Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm discerning with rifles. Not much else..

Travis

C'mon now, don't make me dig up the thread where you nocomplimented my CZ hornet. wink

Oh, JSV!

I'm actually just bored and feel like arguing.

I may buy this for me if I'm nice to myself this Christmas.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/455-precision-trainer/

Travis

That would be sweet. I'd really like a heavy, tack driving rinfire. My 10/22 with a heavy stainless Green Mountain barrel just doesn't cut it.

I had a CZ 452 in 17HMR that was a scalpel, but would suddenly lose zero by several inches. Swapped scopes, bedded it, blah, blah, blah. No cure.- sent it down the road. Pity, they are sweet guns and the backwards safety on a CZ will really keep a guy on his toes. Kinda like when the wife starts being nice-makes me look around to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have a friend with a CZ in .223 that does that exact same bullschit.

Synthetics rule!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Sakoluvr: I have not obtained one of these as yet - I am kind of waiting for a Ruger 77/17H V/T to come along.
My Ruger 77/22 V/T (L.R.) and my Ruger 77/17 V/T (17 HMR) shoot so very well that I am anxiously awaiting Ruger to burp out some of these heavy barrel Model 77's in 17 Hornet.
I did own a Ruger 77/22H V/T in 22 Hornet several years ago and it shot only fair AT BEST!
The advantages I see in a Ruger heavy barrel Model 77/17 V/T is the high capacity rotary magazine, very low recoil (see your misses/hits), low cost to reload, great bullets available and perky ballistics and trajectory out to 250 yards or so.
The 223 Remington has more versatility and usefullness over-all as a Varmint round, I am sure.
But what a fun little cartridge this 17 Hornet should be - especially for us Ground Squirrel Hunters.
I have not heard one go off in the field but I bet the noise level would be low thus not scaring the Gophers down as much as a 223 Rifle would?
The "new shape" of this 17 Hornets case should aid in accuracy especially over the 22 Hornets shape (inherently inaccurate)?
And another reason the 17 Hornet interests me is because it is something new in the world of Rifles.
I do know that my 17 Remington Fireball and my older custom 17 MachIV perform WAY beyond my expectations.
But, as I recall, the "sales pitches" I have heard and read regarding the 17 Hornet none of them claimed to have "an advantage" of any kind over the 223.
About the only cartridges the 17 Hornet would hold an advantage over are the 17 HMR, 17 Mach2, 22 Magnum and the 22 Hornet.
I am hopin to be messin with a 17 Hornet come winter and have it ready for the late spring (around my parts anyway) arrival of the Gophers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Are you talking about the 77/17 in the Green Mountain stock? A sweet stock!

Anybody shot a 77/17? How do they shoot?

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 77 17 HMR with a magnum research graphite bull barrel. It makes shamrocks at 25 yards and is way under MOA at 100.

1B

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ruger told us they were never going to make them so we just built our own.
Here it is next to the 17HMR. They are a blast and so far every one is been easy sub MOA with the factory ammo.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A muzzle brake on a .17, now THAT is impractical!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Maybe impractical to you but the one with the brake is measurably easier to shoot accurately than the regular target/varmint models.

I've never used a brake on a 10/22 but they are standard equipment for competition rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well as I see it, the main advantage would be you can hand load 17 Hornets vs 17 HMR. My uncle had a 5mm Remington and shot it a lot till they stopped making ammo. I shot the 22 Hornet a lot over the years. I don't know if this one is going to catch on, but I guess there are people who like 17 cal Bullets. I remember the 17 Remington Coming out back in 1969. I personally can't see it as a small game cartridge, that is if you plan on eating the small game. Then again I maybe wrong on this all together.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
And they don't kick much.

I ust fireformed 2 17AH cases I formed from Hornets after the raiders lost, it is a 12" BULLBERRY contender, kick isn't much more than the 17 HMR.

Back to reforming brass for this toy. I am doing 50 to see how it shoots, with a 12x Redfield with the circles it looks like it will make a nice 125- 175 yard gun when the rifles get too hot, lol.

Allen

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
I don't know why but I want one!

I just wish they packaged them in something nice...the Savage just doesn't cut it.

Too bad someone doesn't make a small action that isn't cheap, over the top expensive, or clunky. Hello Remington??? maybe a 700 scaled down???

I'm looking into having an old Remington 580 (22 long rifle) converted to centerfire in 17HH but I'm waiting to see what comes on the market.

That's a good question!

Pacific Tool and Gauge over here makes bolts for model 700s...

I'll have to contact them today and see if they can make a bolt for one with a 22 hornet bolt face..

I've seen bolts made for those 5.7 rounds for a model 700...
they didn't sell real well, but were made in an attempt to make the round available to varmint shooters...

I checked on seeing if any Ruger were available... and to no avail with distributors..

but due to it coming out I have found some used Ruger 22 Hornets, but the price going up a couple of hundred bucks, with the speculation folks will want them to put a 17 Hornet barrel on them...

also wonder how this will compare performance wise with a 19 Caliber Calhoon Hornet..

Addendum, checking PTG's web site, they don't have a Model 700 bolt head available in a 22 Hornet bolt face... but they do have a bolt head available for a Savage 110 action in 22 Hornet.. they are $50 but a 17 hornet built on a Savage 10 Short Action wouldn't be a bad route to go...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'll get a .17 Hornet when somebody starts making a good .17 deer bullet.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see me buying a rifle just to have the latest and greatest. I do agree that the 17 Hornet should have less recoil, less powder, and possibly less noise. I also understand Sakoluvr's skeptizism. However the reason I am seriously considering this rifle is the simple FACT it will have less fur damage particularly on fox and bobcat. The fact that it will take out a coyote quite handily is a bonus. I have killed well over 100 coyotes with a .223 and most of the time fur damage isn't bad, but there's been a few that were a real mess. I can't see that happening with a 17 Hornet. The graphic photo below is what happens when things go wrong with a .223. In this case it was a 55gr. Nosler BT and the coyote was at 30 yards. I've shot them with this same load, just as close with virtually no damage. My point being when things go wrong with the .223 it goes really wrong. This was the entry wound, there was no exit. I've nearly cut red fox right in half with a .223. I just don't see this happening with a 17 Hornet.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Big Sky; 10/15/12.

Is it Friday yet?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Seafire

I checked on seeing if any Ruger were available... and to no avail with distributors..

As of this morning Davidsons has 70 in stock and Lipseys has 11. They are pretty slow movers.

In a Remington 700 making up the bolt would be the easy part. I would just turn the rim off it, cut the rim recess into it and bury a Ruger extractor into the side of it. Problem I see is the bolt lugs are so far up into the action you couldn't reach the chamber with a round to load it. Extraction with a plunger ejector would never work right either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about necking one back up to .22 caliber in order to have decent brass for the .22hornet?

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not a 25 Hornet.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I think we should do a .29 Hornet with an Ackley Improved 40-degree shoulder. Couldn't work that into the case (which would have to be pretty much straight) but we could put the magic 40-degree shoulder on the bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B-29 Lite?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
B-29 Short Mag....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

How about B-29GFY?

The GFY stands for Great For Yotes.

Just trying to help out here!

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
B-29 Short Mag....

Oh, Myyyyy!

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 36 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.