Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have a buddy that is selling a used Mathews Reezen 7.0 for 400 bucks. I'm new to bows, so I was wondering if that was a good deal or not- it's for the bow only. The bow was barely hunted with for one season and is a one owner bow. He was going to keep it for his son, but said he would sell it to me. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$400 is reasonable if it is in very good condition, and that includes string and cables. I wouldn't pay more than that, and if the strings/cables need replaced, I wouldn't pay more than $300.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The price is right for a newer used bow, with good strings and cables that don't need replaced for another year or so. I liked the Reezen, it was a good shooting bow for me.

However, the Reezen has a known issue with the riser bending over time under the load of the limbs, shooting, etc. Mathews has, in the past, refused to replace the riser.

I use the largest volume Mathews dealer in Virginia, and have owned the Reezen 6.5 version with 55-65 limbs for about two years. Mine did not bend, but I was advised by the shop to sell it before it did. They had 5 risers in the shop from bending issues, some replaced by Mathews, some were not. They continue to see them coming in.

The Gridlock riser was supposed to solve the problem, and the factor in the design change. My 2 cents...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As stated, a good price for a newer used bow. The Z7 is a great bow if you like the Reezen. And one could be had for same money. Id pass

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought used bows for several years, because they were cheaper than new. Last year I went and got professionally fitted and bought a new bow that should last me for the next 10 years.

If I had it to do over again, I'd never have bought the first used one. You'll be money ahead, and have the correct setup if you just go buy a new one from a good bow shop IMO. Just a thought.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The trick is knowing your draw length(super simple to figure out), what poundage you want to shoot, and buying accordingly. I will never buy a NEW bow. They depreciate like nobodies business and there are too many with deep pockets out there willing to take that hit. Professionally fitted means different things according to what shop you go to. And most will not take the time to get it exactly right. Too much time spent with one customer cuts into their profits. Sad, but thats the way the majority operate.

For those that want to know THEIR draw length(do NOT go by numbers on a cam or module because they arent accurate). A bows true DL must be measured with a draw board. To find YOUR PERSONAL DRAW LENGTH, stand with your side facing a wall. Extend your bow arm towards the wall and make a fist. Touch the wall with your fist. Turn your head and face the wall. Have someone measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth. That is YOUR draw length. Your bow should be sized accordingly.

Different bows will have different feels as far as draw cycle, let off, valley, wall firmness. Go shoot as many as you can. Find what you like. Then hit the classifieds and snag one. As a rule, NEVER buy a used bow regardless of claimed condition without expecting to replace string/cables once you get it. Good safety rule to keep in mind

Last edited by 280Ackleyrized; 01/09/14.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No offense, but that's easy for you to say. When you don't have to pay somebody to work on a bow you can certainly shop used. I have before, but I hated it the whole time. I was just never certain it was "right".

Given the op plainly states he's new to bows, buying a new one from a reputable shop that will help with the learning curve ain't a bad option.

That said, I apologize for taking the thread off track. I didn't mean to hijack the post.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No hijacking. Thats why I opened my shop. Because most so called "pro shops" dont do it right. They get it "close enough" and get you out the door so they can reel in the next customer. And for people just starting out in archery, they dont know any different. Unfortunately the shops that are willing to teach(and yes they do exist) are the exception, not the rule.

Custom Strings/Tuning
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They are going ~425 used on Ebay, for just the bow itself.

I have one and was going to sell it as well, but am waiting a bit - they are nice bows.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,351 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.