Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
On the other hand I was very pleased to find out that all the "old stuff" is pretty much useless and the "new stuff" is vastly superior.

Now I am just waiting for the price-fall on the "old stuff".

I keep searching for fantastic deals on "old, out-moded, no-longer-good-for-anything" revolvers, but I must never look in the right places.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I made one customer pretty angry at me when I worked behind the gun counter. He wanted to look at a S&W mountain gun that was in the case, and I lied and told him the gun was on lay away and I couldn't handle it. He asked me if I could get another one, and I told him no, and he probably wouldn't like it anyway because it recoiled too much. He was not happy and he and his wife left the store with him telling his wife what an A hole I was- That was actually what I wanted, because his wife had bought the same gun for him a few days before and had it stashed for a Christmas present. We all had a good laugh about it right after Christmas.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by battue
Dukes on Rt 422 outside of New Castle?

Addition: Just checked GunBroker and it is him. He has made a good living not selling low. You want it let me know. My best hunting Bud lives right down the road and knows him well. Perhaps he can work something out.

I've got 2 Colt Light Rifles in 30-06 now and neither shoots that well; I think I'm off of e Colt Light Rifle kick for no. But, Duke's rifle has been on GunBroker for 5+ years. I am surprised that he's kept his money tied up for so long.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
When it comes to knowledgable salesman I still believe in the adage, "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". Apparently they teach something different in Business school.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe we should be tipping them. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fortunately I've got a few guys at a gun shop I deal with you are pretty dang knowledgeable for their age. I'm 43 and all but one of the guys at this shop are younger than me and shoot A LOT. They have the biggest assortment of shooting toys you could imagine.

I don't know how they have a dime to take home. They are also pretty darn handy as bowhunters too.

As much as anything, they are just nice guys who spend tons of time visiting about hunting, shooting, guns, bows, you name it. It's a fun place to kill a couple of hours.

And they have bent over backward helping me find guns and sell them at very fair prices.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by BravoFoxtrot
I do my best not to talk to gun shop folk unless I absolutely have to.

There's a shop in Emporia where the owner does the same with potential customers.
Can't pull his tubby butt away from his coffee drinkin' buddies at the BS'ers table.

One of the stupidest things I ever heard actually came from a gunsmith.
I had a NM RBH in 45 Colt and asked if he thought it possible to ream the 45 ACP cylinder for 454 Casull.
His reply? Hell, if ya' want a magnum just shoot 44's in it.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I went to look for some bullets for a .243 Win I had and asked the guy behind the counter what they had. He hands me a box 95gr or 107gr SMK (can't remember which). I tell him that my barrel has a slow twist and was looking for a shorter bullet. He looks back on the shelf for a few seconds and says: "No, don't have any shorter, all the ones I have are 6mm". I thanked him and walked away!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was in a shop a few years back and a clerk was showing me a pretty nice Springfield 03 that had just came in for sale. He pointed at the switch on the left side of the reciever and told me that it made the rifle semi auto when it was flipped down.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
When it comes to knowledgable salesman I still believe in the adage, "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". Apparently they teach something different in Business school.

I was at the LGS (actually a department store, GI Joe's) several years ago. Weatherby had just introduced the Ultra Lightweight model.

I was there for spark plugs but since they didn't have what I wanted I decided to look at the guns. What real man leaves the store without looking at the guns, right?

So behind the counter are two identical-looking rifles. The only difference turned out to be the size of the hole in the barrel. One was a .270, priced at $1175. The other was a .30-06, priced at $575. Stainless fluted barrel, blued receiver, gray stock, the works.

I asked to see the .30-06 (because everyone knows that .270s are gay) and the young (and very sure of himself) expert handed it to me. I examined it carefully and asked why the price difference?

That one, he said, pointing to the .270, is the new Weatherby Ultra Lightweight. That one, he said, pointing to the .30-06, is just a Mark V.

They look exactly the same, I replied. Are you sure? Yes, that one is just a Mark V. The other is the new Ultra Lightweight. I'll take it, I said.

He wrote me up and I filled out the form. After passing the background check he passed me off to another clerk to walk me up to the register. The rifle, in the box, still had the price hang tag in the trigger guard. This became important.

Beep, said the scanner, showing $1175. Nope, I said, it's $575. They called a manager, who tried to get me to pay their cost at least. Nope, I said. See the tag? $575.

I started hunting with that rifle exclusively in 2004. If I really thought about it I could remember all the animals I've taken with it. Maybe.

Funny, I don't recall seeing that young man in the store again.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Was in the store the other day, picking up a 98 Mauser action their gunsmiths had welded a new bolt handle on. Walked by the consignment long-gun rack on the way to the cash register and noticed a slim, foreign looking side-by-side shotgun. Put down the action and picked up the shotgun. It looked Germanic, but didn't have any markings on the barrels.

The price was interesting--if the gun was in overall good shape. I'm a regular customer there, so didn't feel shy about taking off the forend and shaking the gun to see if the action was tight. It wasn't, rattling a little, but wasn't super-loose either. Took the barrels off the action and they rung like a gong, indicating the solder between 'em was still good.

Had just gotten the gun back together when a new clerk who I'd never dealt with before (they've gone through a few lately) walked up and said, "That's a nice tight gun," in a little too hearty a voice.

He appeared to be in his late 60's, old enough to know better, but maybe he'd never had the gun apart. I said, "It's a nice LIGHT gun," then put it back in the rack and picked up my action.

"Looks like a nice Swedish 96," he said.

"It's a 98," I said.

"Oh, a small-ring 98," he nodded, smiling.

"No," I said, holding it up a little higher. "It's a large ring."

"Oh, yeah, it is. What're you gonna make it into?"

I smiled. "Dunno yet."

"I just had one made into a .30-.308. A very nice round, doesn't kick much at all."

By that time I didn't even ask what the hell a .30-308 was, so mumbled, "Sounds interesting," and headed toward the cash register.

He was just Interviewing to be a Gun Magazine Writer

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I wasn't going to add anything because everyone seems to have at least one story. However, after a trip to Bass Pro on Sunday, I can't help but add another.

I asked about a red dot scope for a handgun. The clerk told me that they only have red dot scopes for rifles. I asked what the difference was and he replied that the eye relief was different.

I saw several small red dot scopes in the case and mentioned that they look small enough for a handgun. The clerk said let me get our resident expert on red dot scopes. He returned with their expert. He pulled a couple of red dots out of the case, held them up against his eye (as close as you would hold binoculars) and stated "These will never work on a handgun".

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We have a little gun shop in our valley that comes to mind when I read mule deers post.

They fancy themselves as experts in all things "tactical" in spite of not a single one of them having any sort of .mil/LE background to my knowledge.

They are quick to give their steely eyed stare and try to impress with their not so concealed handguns, flashing their iron to doubly impress customers.

I had one go on and on about FN belt fed machine guns ( I did not ask a thing about machine guns or FN) and how they should actually be deployed, as opposed to how the military's better units do so currently. I asked if he was a former armorer or spec Op operator. He informed me in a rather put off and condescending tone that he did not need to be either to know they were doing it wrong (to paraphrase and abbreviate his long winded non sense).

He explained that he had been selling guns for 6.5 years and he knew guys in the military. I asked if he had to take a test to get his ffl (yeah I know it is not nice to subtly mock people, but sometimes it is just too irresistible). He replied that he did not actually have an FFL, just worked in stores where guns were sold.

Somehow he turned the conversation to concealed carry and how he could spot guys who carried guns a mile off. He also could spot cops (who don't know anything about guns) at the same distance.

My partner had walked up and being the polite guy he is, literally laughed in this ninjas face and called him something along the lines of a fuqing maroon.

That of course really got the conversation rolling and our ninja gave us his best "mean mug".

We then proceeded to pick up the shipment of plastic guns that had been ordered for guys to use as BUGs and off duty pieces.

I thanked our genius for his unsolicited advice and we left, barely escaping with our lives.....

That place seems to hire clones of the genius we were subjected to. It is little wonder why I avoid the place like the frigging plague.

This part of the state is in desperate need of an old fashioned gun shop....

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WITUfan
One was explaining to the other that the .30/06 was good for deer but only if you use 150 grain bullets. He went on and on, but before I go out of ear-shot I had been educated that 180 grain bullets out of an '06 would practically blow up a deer. smile

And somehow the bullet weight gets equated to powder weight, and everyone knows 180 grains is definitely more powder than 150 - although even the latter in anything shoulder-fired...yikes! [rolls-eyes icon]

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gun store in Boise with employees that can be similar. Some clerks are okay but some will glare at you and try to visually intimidate you the minute you walk in like you both owe them money and just insulted their wife/sister/mother all together.

It's a shame I don't go there as they have a huge inventory even if the prices aren't the greatest. But the owner flat out lied to me as he tried to cheat me out of a set of Ruger scope rings - said they were sold separately when Ruger had been including them free for years - so I don't go there at all any more.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Gun store in Boise with employees that can be similar. Some clerks are okay but some will glare at you and try to visually intimidate you the minute you walk in like you both owe them money and just insulted their wife/sister/mother all together.

It's a shame I don't go there as they have a huge inventory even if the prices aren't the greatest. But the owner flat out lied to me as he tried to cheat me out of a set of Ruger scope rings - said they were sold separately when Ruger had been including them free for years - so I don't go there at all any more.

Boise Gun co. Or Cliffs Guns?

11b b4.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boise Gun but now that you mention it Cliff lied to me as well about a few bucks on a Lyman sizing die. I don't darken their door either. Amazing, disheartening really, to see how little it takes for people to sell their integrity.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A dickhead named Dick told me the 30-06 is a 30 caliber bullet with 106 grains of powder. He repeated this some weeks later even after being corrected the first time. Dick thinks nothing of anything or anyone but Dick. The old saying around the shop was "Dick Dick before Dick dicks you." He spent more time in the bosses office with the door closed than everyone else did doing real work. He didn't have to pull his weight like everyone else. Couldn't if he had to. I always figured he had something on the boss nobody else knew about.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.