Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Honorable mention for a fun handgun to carry for plinking, where it is not needed for protection (you have a rifle, shotgun...), could be an air pistol. Nearly silent, compared to a firearm. Perhaps an option where firearms are prohibited or where good sense would otherwise prevent you from shooting too close to inhabited areas. They are so cheap to shoot and to own.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pal; 01/06/14.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PAL,

I have the pump version of that CO2 pistol. The Sheridan HB20

It will easily and cleanly take all sorts of small game. I've had it since the late 70s. For survival, a tin of 500 pellets with this pump pistol can provide a whole lot of food

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A couple of choices for me, for general summer urban use, kimber 45 Auto, for nasty weather prolonged use. Sig same caliber. If "big" bears are anywhere within a100 miles a marlin 1895 in 45/70. Pistols are worthless unless you are very, very lucky or can shove it in their mouth.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An airgun is so fun to plink with because of its low cost and low report. All I have left is my Sheridan carbine.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Glock 27. 1lb 10.7oz, loaded. We don't have any brown bears here in the Sierras, but tons of black bears. Honestly though, the glock is not carried for bear protection when I backpack, I always bring my belgian malinois along, and bears give her a wide berth. The handgun is just in case of the 2 legged loonies out there.

I carry "condition 3" in a pouch on my backpack belt, so I can save the weight of a holster, and avoid detection in the liberal-friendly areas where I backpack. I know a lot of people have hard and fast rules for how they carry firearms, some will never use a shoulder holster, others only carry condition 1, etc. But for me, the perceived needs/ risk factors are always taken into account, and for backpacking, Condition 3 carry without a holster fits my needs the best.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have no affiliation whatsoever and can't speak for the seller or the piece, but will mention that on armslist in MT there is a 329pd for sale with a crimson trace grip for $900. It has been on there a few weeks and I was considering buying it because it's a good deal and I love mine, but I have no use for another.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Another very important reason to have your chambers engraved with numbers

Easy to see at a glance what your going to have first up

Jim,

I number my chambers too. One is numbered 357 Sig and the other 9mm.

Of course, I'm a Glock man and that simplifies things immensely.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave, we need to go shoot

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Glock 20 with DT wide meplat GC 200gr, Lone Wolf barrel,Truglo sights a 3.5lb connector, misc.extended small parts

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
One more observation, I have had far fewer (as in NO) troubles out of my Glocks, while I have had a fair amount of trouble out of Smith Revolvers. Once sorted out, they all run, but I have had to send 2 different Smiths back and no Glocks back. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, just trying to list my experiences.

K1500,

I've had two of my back-up hunting revolvers come down with problems. One S&W Scandium N-frame PD, and one 5-shot Taurus Ti.

On the PD, the scandium barrel shroud came loose. I had no way to tighten the assembly so it was sent back to S&W. The heaviest loads shot were 255gr hardcast at ~900fps so not exactly wrist wreckers. As I understand it, the shroud is held in place by tightening the barrel into the frame. So, was the barrel unscrewing? Don't know, but didn't like the flip-floppy shroud with front sight going side to side!

On the Taurus Ti, the center pin in the ejector star was stuck in the retracted position. I had fired a cylinder or so of ammo one day, then the revolver started to jam. WTF?! At the time this was my hunting sidearm. I about chucked that Ti into the Snake River from Hat Pt.

When the pin remains retracted the cylinder is not locked. I found a burr had formed inside the ejector rod. The center pin had been hammering the inside of the ejector rod. This revolver had relatively few rounds through it when it went down. A little interwebs searching found other Tore-us owners with the same exact problem. I know a few dudes with 5-shot Tauri and told them to inspect their revolvers but it goes in one ear and out the other crazy. Such a simple thing to check. Haven't seen or heard of this problem with S&W or Ruger revolvers. Mebbe the ejector rods on the Tauri are soft? Don't know.

I've had other issues with revolvers but mostly timing or shooting them loose. An enhanced 629 didn't like 300gr at 1200fps, and a Bearcat would spit lead. There's been others too but those come to mind.

I've only had three Glocks, but haven't had any problems with the Nines. G30 would occasionally have feed/eject problems that are not unheard of for that model.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/11/14. Reason: typos
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PastorDan
I carry my 3" 629 in a chest holster when backpacking. Because it is on my chest and not adding weight to what is on my back I don't seem to really notice the added weight.

I'm not a back packer but I think this makes two great points important to a back packer carrying a sidearm or for any handgun hunter for that matter. First, to JJH's point, in a WCS, the thing has to be immediately in hand to operate which it is in a cross chest carry; second is, the cross chest carry mitigates the weight somewhat due to a shorter fulcrum. For instance, it's not in a pack somewhere further from your body or hanging on a hip.

I use my RRH 5.5" 45 Colt to hunt whitetails. This handgun is heavy--in the 50's oz-wise but hunting with it in a cross chest holster makes me sigh compared to carrying a rifle or muzzle loader as I usually do.

FWIW.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
George, the same can be said for shoulder style bino straps like crooked horns.

Even my 10x42 geovids are an effortless carry with a shoulder strap carry system

Spreading the weight over a larger area makes a big difference

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
PAL,

I have the pump version of that CO2 pistol. The Sheridan HB20

It will easily and cleanly take all sorts of small game. I've had it since the late 70s. For survival, a tin of 500 pellets with this pump pistol can provide a whole lot of food

I had that or another version in the very early sixties when my dad was in grad school at the univ of Wyoming in Laramie. I was about 12 or 13 and roamed for miles east of town wreaking havoc on praire dogs. I had to be very close and hit them in the head.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You didn't say what kind of country you ramble in or what your greatest perceived need would be. If not big bears another direction could be truly light-weight. The S&W, 317 Airlite .22 with 3 1/2" barrel is about thirteen ounces and 22's of course weigh little. These can have adj sights with a fiber optic front.

Mine is my "kit gun" and goes with me everywhere outside unless of course I'm doing some serious hunting; then there other more effective options.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine's 12.3 oz empty. Quite accurate.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have carried a number of handguns for backpacking over the past 30+ years. The first consideration, for me, is can I hit with a particular handgun. I tend to shoot a little heavier gun more accurately than an ultralight. I tried a 329, and really liked it, but with full power loads it kicked like my FA 454.
I used to carry a Dan Wesson .44 mag backpacking because I could shoot it well. Last year I carried the 454 for a month while guiding. It is a fairly heavy gun, but carried in FA's chest holster I keep it tucked under my left arm out of the way of my bino's, and the weight is much less noticeable in a shoulder rig.
I carried the DW in a El Paso Saddlery tanker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by STONE_57

I just wanted to get some input on what you all carry when backpacking, and why?

Started "serious" backpacking in 1975... have never "needed" a pistol, ever. Not in bear country, not anywhere. Ever.

YMMV

Lot of LEO could say the same...so?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
329PD for most everything and a 340PD when I'm going small and light during bow season.

"life is tough... It's even tougher when your stupid"

The Duke
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.