-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My photographer and I will be shooting photos of rifles to be included in the Savage 99 book at Savage Fest. We'll credit the owner and use the serial number in the book with the owner's permission.
The guns we need are:
1) 1895 Half octagon. Rick if you can bring your rifle we need to reshoot it.
2) Caliber .30 marking on an early 30-30. These markings are usually faint and the photos we have so far aren't book quality.
3) Barrel address Style 4A per Murray's book.
4) Barrel address Style 5 per Murray's book.
5) Early 99DL with 24" barrel and hand checkering.
6) Early (1961?) uncheckered 99E with stained fruitwood stock.
7) 1960's Savage scope with Savage mounts and rings mounted on a rifle, preferably a 99E/S.
8) Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation commemorative rifle.
9) We can also use any peculiar variations.
My second book will be on engraved 1895's, 1899's and 99's. This book will also include special checkering, carved stocks, etc. If we have time we'll photograph any of this that is available.
Ron Coburn has sent me some emails to read to you guys at SF. He won't be able to attend but is interested in attending a future Savage Fest. He's sending photos of his Savages for us to display at SF this year.
I'm looking forward to meeting you guys in person. David

Last edited by Rick99; 08/28/14. Reason: added numbers

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The photography crew is gonna be a busy group.
Yes, I'm bringing the 1895 half oct.
As previously mentioned I will have a portable photo setup and provide toe tags to ID rifle/owners during the process.
The photo area layout can be something like this...

[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Rick99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can do #2 (.30 Sav) and #8 (Elk Foundation w/case). If anyone was planning to bring one for a display let me know and I'll leave mine at home.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Steve, wood!

Brian

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think Ralph brought wood in 2012 but has likely sold most of it since. (no ribald comments, please) grin

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got detail photos of John Wright's RMEF but failed to get an overall photo.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will bring #5 and #7. I can also bring the RMEF for an overall photo if that will save you time. Thought you shot the #7 E/S at the farm. It has special order factory wood w/pg as well as Savage scope rings etc. Is that what you are looking for? SN is 1150338.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, bring the RMEF and that way all the photos will be of the same rifle. I did shoot the E/S at the farm but I don't want to confuse novice collectors with things like the special order factory wood. We don't want those new guys running around looking for 99E's like yours. We don't want to disappoint and discourage them until they're really hooked. I did take closeups of the scope mounts but need some showing the markings on the scope. If I live long enough to do Book Three it'll have things like that E with special wood in it. Book Two will contain excruciating details of engraved 99's. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Rick99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll leave the REMF at home. Do you need photos of the case?

Rick...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
David, not sure I can help you, but I recently bought a rifle from Don/Loggah's brother Dick that has Savage scope and rings. It's a 99F with PE? wood. PM if I can contribute.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 08/29/14.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Fireball. I saw that rifle when I was at Dick's house. I have the scope what I need is one mounted with the Savage marked mounts. They seem to be fairly rare. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there one among us who could possibly take some video at Savage Fest? Could be posted with the pics. (on Rory's web site (probably shoulda asked first blush ))

At some point on Saturday we'll have a short presentation where I welcome all, our moderator Rick99 says a few words, David has a message from Ron Coburn, ect. Open to suggestions.

Plus just some nice video of our members and our hobby, sickness, addiction, passion...

Making a DVD is a little far fetched, but, let's have some fun. smile

Thoughts?

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Which Savage marked rings do you need? The older ones that fit the Lyman bases or the newer ones that fit the Weaver bases? I have plenty of both.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
George, are you saying Savage used Weaver bases and rings that had the Savage brand stamped on them?

I believe he is looking for the Lyman trulock style with Savage markings on them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup. The earlier ones were Lyman Trulock copies and the later ones were Weaver compatible. Got a small drawer full of each. The Lyman compatible rings are pretty much round while the Weaver compatible ones are more angular getting kinda pointy on the sides. Not saying that they were actual Weavers. They do fit Weaver blocks. In any event, I have both. Maddog and I had this discussion some time back. Good thing for me that I still have two complete sets of the Lyman knockoffs in the original Savage packaging but those are keepers. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Skidrow. I'd like to include both in the book. Do you have any that are mounted on a rifle with a Savage scope? I'll photograph them either way but prefer mounted. I'm sending you a PM also. Thanks, David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
David,

Sadly it doesn't look like I'll be able to make the fest this year and given the distance apart we are that makes a photo op improbable. Given other circumstances I've got a NIB Savage 2.5 scope that would look quite nice wearing a pair of the Lyman knock off Savage rings mounted on my not pristine but considerably above "gray rat" postwar 99R. Alas....

Received your PM and responded.

Take care,
George

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
George, sorry to hear you won't be able to make it.

Brian

Rick99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to have to remove you from the list. Will miss seeing you old salty dog.

Rick...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skidrow
David,

Sadly it doesn't look like I'll be able to make the fest this year and given the distance apart we are that makes a photo op improbable. Given other circumstances I've got a NIB Savage 2.5 scope that would look quite nice wearing a pair of the Lyman knock off Savage rings mounted on my not pristine but considerably above "gray rat" postwar 99R. Alas....

Received your PM and responded.

Take care,
George

W.T.H. George!
Now I Left alone to bunk with Gary! eek Your No Help at all!

Let Me Know when You Get Up to Tomahawk this Fall? Will spend a Day or 2 at My Place.
STEVE

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.