Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by richardca99
I have one Montana in .280 AI. I did bed it and relieve the barrel channel a bit; as was pointed out though, I do that to ALL my rifles. It took quite a bit of experimentation (and denial) for me to figure out that it was never going to shoot tiny little groups with 140 grain bullets. Once I switched to heavier pills, it started stacking them.

IMHO, the combination of weight and a super-narrow, round forearm makes it more challenging to shoot from the bench than others, particularly when you top it with a 2.5-8x36 like many of us do. However, when I go to the woods, I ALWAYS grab it. It has made most of my other rifles irrelevant, as it feels so damn good in the hand and in a pack. It's a winning combination in the woods for sure.

Absolutely.

GB1

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found 24hourcampfire looking for information on my first Kimber, one of the .338 federal NRA guns. I�ve owned 5-6 sense then and have two in the safe, both 84Ls, a 30-06 and a .270. I purchased the .270 when Nosler announced the accubond LR. The rifle has sat in the safe as I wait to find some of the bullets. I�ve shot both with factory fodder, but haven�t really tried to get max accuracy. Both shoot fine enough for hunting and neither were purchased as a target rifle, and getting skunked the last two years for elk/deer tags I�m really in no hurry.

Now that my kids are old enough, I spend more time shooting .22lr with them.

I guess what I�m saying is that Kimbers are boringly fine these days. The kinks have either been worked out, or there is plenty of information on what to do if you do get a bad one. Unlike a 700 there really isn�t much to upgrade. Aluminum trigger guard and bolt handle anyone?

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
You'll hear more about the Forbes rifles in short order. Especially the 20B.

1. Melvin's actions are stronger.
2. The Forbes rifles utilize a #2 barrel contour.
3. Each action is individually bedded to the stock.
4. Melvin's stock is stiffer.
5. The 24B and 20B cost more than a Kimber, a true NULA is much more.

I'm a Kimber fan, but you'll see a bunch of Kimber Montana's for sale once the Forbes rifles are readily available in all stainless.

Really?

Apples and oranges. Only common denominator is light weight.
You need to look at the action type. Kimber is a pre64 Winchester derivative downsized) and the NULA/Forbes is a Remington clone (downsized).

Controlled feed/three position wing type safety versus pushfeed lever safety. Fit and feel is very individual to each person. (Lots of people like Sako Finnlights, but they really don't do a lot for me. I feel I'd have to restock to like them better. As they are already very expensive, add another $600 for a McMillan, by then it's not really all that much more to a NULA!)Just because Forbes comes out does not necessarily mean a dump of Montanas and a rush to Forbes.If it does, maybe there will be a some cheap Montanas!

BTW, I thought the NULAS were full length bedded which may explain their consistency?

Last edited by AB2506; 01/14/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I watched a pre-64 model 70 choke constantly for 3-days in Randy Cain's Practical Rifle class. The Hill brothers had Randy Cain come out to OR for that same course years ago. One or more Kimbers constantly had feeding problems in that course. So much for the "utter-reliable" pre-64 model 70 and its clones.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AB2506

BTW, I thought the NULAS were full length bedded which may explain their consistency?

They are.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Before we get into a pissing match over the so-called preceived merits of one action type over another.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olymp...ympic-spot-to-twin-sister-171228766.html

Now piss on each others boots.

Last edited by battue; 01/14/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Before we get into a pissing match over the so-called preceived merits of one action type over another.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olymp...ympic-spot-to-twin-sister-171228766.html

Now piss on each others boots.

No pissing going on, just personal preference. My point was that there likely won't be a run as the rifles are quite different.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
....and ShortActionSmoker meant his personal Kimbers and not necessarily everyone elses.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I much prefer the Nula stock for fit than the Kimber. Some don't like the more curved grip of the Nula but I prefer it and for some reason the Nula stock seems to jump less off the bench and recoils less. The more curved grip allows the palm to absorb more of the recoil?

Battue do you think that's because the NULA has a slightly heavier barrel contour than the Kimber?

Have not fired a NULA in years but noticed this comparing the Forbes to a Montana in the store recently.The tube seems heavier in contour.

I like the Forbes but would grab the Montana,myself.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RemingtonRules
If you are looking for peer approval around this place you need to move on. Finicky bunch of girls around here that only like what they have in their model and caliber.

I guess I left High school years ago and do not care what others think.

Just curious, are you Swampy?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I read somewhere that the Forbes rifle has a number 2 (ish) contour.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bob,

I don't think there is enough difference in the weight to make all that much difference. While both stocks are relatively straight in the comb, for myself the Nula does feel more comfortable on the bench and off hand than does the Kimber. I have been trying to get a handle on the why for sometime now. While I like Kimbers a lot, there is no doubt for my body shape the Nula is a more comfortable design. Others my feel differently.

I do think the more curved grip of the Nula allows the palm to absorb more recoil than the Kimber, which may account for for what I preceive as less barrel jump. I would think the less one can hold onto a rifle-which corresponds to a straighter grip design-the more tendency there would be for the barrel to jump.

Definitely FWIW. smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Exactly my point, I see your panties are already wadded.
So was your Mom's after she left the Red Roof Inn the other night.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
....and ShortActionSmoker meant his personal Kimbers and not necessarily everyone elses.

Well, from what I can tell, that right there would be a glut of Kimbers on the market...... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nobody's getting that lucky right now! I'm in the process of taking a few from being a great rifle to the perfect rifle....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Darrik, do you know if the SS Forbes will have a Stainless receiver and CM bolt?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by slg888
Exactly my point, I see your panties are already wadded.
So was your Mom's after she left the Red Roof Inn the other night.

Very classy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Darrik, do you know if the SS Forbes will have a Stainless receiver and CM bolt?

I don't know Billy. I heard the same comment from someone too, but I've not verified it. I'd certainly hope not...

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Out of curiosity, what would be the point in doing that?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another question: Does the stainless 700 have a CM bolt?

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.