Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Crazy idea, but anybody recycled car battery into bullets?

Take it apart, neutralize, wash it, smelt it and cast?

I was in charge of a battery charging facility in the military, we would be always fixing batteries - means I know and seen and used what's inside of one.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The general impression I get from most people, is not to take the chance at dealing with the toxic chemicals that would be associated with trying to remove lead from batteries.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There is H2SO4 in 30% concentration, yes, you should not drink it, but in school we did chemical classes with higher concentration when I was 12 year old. Also it can be easily neutralized using chemicals available in every kitchen.

Led is indeed poisonous, but if you cast bullets, you know it will not kill you on touch.

In the military we would take batteries apart and exchange led plates for old plates an daily bases.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know it can be done as I've purchased lead from some battery recycling facilities in the past but as far as the individual is concerned I think there are better,easier and safer ways of procuring shooting lead.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Seems like there is more to it than lead:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...battery-scrap-to-lead-ingots-for-bullets

This is old tractor battery, not one of the new things, I will evaluate the LEO first smile

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not worth the trouble. Others have tried and the end result is less than a couple of pounds of lead and the risk of a multitude of toxic fumes rising into your face. Fixing batteries is different than heating the contents of the innards up to 700 degrees fahrenheit.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have heard enough plausible warnings from knowledgeable people over the years to not want to do it. Why risk injury/death for just a couple pounds of lead. Just go to the scrap yard and buy a couple pounds.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't do it.

Once upon a time it was relatively safe and easy and common. I've used lead from only 1 battery though sometime in the 1960's.

The acid is not the issue.

The introduction of maintenance free later more or less sealed batteries included changes in the lead alloy. It's not safe and it doesn't give much lead after jumping through hoops to do it safely. Currently used batteries typically have some turn in value some have a recycling fee built in to new battery sales and other such that will allow buying as much good alloy as junking out the battery will ever produce.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to sources such as Lyman, batteries might contain alloys including very toxic metals like cadmium. Aside from not knowing what you're alloying with otherwise perfectly good billet casting metal, I don't believe the health risks of unknown metals makes it worthwhile.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not worth it for no more lead than you get.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Most are alloyed with calcium to retard the discharge rate.

Melted down with moisture or high humidity it can produce some type of gas that in certain ppm can kill you.

Plus, it also creates another intermetallic compound that leaves a frothy, purple residue and alters the other metal compounds.

In other words, its a dangerous contamination of anything its allowed to alloy with for the home caster.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Try asking at the recycling center where you take scrap metals. they will often sell you scrap lead.
I run ads in the local papers and radio free venues. I've already more than I'll likely use on my own.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The terminals are the only salvageable part...pretty much pure lead though.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
When I was a kid we would run over the old tractor batteries whit a tractor let the acid soak into the ground pick the lead out and melt it in a cast iron frying pan with dads cutting torch. In the shop without ventilation of corse. Then we moulded them into sinkers.
I think the battery lead would be way to soft for bullets. But great for muzzleloader.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruined a good pair of 501's doing this way back when, got enough lead for about 5 bullets (darn little lead in a battery other than the terminals). Then read that low maintenance batteries have cadmium or some such highly toxic element, concluded that it wasn't even close to worth the effort.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Ruined a good pair of 501's doing this way back when, got enough lead for about 5 bullets (darn little lead in a battery other than the terminals). Then read that low maintenance batteries have cadmium or some such highly toxic element, concluded that it wasn't even close to worth the effort.

Its calcium, but all very true.

Old school batteries were fine.

poison fumes / extreme poison fumes , dont take the chance with yourself or your loved ones , the terminals are lead and safe but no plates there are a few toxins i cant remember the names

Last edited by badbob; 04/01/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How to get lead from batteries:

step 1: Sell batteries to scrap dealer.

step 2: With proceeds from step 1, purchase lead from scrap dealer.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Little Willie was a chemist.
Little Willie is no more.
What he thought was H2O
Was really H2SO4.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I melted down an old battery many years ago, and got more smoke than lead.
I'm in no mood to do it again.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,010
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.