Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
If you own a .375 H & H, what do you use it for in the U. S.? In the middle 90's I made a couple trips for plains game.. During that time I barreled up a 700 in .375 H & H.. Shot one waterbuck with it and a couple pronghorns.. Always, think I will take it for elk, and I have, but never shot one with it.. I plan to use it for deer, but again, never shot one.. When I see the number of questions about the old 375 or the newer ones for that matter, I wondered what do you guys use your .375 for here in the U.S.?? I can see a use in Alaska for big bear, but here it would just be because we like the caliber.. ??? What do you use this old caliber for??

Molon Labe
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd be interested in the responses to this also, since I'm contemplating getting a 375 of some flavor even though I'll never see africa. Just cause I like a little bigger pills than most in this part of the world. I could use it for bear here in Pa. 700 lber was shot this year here.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If my math is right, I've owned 4 of them ... very early pre 64 model 70, Ruger #1s in blue and stainless, and a 700 XCR. I don't remember shooting anything but digger squirrels with them .. they'll shoot clear through a squirrel even on quartering shots. No lie.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 375 Ruger Guide Gun on the way. Sold the Marlin 45-70 to fund it. I wanted a rifle that some day be able to use in Africa and Alaska or whatever I wanted to go hunting. I plan on using it for elk or bear in the mean time. I was trying to decide getting the Ruger Guide gun or the Hawkeye African model. Decide on the Guide gun because the African model looked to nice to carry in the brush.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Mine's a No.1 and I've hunted elk with it on occasion - 1 cow to date. It's more of a novelty than anything else - I do some cast bullet shooting with reduced loads as well. Might use those loads on a deer hunt one of these days...

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have carried mine (375 H&H) whitetail doe hunting. Unsuccessfully though.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd use mine for anything here in the states. I really enjoy shooting mine (375 H&H).

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used mine for deer & antelope. I used my brother's for deer & 1 calf elk.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have both a 375 H&H and a 375 Ruger and like the shorter barrel on the 375 Ruger for carrying in the brush. Both are carried for bear and moose. Both are stainless and have 1.5x6 scopes on them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A 375 kills prairie dogs with gusto.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I've shot the head off a ground squirrel with my 9.3x62mm before. I would have used my 375, but I thought that would be way overkill laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A 9.3x62 may be just right, as the 375 way overpenetrates! wink

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This with the 260 gr Partition at a cruising 2650 fps. My since sold Remington KS Mountain rifle. Took another a couple of years later with the same load, pushed by 73 grs of RE-15.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My buddy uses his(Ruger #1)religiously for hogs.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a H&H. got it when I lived in AK, took it for moose and bear but didn't kill anything with t. Moved to Georgia and heard it whinning to go out, Have shot a couple deer and pigs,
The round is so big and fast that it goes through witout expanding, I think about the time it thinks about expanding it's already a foot past the animal.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Used mine on deer and elk here in the U.S.

Ohh, and one rattlesnake grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
WCH,
As I've posted before, I use my 375H&H for everything from coyotes to elk. I'd post pics but this site is a pain to post film prints in, no scanner. As mentioned before I have hunted with the same rifle/load combination since 1996. 260 grain Nosler Partition in front of 69.0 grains RL15 with a Fed 210 igniter during warm weather and switch to Fed 215 when I hunt in cold temps. She's flying at 2650fps out of my barrel and it's a pleasure to shoot. Recoil is around a full case load 06 180gr. In my rifle this load will print clover leaf groups. I have three scopes for her in Talley QD Rings, one a VXII 1-4 & the other a VXII 4-12AO LRD & 2.5-8. The rifle looks better with the 1-4 so it is on there most days unless I want to play with long range shooting then I switch to the 4-12. That is the only time I jump the loading up also just to reach out a little farther and pretty much have the same trajectory of a 06 with a 180 grain bullet. Recoil is still easy to manage but it is heavier, 72.5gr RL15 same bullet. Thought about going to the 260 AccuBonds for distance but I haven't yet.

I look at the 375's as a large 30-06 and use it as such. It's still a medium bore and have found it to be a real pleasure to hunt. When hunting deer & elk it's just plain and simple a killer. Some say it's to much? Dead is dead and I don't see any difference in killing power when shot through the lungs than a 300 WM. The soft front of the Nosler Partition seems to open up by looking at the wound channel but honestly no animal has caught one yet. But I'm not a shoulder shooter so the ribs, heart, & lungs just don't stop this bullet. Now on coyotes I don't believe it expands nice hole in and out, but they crumble where they stand, most times. With no massive hide damage if you keep the hides.

If you are trying to justify using the big medium bore, I don't think you can, but if you decide to hunt her I think you will like it. Do you need a 375 to hunt in North America, Nope I don't think so! She does nothing that a good 30/06 or 300 magnum won't do.

Ya see it's been easy for me to use the 375H&H since it is the only rifle I have had from about 2001. With the exception of a 7mmRM which I bought to prove a point in LR Shooting with a friend of mine. I had that rifle for about 6 months then sold it. I guess it's really time for you to figure this out for your self now. You just need to load her up and hunt her. Trust me, she will do ANYTHING that you ask of her with the right bullets from mice to elephants!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
If you own a .375 H & H, what do you use it for in the U. S.? In the middle 90's I made a couple trips for plains game.. During that time I barreled up a 700 in .375 H & H.. Shot one waterbuck with it and a couple pronghorns.. Always, think I will take it for elk, and I have, but never shot one with it.. I plan to use it for deer, but again, never shot one.. When I see the number of questions about the old 375 or the newer ones for that matter, I wondered what do you guys use your .375 for here in the U.S.?? I can see a use in Alaska for big bear, but here it would just be because we like the caliber.. ??? What do you use this old caliber for??

Do what I did last month, take a trip to Texas and use your .375 on Nilgai.
I hunted with a guide, who said my Nilgai kill was one of only two Nilgai in his experience that were dropped dead in their tracks.
May have been 'overkill', but it sure was fun!

Last edited by Bighorn; 01/15/14.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks for all the replies.. Most sound like me with my .375.. Wild Bill thanks for your info.. I have too many rifles to use just one, but I will get the .375 out more..

Bighorn, that nilgai hunt sounds like a good one.. Never got down far enough in Texas to kill one.. Better too much gun than too little..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have shot 4 deer with mine using a 200 grain Sierra FN at 2200 fps. It is a hammer.
I want to use it on black bear.
Most average bear is 200 pounds, but the big ones can push 3 times that if they can find a good dump.
They work on prairie dogs and raccoon as well.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For several years now, we have had state regs that allow single shot cartridge rifles 35 cal or larger to be used in our primitive seasons. Most of the folks wanting flatter trajectory went with 35 Whelens. I like doing things a little different, went with an Encore barrel in 9.3x74r, and later an 1885 in 375.
235 Speer over Reloder 17 for 2900, it flattens them, no surprise right? I don't find the recoil objectionable at all.
It's latest victim from the weekend past:
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff139/crappienut/photo5_zps4c0be6f7.jpg[Linked Image]

Last edited by jeffdwhite; 01/15/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

While it's really too much gun it could be used for bear, elk and moose. The most one needs is .35 Whelen. Less rifle mass and less felt recoil.

Oh by the way ,375 Winchester make fine woods deer gun.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Picked up a high wall 1885 in 375 h&h and it is now the only rifle I have left. One gun to do it all, mostly I hunt deer and bear in PA, but it will be traveling with me soon. Can shoot "light" bullets at 1000fps with trail boss up to 380 slugs. Currently shootng the 260gr accubond (factory federal load) during hunting season, haven't clocked it but imagine it's moving from the 28" tube. Always wanted a 375, love it now that I have it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned a 375Magnum in one form or another for most of almost the last 20yrs now. Mine gets used for moose here at home and has been on two trips to the Yukon. The last trip my 375CT bagged a mountain caribou.

Other than big bears and maybe bison, the 375 really isn't needed here in Canada. Most that own them (myself incl.) would be just as well served with a smaller non-magnum chambering like the 338/06, 35Whelen or 9.3x62.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
For several years now, we have had state regs that allow single shot cartridge rifles 35 cal or larger to be used in our primitive seasons.

That's a cool twist on a primitive season!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
For several years now, we have had state regs that allow single shot cartridge rifles 35 cal or larger to be used in our primitive seasons.

That's a cool twist on a primitive season!

forgot to mention that it also calls out "with exposed hammer"
bummer that my 9.3 and 450-400 Rugers can't play...
caused some teeth-gnashing from the front-stuffer diehards, but hey - you can still use 'em! have a sweet little TC inline I won't be gettin rid of just in case the urge strikes smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even with the "exposed hammer" deal, it still gives you some pretty good options. Lots of 45/70s.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
WCH,
As I've posted before, I use my 375H&H for everything from coyotes to elk. I'd post pics but this site is a pain to post film prints in, no scanner. As mentioned before I have hunted with the same rifle/load combination since 1996. 260 grain Nosler Partition in front of 69.0 grains RL15 with a Fed 210 igniter during warm weather and switch to Fed 215 when I hunt in cold temps. She's flying at 2650fps out of my barrel and it's a pleasure to shoot. Recoil is around a full case load 06 180gr. In my rifle this load will print clover leaf groups. I have three scopes for her in Talley QD Rings, one a VXII 1-4 & the other a VXII 4-12AO LRD & 2.5-8. The rifle looks better with the 1-4 so it is on there most days unless I want to play with long range shooting then I switch to the 4-12. That is the only time I jump the loading up also just to reach out a little farther and pretty much have the same trajectory of a 06 with a 180 grain bullet. Recoil is still easy to manage but it is heavier, 72.5gr RL15 same bullet. Thought about going to the 260 AccuBonds for distance but I haven't yet.

I look at the 375's as a large 30-06 and use it as such. It's still a medium bore and have found it to be a real pleasure to hunt. When hunting deer & elk it's just plain and simple a killer. Some say it's to much? Dead is dead and I don't see any difference in killing power when shot through the lungs than a 300 WM. The soft front of the Nosler Partition seems to open up by looking at the wound channel but honestly no animal has caught one yet. But I'm not a shoulder shooter so the ribs, heart, & lungs just don't stop this bullet. Now on coyotes I don't believe it expands nice hole in and out, but they crumble where they stand, most times. With no massive hide damage if you keep the hides.

If you are trying to justify using the big medium bore, I don't think you can, but if you decide to hunt her I think you will like it. Do you need a 375 to hunt in North America, Nope I don't think so! She does nothing that a good 30/06 or 300 magnum won't do.

Ya see it's been easy for me to use the 375H&H since it is the only rifle I have had from about 2001. With the exception of a 7mmRM which I bought to prove a point in LR Shooting with a friend of mine. I had that rifle for about 6 months then sold it. I guess it's really time for you to figure this out for your self now. You just need to load her up and hunt her. Trust me, she will do ANYTHING that you ask of her with the right bullets from mice to elephants!

You nailed it, well put sir! I have one because as it was put to me by a very accomplished Rifleman, Gunsmith and hunter as well as my friend. "Everyone loves a good three seven five."

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It's basically all I have used in the last 15yrs. I picked up an Alaskan in 375R about 5yrs ago and retired the Browning H&H. Used it for everything including the little dog in the picture by my name!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've shot the following with my H&H: mountain goats, moose, brown bears, river otters, and deer-lots of deer. Stuff shot with a 300gr partition tends to stay shot, no matter if it's four yards out or 400.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
375 Ruger Guide Gun came in yesterday. So I picked it up at my dealer. Real happy with it so far. Balances well and comes up fast into the shoulder pocket. At first seeing pictures of stock I was not sure about it, But the more I handle it the more I like it. It will be used for elk and bear. This will be my first 375 caliber. In past owned 338 and 45-70. I have the dies and a pound of Reloader 17. All I need now is some cases and bullets.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bloodied my lefty Ruger Alaskan 375 with two nilgai. 300gr Sierra Game Kings loaded to about 2450fps with RE15. I've got some 225 and 235gr bullets that I intend to load up for whitetail or pigs just for the fun of it, even though the 243 has been merciless on them thus far.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
375 Ruger...Lots of stuff... One deer, hogs, a black bear, a moose. It's great! Confidence is a great feeling..

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been lusting (a little) after a 375 ruger guide gun, then I thought I might get more use from a 338, load it with 185s or 200s for deer and such here in PA just because,......then yesterday I find a mint savage 99F in 358 at the gun shop that stuck to my hands and that was that.....but I'm still thinking about that 375......or maybe the 338......I hate this rifle addiction thing......HELP! I need HELP!...and a money machine.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just picked up a Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger. The plan is to replace my .35 Whelen for moose and bears in Northern BC where I hunt. My Whelen never really let me down but I like the package of the Alaskan with its short barrel. Got two boxes of 250gr TTSX that should just do the trick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hope to have a moose tag for your state by May 9. If so, in October, will use my 375 R as a primary and take a 30/06 as a back-up. Probably will be a load with the 260-gr Nos Accubond at about 2800-2900 fps.

It'd be a great elk load too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by badger; 01/20/14.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've shot Moose, brown bear and Caribou with mine. Worked good.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Nothing around here but deer and hogs. But my 376 carbine shoots 270's sub MOA so I use it for that.
burns a good bit of powder, kicks a bit more than needed, but it's really a favorite.
And if a rhino does invade my food plot Im ready.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
.375 Ruger works on deer:

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by badger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good looking' buff, badger!

lucky the buff hunters didn't have .375's, or the buffalo would be extinct for sure.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Mine are paper punchers. I can see bigger holes easier.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
375 ruger makes good hog medicine. Definately overkill but tons of fun!

Shot a doe last year at 50 yards and to my amazement, there was no pass through! 260gr accubonds at a little over 2800 and a perfect mushroom just under the hide on the far side. While the internal damage was impressive, there was very little bruised meat outside of the direct bullet path.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
WyoCoyoteHunter, I have used a .375 exclusively since 1982. A factory Win. Model 70 H&H until 1989 when I had a semi-custom .375 AI built on a Win. Model 70 action. I use it for all of my big game hunting even use it occasionally for prairie dogs or coyotes. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have been looking for a 375 Ruger for my local pig hunting just because! No plans to hunt out of the CONUS but I like big bores and seem to shoot them better...

Ted
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by old_willys
I have been looking for a 375 Ruger for my local pig hunting just because! No plans to hunt out of the CONUS but I like big bores and seem to shoot them better...
I got the 375 Ruger Guide Gun and love it. It is well balanced and a pleasure to shoot. It would put the hammer down on those pig for sure.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm picking up a 375 guide gun.... when I find one.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Short Answer: Everything.

I have the H&H, the Ruger, and the 375 Weatherby. All can be used on simply everything. Add the 378 as well. If this caliber has limits in my hunting I have not reached them. Still, someday want to find a nice Marlin in 375 Winchester just because...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a Whitworth 375 H&H and have shot several elk with it, have killed one Bison with it, and have lent it to my hunting partner and he killed a couple of elk with it. I also shot a coyote at about 225 yards with it. Don't need that much power, but why would anyone not want a 375, they're great.

Bart

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
My 375 H&H, loaded with 77 grains of WW760 under a 270 grain hornady and a 215 federal primer has worked in my sako carbine for decades, when I'm still hunting elk in the thicker timber areas,yes a 2.5x or 4x Leopold scope is my choice ranges seldom exceed 150 yards in fact Id be surprised if the average shot exceeded 100 yards

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not an H&H or a Ruger.............. but I use my .375 Bee for our bigass PA black bears.......... and the little ones, too. Around these parts you never know if the next bear is gonna be 70 pounds or 700.

250 gr. SGK's at 3060 fps work quite smartly on either one.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My H&H has killed muleys, whitetails, antelope, elk and wolf, plus some other random smaller critters.

More of a novelty than anything else, but I like the rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Not an H&H or a Ruger.............. but I use my .375 Bee for our bigass PA black bears.......... and the little ones, too. Around these parts you never know if the next bear is gonna be 70 pounds or 700.

250 gr. SGK's at 3060 fps work quite smartly on either one.

I have a 375 Bee too. Shoots 300g bullets as flat as a 30-06 can shoot 180 grainers and can shoot 375 H&H factory if you want to. Does kick a tad. A nice caliber

Last edited by colorado; 02/09/14.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado

I have a 375 Bee too. Shoots 300g bullets as flat as a 30-06 can shoot 180 grainers and can shoot 375 H&H factory if you want to. Does kick a tad. A nice caliber

They're hard to beat. Yep.

First couple shots I took from mine (8 1/2 lbs scoped & loaded) I had my hands full. But, just like anything else, there's a bit of a learning curve. Now I rather like to shoot it. Even prone if I have to. Don't find it hateful at all. There's a few local bears that would have probably disagreed, though. grin

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My 375 Ruger has only been used in Namibia, but has been carried on a couple dry run elk hunts here in WY

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 340mag
[Linked Image]
My 375 H&H, loaded with 77 grains of WW760 under a 270 grain hornady and a 215 federal primer has worked in my sako carbine for decades, when I'm still hunting elk in the thicker timber areas,yes a 2.5x or 4x Leopold scope is my choice ranges seldom exceed 150 yards in fact Id be surprised if the average shot exceeded 100 yards

That's a Bloody awesome rifle and choice of sights. Very nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
THANK YOU!

its a rifle I saw advertized about 25 to 35 years ago in one of the shotgun news papers and I decided on the spot to order one ,after looking at the pictures, its proven to be, at least for me the near ideal dark timber spot and stalk and still hunting combo, the only thing I needed to do was bed the rifle action into the stock and epoxy in two
6 inch long, parallel 1/4" sections of screw thread rod under the barrel so 3" of each rod section extended into the fore end and back into the main stock in groove I routed into the fore end,this was necessary because recoil from a 375 H&H without that mod allowed the forward wood (separate stock section with joint under front barrel band)to slide forward, once that was done the rifles been very accurate and dependable,for decades and with several elk and a dozen or more mule deer, to its credit.
the bedding mod is not visible and I can,t see why the factory did not make a one piece stock

Last edited by 340mag; 02/11/14.
S
S
Bought my .375H&H to go to Africa. Now I have used it for deer and elk when in bear country. I've even shot a bunny rabbit with it at camp to put in the stew pot. Fun to shoot and no I don't feel over gunned for rabbit, he was just undersized for the bullet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's my favorite cartridge; throughout my life I have had many rifles chambered for it. Though I occasionally use it for deer, it's my elk and everything Alaska rifle.

NRA Benefactor member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't know, but everyone wants one. Late '70s and '80s, I did the gun show thing. Bought and sold guns and knives to pay college expenses for my trio of young ladies.

I never understood why, but I never took a .375 or a .458 to a show that did not sell. I think it is to do with macho man. Most of us have at least a mild case. I only recall selling one to a guy that was actually headed to Africa. He was already booked and was willing to give asking price for a pre-64.

I did get busted by a friendly LGS who had sold me lots of them at nice prices. He came to a show one Sunday afternoon and saw me sell a pre64 M70 at 500 over what I had given him a couple of weeks prior. Prices at his shop went up. Good while it lasted.

I shot only two while I had them. A 70 as above and a Browning Safari (long extractor) that I was considering keeping. I had no trouble grouping both well on paper, but that is way more recoil than I cared to tolerate for a deer, even from a standing bench. Decided that if Africa or Kodak came my way, I would buy one, then sell it upon return.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A bit off topic, but I have to commend jeffdwhite on everything other than his choice of caliber.

I also hunt from a well appointed ATV. Go to a good area, sit in a padded chair placed in a good brush hide (considering a pop up blind for warmth). I have winch, extra cable and rope, even a pulley for hanging deer without heavy lifting. If I can't get to the deer with my machine-rare-that is what sons-in-law are for
( other than siring grandchildren). I always have ice water and coffee, lunch, and usually fresh fruit on board.

Us old farts, do not want to make too much work while having fun.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I carried mine deer hunting a bit this year. Didn't get one with it though. I got a deer with his younger, slimmer sibling.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jt402
I think it is to do with macho man. Most of us have at least a mild case.

Jack

Jack,
While I respect your view, I am one that did not base my purchase of a 375H&H on Macho Manisum! It was based on fact & fiction. I had read about this wonderful cartridge while I was just a very young lad. Not even old enough to hunt in my home state. I read a book called Death in the Long Grass and Big Game and Big Game Rifles. I was hooked on the idea of the perfect all around 375H&H. I actually did not get a 375H&H until I was 37 after hunting elk with a 7mmRM and did not like the results. I read a lot about elk hunting cartridges and there was a toss up between the 338WM & a 375H&H. Boddington, O'Connor, Keith, Capstick, Taylor, Sitton, Aagaard, Spomar, Truesdell, Simpson, & others consider the the 375H&H THE all around choice for hunting the world. Which I had dreams (Fantasies) of doing such a thing. So for me the 375H&H was a sensible choice over the 338WM.

Heck if they can use it in Africa from everything from Dik-Diks to Elephant it should be capable here in the US for everything also. I am also a firm believer in the one rifle theory. Learn it, shoot it, and you'll be better than most that shoot a bunch of different rifles. I know my 375H&H inside and out, handle it very well, and I shoot it very well.

Could you kill everything in the US with something smaller...like a 223AI...Probably? But you can't find that ammo almost anywhere. Boddington actually wrote if he could only have two rifles, he would choose a 30/06 & a 375H&H. If he could only have one it would be the 375H&H.

Now here comes the anti-macoism...you don't need to load it to warp speeds for it to perform. Reduced loads are very accurate and easy to shoot. But if you need the power it is there. You can't do that with most other cartridges, like the 223AI.

I guess if I was more of a American cartridge history buff I might be hunting a 45-70 or maybe a 40-90 or some other sort of old black powder gun. Or if I just hunted deer maybe a 30-30 lever gun. For my hunting a 375H&H & Recurve bow seems to be just about right for everything.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I killed a deer or two and even a turkey with my Whitworth

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee461/6thtexas/turkey_zpsf2f02ea0.jpg

Last edited by 3040Krag; 03/26/14.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got a turkey and a crow with mine

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Rockchuck... A 300 gr Sierra works real well... grin

It's also done a fine job on bear. I've carried it for elk & mule deer, but have yet to take a shot with it at those animals.
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Beautiful bear!!!! The #1 is sharp also..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks. I am pleased with both the bear and the rifle. Bear was taken with a single 260 gr Nosler Accubond at a tad over 300 yards.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
With a Remington .375 H&H "Classic" and a 300gr Hornady BTSP.

[Linked Image]

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pop cans and squirrels..

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm bout 60 yrs and never needed one but time and curiosity changes perspective. Have a pre-64 and took off a .300 HH AI barrel and put on a .375 HH 21" take off with an NECG barrel band front for cheap. Now mounted with a Vari-III 1.5x5 and them lighweight Talley base/ring setup....sure is a nice "weighty" rifle. Have yet to blood the thing but trust soon I will....Brooks Range country allows for that. Have SAF 300's loaded.

Last edited by Chandalar Jack; 06/30/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I used my H&H for every thing. Took deer & antelope with it. First comfirmed kill was a prairie dog @ about 60 yards. Never did get an elk with mine but did get a calf elk with my brother's H&H

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
wondered what do you guys use your .375 for here in the U.S.?? I can see a use in Alaska for big bear, but here it would just be because we like the caliber.. ??? What do you use this old caliber for??

[Linked Image]

Mine is a Sako AV, I've mainly used it for doubles and triples on hogs. Try to line 'em up and see how many one can perforate with one shot. By time you get back on target, them that ain't dead or squirmin' have skeeeeeedaddled before the trigger can be squeezed again.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/23/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Even with the "exposed hammer" deal, it still gives you some pretty good options. Lots of 45/70s.

Here is my "primitive" weapon, a BPCR in .45-70, shooting a 250 gr. Barnes TSX at 2,550 fps with Vv-120, actually a Barnes 1895 Marlin load. The high wall design is a heap stronger than the 1895.

The VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS is set up for this load and I can put them on a pie plate all day long at 300 yds.

Last deer was hit in the chest, fire hosed blood for 20 yds. The bullet took out the top of the heart and blew a huge exit hole. So those monometals must be expanding pretty well...

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Elk - deer - antelope -head shots on little stuff like squirrel.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My 21" SS M-70 Classic NH .375 H&H with Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 in Talley QD's and NECG irons. Trimming the barrel from 24" to 21" helped balance and handling. The New Haven trigger is adjusted to a clean 3#'s. I bought it used on the Fire Classifieds and then fixed it up.

Gun shoots great and to me is a tough, moderate priced .375 H&H, about as solid and functional a gun as one would want. This one should be near indestructible in Alaska or where ever. It's not that pretty, but a sturdy tool, ready for harsh conditions and hard use.

I also have an M-8 3X Leupold with #4 German reticle in Talley QD's set up as a spare glass.

I'd like to try this one on hogs and whitetails with a 270 gr. Speer.

DF

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/23/14.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice DF. I keep my eyes open for those Classic SS 375's.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
They're a bit barrel heavy, as Winchester (NH) used the same contour for their .416's and .458's. And, those had a lot more metal removed due to larger bore diameter. And these W/W barrels are way too good to discard.

So, cutting them to 21" or so seems to be about right. And, with a round like this, you don't lose that much velocity, not enough to worry about, IMHO.

The Tupperware stock seems OK. I jerked the hot glue bedding out, Steel Bedded the lug, drilling around in the stock so the bedding material would self lock. Not much sticks that well to Tupperware.

The Classic stock shape is pretty good, not quite an Echols Legend, but $600 cheaper... whistle

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Spring 2016 this H&H will be chasing brown bear in Alaska. Will be using the 270 gr TSX.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Ed,

I like that one. What's the weight, all up?

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is just like Dirtfarmer's but with an Echols stock.

[Linked Image]

Chris
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a beauty..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Definitely nicer than the Tupperware.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here's my .375 Ruger Alaskan in a McMillan MKII Classic and a VX3 2.5-8x36. It will be loaded with 250gr TTSX for Northern BC moose this fall.

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It goes 8 3/4# given the big azz action (5 down) and fat azz barrel. This will be new for me as I am a "lightweighter" hunter. I had the barrel cut from 25" to the 'fire requisite 23" and the stock (refinished ala karnis) drilled in the butt. grin It goes Edge weight... literally. Forward weight suits my preference of a muzzle heavy piece, rifle or handgun. I will send it back to Carlos for another sealing and be good to go. Can't see doing traditional Alaska brown bear without a wood stocked 375, something I dreamed of when I graduated college in 1985.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sounds like you've thought it through, even down to the Kosher 23" barrel... cool

For a big gun, that's a good weight, IMO.

CZ's are generally good shooters and that one should be no exception.

And, Karnis is da man... grin

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BCSteve
Here's my .375 Ruger Alaskan in a McMillan MKII Classic and a VX3 2.5-8x36. It will be loaded with 250gr TTSX for Northern BC moose this fall.

[Linked Image]

Looks good.

I just got a box of 250 gr. TTSX bullets. What's your experience with them, groups, best load, etc...?

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dirtfarmer,
I just worked up a load for my Ruger African .375, using the Barnes TTSX 250 gr. bullet. With 83.0 gr. of H414, it gets 2880 fps MV, in 80 degree temps, with no signs of pressure. This load goes with me to Africa next month, for a lot of different stuff. Accuracy is very good- last three groups at 100 yd. went .8" to .9".
Here's pics of my African, in its McWoody stock.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for the load.

I do like those McWoody stocks...

DF

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Haven't killed anything yet but...hoglets on the horizon.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCSteve

[Linked Image]

I like that a lot...kind of what I was going for on mine.

Chris
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264

Hopefully we will cure that next trip.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Dirtfarmer,
I just worked up a load for my Ruger African .375, using the Barnes TTSX 250 gr. bullet. With 83.0 gr. of H414, it gets 2880 fps MV, in 80 degree temps, with no signs of pressure. This load goes with me to Africa next month, for a lot of different stuff. Accuracy is very good- last three groups at 100 yd. went .8" to .9".
Here's pics of my African, in its McWoody stock.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is a .375 Ruger, correct?

Chris
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That's a beauty..

Thanks...I'm very happy with it.

Chris
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264

Hopefully we will cure that next trip.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

Photos like that make my trigger finger itch...

I don't like hogs, that is until they're in the freezer. Then, I just love them...

DF

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.