friend.

You assume that homosexuality is deviant, I assume it is difference. As my Granny always said, "Opinions are like armpits, everybody has a couple and most of 'em stink".

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

A lawyer has already laid it out in this thread, and he ain't part of the Bible thumping set. Read it and educate yourself.

No he did not.

He stated courts are needed to dissolve contracts. Marriage is not a contract. It is a personal relationship and nothing more.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
....ooohhh a lawyer.....

The dissolution and division of property being an entirely different issue than the sanctioning and licensing is what is confusing you.

Read this five times TAK. Read it out loud if it helps.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Marriage is the most sacred of contracts. You even vow before your God as to the union,for whatever it's worth.

You're a pard and one welcome at my dinner table 24/7 Travis but your personal anger clouds your ability to understand the nuances.

Isolate your issue and I will honestly answer. First honestly isolate your issue, though.

As of now, my buddy is making the cross examination way too [bleep] easy.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by isaac
Marriage is the most sacred of contracts. You even vow before your God as to the union,for whatever it's worth.

You're a pard and one welcome at my dinner table 24/7 Travis but your personal anger clouds your ability to understand the nuances.

Isolate your issue and I will honestly answer. First honestly isolate your issue, though.

I'm all ears.

It's easy. Take 'er away.

Travis

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Even according to Adam Smith, the enforcement of contracts is an essential government function.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Even according to Adam Smith, the enforcement of contracts is an essential government function.

I didn't know emptying your bag inside a female was a contract.

Travis

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Heterosexuals divorcing and the high divorce rate in this country have done more harm to children and society in general than gay marriage ever will.

Perhaps outlawing heterosexual marriage is the answer...

Nail on the head !!!

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
One has to be very careful in their choice of words...

Valid observations.

But what the story says to me is that the preacher was in a public place, probably "street preaching", and he called homosexuality a sin. There is no mention of disturbing the peace, or using a bullhorn, or being physically violent. What it says is that he a woman became annoyed with what he was saying, called the police, and the man was arrested for saying that homosexuality is a sin.

Muslims campaign to make "insulting Islam" a crime. In Canada, they seem to have been successful in their effort. The free speech restriction comes in the form of disallowing derogatory statements about races, ethnic groups, or religions. It all sounds very high-minded, but it is restriction of free speech.

Similarly, the gays are campaigning to make themselves a protected class, based on their choice of behavior. That means you can't discriminate against them. And very likely, in some countries, you will not be able to publicly speak your mind about your views of them. That seems to have already happened in Scotland.

If it happens here, you will indeed spend a lot more time at home minding your own business (read that "not entitled to speak publicly").

IMHO, peaceful decorum , good manners, and interpersonal respect rule the day.

As it always should. If everybody did that, the world would be a better place.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I can't for the life of me figure out what interest the state has in the marriage business.

Lawyers love laws,,, its called job insurance.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

A license isn't required to enter into a contract. The state doesn't have to sanction any contract I enter into.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by deflave

I'm all ears.

It's easy. Take 'er away.

Travis

======

No Travis, I'm all ears. I'm trying to understand you.

When you married,how did you avoid the government's role?

Aces and myself have had our battles but he understands the stark differences...and even the subtle ones, it appears.

What did the government do on your case that you or your ex wife didn't first ask it to do?
The state governments respond only to your RSVPs.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28

They are pestilential.

Since I'm not having sex with 'em, I'm not catching any disease. Further, any that marry are probably seeking a long term monogamous relationship so that would lessen any tendency to spread contagion. Sorry, but again, no adverse effect on their neighbor. BTW, are blood test still required for a marriage license?

Last edited by Snotwad; 01/10/14.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I

A license isn't required to enter into a contract. The state doesn't have to sanction any contract I enter into.

========

Sure they do. You've asked them to be a party when you seek the state's sanction of your impending marriage.

Nothing stops you from contractually undertaking a common law marriage with a prenup. The state doesn't force you to invite them into your fiasco, you ask them to.

William Arthur Ward

Page 17 of 21 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,889 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,829
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.