Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For my May 2014 to South Africa, is a short term membership with Global Rescue advisable?

https://www.globalrescue.com/about.cfm

Kind of comforting that they will come get you anywhere anytime if something should go wrong.

Medical for the wife and I ain't too bad, about the price of an impala. Throw in the insurrection insurance, and it gets a little pricey. I think if I was in Cameroon, CAR or Zim, I would for sure get that insurance. RSA?

But as I type this, I recall that last year most people thought Egypt was safe until the riots began and then the lucky people were able to call 1-800-Global Rescue and were evacuated promptly. Could be worth it, just in case the country falls apart because Mandela has died.

Or should I just get international health insurance?

First time I have ever done this, and I aim to have no regrets.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the country was to fall apart because Mandela died then we would have had trouble by now. Fact of the matter is people have moved on and the politicians will try and milk the Mandela death when elections come up some time.

If the resue thing is not going to break the bank then get it just because it's going to make you feel better. I have never had reason to use them but then again I pay my personal insurance premiums monthly.

Last edited by PieterKriel; 01/20/14.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You might want to consider Medjet Assist. The medical facilities in RSA have a pretty good reputation. But, if you have a serious accident like a heart attack, broken leg etc and just need medical evacuation back the the US after being stabilized in a RSA hospital, Medjet might be the way to go.

I've been getting an annual Medjet policy every year for the past 7 years. It is also valid in the US if you are more than 500 miles away from "home". My wife and I travel a lot but not into places that might require an "armed" extraction.

Edited to add: Just realized you are from Canada, but I think Medjet works for MEDEVAC back to there also.

Last edited by M3taco; 01/21/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I subscribed to Medjet on my first two trips. After reading this post and several others like it, I switched to Global Rescue and have used them on my last two trips.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I had a policy with Global Rescue last May for trip to South Africa and will have one this summer as well. Took awhile for me to decide which company to use and the AR thread made the difference. Would not go that far without it. I've been in a foreign company at the mercy of "social medicine" and without an advocate you are screwed. Fortunately for me my wife was with me and between her and my company medical people I got home ok. If I had been alone I don't think I would be here typing this.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When you say used them. Do you mean you just had coverage or did you have an emergency you had to use them to get out of the situation? Has anyone you know of that have used them to get medvac out of the bush to Medical care? How did that work out for them?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
MedJet is available through American Express with their Platinum Card. We also get Global Rescue as in my view they are a bit more "tactical" than GR and that is a plus if one is deep in the bush.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking that the medical evac is worth purchasing, but what about the insurrection evac? RSA is about as stable as anything in Africa. I don't mind $399-400 for medical for the wife and I, but $800 for medical and insurrection is maybe more than I want to pay.

Do you buy the insurrection insurance from Global Rescue.

Last edited by AB2506; 01/21/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry WildWest. I meant I had the coverage. Thank God I've never had to use either provider.

Mike

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks Bow
Has any one used them for medvac? JorgeI you seem to be one that has experience in the African bush. Do you knoe anyone that have used Global Rescue?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are many here with vastly much more experience than I. There have been several threads here on the subject, but may I suggest this: http://www.huntingreport.com/temp_traveling_sportsmans_nightmare.cfm

I believe you will be fine with GR in RSA.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the link. Was a good read. Sure will be cheap to buy the Global Rescue insurance, if nothing but for peace of mind.

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WildWest
Thanks for the link. Was a good read. Sure will be cheap to buy the Global Rescue insurance, if nothing but for peace of mind.

I think the Medical is an easy decision. Not sure about the rest. RSA is pretty stable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There seems to be some confusion here. Global Rescue/MedJet is evacuation insurance, not medical insurance.

It is likely not to be an elephant charge that gets you hurt. Automobile accidents are the #1 cause of tourist injuries. Think about flying down a dirt road on the back of a Land Cruiser in Africa! OHSHA is not looking out for you in the bush.

A friend of mine was on business in Scotland and took a tumble down a flight of stairs. Two shattered knees. His company had evacuation insurance and he flew home in an air ambulance for surgery.

I use Global Rescue. I do not know if it is still an issue, but a number of years ago MedJet would only pick you up from the nearest airport. GR will extract you from the bush.

405wcf

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No confusion on my part.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The firm I work for uses Global Rescue as we do work in a lot of places that don't have the best reputation for medical facilities. Nobody has needed it yet, but it is very nice to have in our pocket should the "need" ever come up.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
So is there a medical insurance that works world wide? If you do get hurt in Africa and go to a hospital but do not need to be E-vac to US?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I googled trip ins and there are lots of companys and lots of plans for international travel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my last trip to Zim in 2012 I had a policy through Travel Guard. Policy cost was $171.00 and covered the following.

Accident and Sickness Medical Expenses: $25,000.00

Accidental Death/Dismemberment: $10,000.00

Emergency Medical: $500,000.00

Trip Cancellation: 100% Trip Cost

Mike

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the info. Seems like a good rate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 73 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.