Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ctsmith
If they would trash the windage knob and get the ZS shim worked out it'd be all good!

A guy over at Sniper's Hide is selling a kit for a ZS for most of the SWFA SS scopes. The problem with a factory ZS is they can't know your gun or where exactly it'll zero. That plastic shim kit comes with a variety of sizes, you just pick the appropriate pieces and sand to fine tune it once you get your rifle/scope dialed in.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a good job for a 3D printer. I'll have a look when things slow down at work. Easy to print the thickness needed or a shim stack.

Jason

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
TAK, I bought the 3-9X42 on sale black Friday. I'm looking at the 3-15 next.

FWIW, I just sold my 3-15. It was just too much scope for hunting and not enough for tactical comps. I now am rocking matching 3-9's on my hunting rifles and am much happier.

For my comp gun I am going to go to either a SWFA 5-20 or a Bushy 3.5-21 G2DMR. The 3-15 seems to be tweener that I can't find the right use for. It is a shame because I really liked the 3-15 package.

As always, YMMV.

J.A.F.O.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the 42mm part vs. a 50mm on most other tacti-cool scopes, but you're right... different needs and wants.

Mentioned this on another thread but once I install a rail, low rings, and 50mm I have needed a kydex taco in the past. A 42mm with low mounts sans rail lets me avoid the taco, but might not be suitable for the same application as the railed 50mm. A 42mm on a rail usually isn't any better than a 50mm anyway since both have good clearance with the rings stacked on the rail.

I haven't always been able to get the 50mm as low, even without the rail. So yeah, mebbe the 3-15x is a tweener. Good for applications where you can run it low.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/11/14. Reason: typos, connection problems
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'ology,

The PMTJ on the CZ's is a better route than the yodave.

Anywhoo...I'm 'bout 3500rds into Fixed [bleep] Territory after today and all is well. Got to shake The Hurt Locker out to 1142yds and it stole the show. Purty good day,for seein' what do what in the wind and more importantly why.

Conditions sorta changed.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A coupla more 6x MilQuad's got solded today,for some reason.(grin)

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Form,

Have you run any of the Leupie VX3 much (with the twin bias springs)? Does the two springs tend to fix the problems? In say a 3.5-10?

I have and, no.

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Formidilosus

In practical terms, is there $400 difference in the standard 10X SS and the new 10X SS HD?

It's in the glass. Whether it is worth it or not is up to you. I would not pay the extra for a 10x HD personally. There is no target that the HD would let me see that the standard 10x wouldn't.

Originally Posted by jimmyp

Originally Posted by 4th_point
I think what would be interesting is to learn the reasons WHY the Nightfarces and Super Chickens hold up better than the rest. We know they have heavier tubes, but what spring and erector designs are they using? What else can be done to make a scope tougher?

J

I guess the mystery of "why cannot or will not any other manufacturer build a scope to hold zero like the SWFA, or NF offering remains unanswered? What are they doing that is special I am very interested! Finally if NF put a good AR coatings on the lenses, and used good glass, spent good money keeping the figure of the lenses consistent across the optic they would be 100 % of the way home.

In short- better erector springs and design, better quality control on springs, screws and tubes and better materials in the erector, equals better more reliable and correct adjustments and thicker tubes help keep outside interference from screwing with that.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
an honest question is "how SWFA SS and NF build their variable scope such that they never loses zero, and the clicks are 100% right on".

How is it they do it right but a $3000 S&B or $2500 Zeiss or $fill in the blank Swaro cannot figure it out? Beats the hell out of me.

It's not that they don't know how, it's that hunters don't shoot, and all they care about is bs'ing their buddies with how great the glass is when they gently pull their "serious" hunting rifle out of the padded case that was inside their padded safe. God forgive if their "serious" rifle gets a mark on it....

Originally Posted by IDMilton

For those of hunting the SS scopes, are the turrets getting moved on you when you don't intend them to? I hunted a scope with an exposed elevation turret and hated it. It got moved on my pack, in alders, coming out of the case, etc.

My favorite hunting scopes are the Leupold 3-9, 2.8-8, and 3.5-10. I have been thinking of trying an SS just to see what everyone is talking about. My main concern is what all that weight will do to a hunting rifle that is under 7 naked. Then I worry about the turrets moving, then I worry (considering the SS 3-9 and 3-15) if the FF plane reticle is too small at low power in dim light and if it covers too much of the target at high magnification.

Would someone who has hunted, not just shot at the range, with these scopes mind sharing their thoughts on those issues?

One more thing, the SS are super reliable, so why use the fixed over the 3-9?

Thanks again.

The turrets don't move inadvertently. The reticle is as bold as most duplex's. The reticle covers up the same amount at high power as it does at low power.

I have fixed and variable SS's. They all work.

Originally Posted by MZ5

I have a non-SS scope with a reticle very similar to the mil-quad SWFA uses now. It's NOT a good choice for hunting at lowest magnification in dark/thick conditions unless you turn on the illumination. The reticle is too thin, making it tough to pick up against dark brush/branches/whatever without illumination help. The mil-quad _may_ be a bit better, if the 3 solid bars around the top 3 points of the crosshair are heavy enough.

The mil-quad style of reticle is GREAT for precision/tactical rifle comps and similar situations, which is what it was designed primarily for. I don't like it so much for hunting. Obviously, this is a matter of opinion/preference.

There is no other manufacturers that make a FFP mil reticle like SWFA's Mil quad that I've seen. It's the best FFP reticle I've seen for general hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
looks like it is thick and bold enough for low light work. Would you agree ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Form,
Thanks for answering my questions.
A friend ordered the 3-9 and the 3-15.
I'll go look at his when I can.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RDFinn
looks like it is thick and bold enough for low light work. Would you agree ?

Completely.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

In short- better erector springs and design, better quality control on springs, screws and tubes and better materials in the erector, equals better more reliable and correct adjustments and thicker tubes help keep outside interference from screwing with that.

Formi,

Do you have any details on the actual designs? Gimbal and leaf spring? Or something like Swaro and Simmons use with springs at the end of the erector?

Throw the technical stuff at us if you have it. Would like to hear what you know about the details. We've been speculating that the designs are better, but as of yet nobody has spilled the beans as to what "better" actually means.

Thanks,

Jason

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I will not buy another variable scope ever. I am done with them. Sell variables, replace with fixed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jimmyp,
I'm reading here that a lot of guys are getting away from variables.
I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but would you tell me why you decided to? Formidilosus said that the variable SS work, so, esp. since the are the same weight, (6 vs. 3-9) what is the downside of the variable?
i guess I just need to hunt a fixed and see!

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

There is no other manufacturers that make a FFP mil reticle like SWFA's Mil quad that I've seen.

Look at Weaver's EMDR. It's very similar. Also very useful for hunting toward higher mag, but not so great for the conditions I described at low mag. Certainly as good as a fine to possibly medium crosshair, but those aren't great for hunting under the conditions I described.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
BTDT. It is not designed properly for low powered use.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Nor is it similar...

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nor is it similar...

LOL! Nearly identical in layout and in every subtension/dimension, actually. wink
This does highlight how different people's subjective impressions of objectively-measurable realities can be, though. I'm going to use this exchange (anonymized, of course) in a communication challenges training seminar this afternoon.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MZ5

LOL! Nearly identical in layout and in every subtension/dimension, actually. wink
This does highlight how different people's subjective impressions of objectively-measurable realities can be, though. I'm going to use this exchange (anonymized, of course) in a communication challenges training seminar this afternoon.

Have you ever used a Mil quad reticle?

Hard to imagine someone believing that this-

[Linked Image]

Is nearly identical visually as this-
[Linked Image]

If they've actually used both. So while I agree you should use this exchange in your seminar, maybe instead talk about wrong impressions. Of course if someone had actually spent time with either they would realize that there is quite a bit of difference visually between a hollow post reticle and solid posts, over twice as thick posts, thicker crosshairs, and 4 posts versus 3.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You must be using trick photography.......lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My super chicken 10x42 arrived this afternoon. Still awaiting the CZ in order to get everything mounted. However, a quick finger fondle and gawk through the scope leaves me with a positive first impression.

I'm not a fan of cluttered reticles (dots, hashes, christmas trees, etc.) so I'm still a little hesitant and on the fence on how whether or not I'm likely to warm up to the MRAD. For my intended purpose, should be better than fine once I get past my comfort level and prejudices.

Turrets have positive clicks. Scope appears to be stout. Might be able to pound tent stakes into the ground with it and still keep rocking.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by FOsteology

Might be able to pound tent stakes into the ground with it and still keep rocking.

Only one way to find out...... smile

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.