Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was given a bleached antler chandelier and restored the color using spray can Minwax. Finished out nice.

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
+1 on the Briwax. Works like a charm.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use Borax to clean and de-oder. Should work in the dishwasher too but haven't tried it. Kills mildew and algae too.

If stained or bloody washing soda will take it out but may make them whiter. Use both for European mounts to help keep the skull from yellowing.

Potasium Permangnate does a nice job and you control the tone by using several diluted applications then use a Scotch bright pad to take it off the points or areas you want lighter.

Iodine will work but is yellower, good for knife handles.

The wax stains should work well over the PP for more color. Or shoe polish. Wood stains are better for the putty or plastic wood filled areas.

Haven't found anything ideal to put over the antlers. Really thinned down Tung oil is the best so far. Do this before waxing.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I realize that this thread has been dead a long time but will share anyway. Used coffee grounds are available in most homes but if you're without ask a neighbor. Anyway, take
the damp used coffee grounds and rub the antlers starting at the bases and work your way out. Do not disturb until the other antler has had the grounds rubbed on. You can usually go back k to the first antler and wipe it off with a clean cotton cloth. It is not necessary to use a lot of pressure to wipe them off; you want the "stain" to be darker in the crevices anyhow. You will probably need an old toothbrush to get the grounds out from the roughest part near the bases. If they come out too darkly then some fine steel wool can be used to lighten things up. If you want darker then simply apply another coat. When the antlers are completely dry you can use a matte finish aerosol sealer and make the old bucks memory come to life again. Take them to the camp or the office of wherever people can see them.(My wife calls our great room the "Robinson Wildlife Museum" so another rack doesn't bother her.) When someone notices them, or if you have to point them out, you get to tell the story of how you took that buck again!

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Cool way to make them nicer looking

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wrapids
This starts off a bit off topic, but it comes together. I have a new European mount with antlers that smell like crap. This may be due to the deer feeding regularly in a field that is used by cattle - I suspect he may have bedded with his antlers in manure. I already washed them down with oil soap, the odor is reduced, but still definitely there.

SO, what to do? Any ideas how to get rid of the smell? Maybe peroxide?

Anyhow, I suspect the "cure" may result in decolorized antlers, and need wood stain or such down the line.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wrote at length about this very subject 5 years ago.

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/207/oh-bleached-antlers

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This rack was nailed to a horizontal pole above a corral entrance and beached out. Wiped on some Ace Hardware walnut stain. Easy-Peasey.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've used minwax golden oak to stain the antlers then used their red mahogany stain with a q-tip to color the bases. A little rubbing and blending later, those antlers look very similar to the ones that the taxidermist took care of.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by roundoak

Walnut stain and boiled linseed oil.
]

I've never done it, but while reading the thread I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 204guy, 33 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.