24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hey all, I am brand new to the forums and was sent here on recommendation by a hunting partner for equipment reviews. I have done a lot of research on top-end boots (Lowa, Hanwag, Kenetrek) but all are out of what I am willing to spend. What can you tell me about Zamberlan? They seem to be of equal quality. Also, has anyone used the newly released Danner Full Curl GTX boots. I have used Danners for over 10 years and love them. My budget is $300.00.

Thanks and I look forward to all your replies.

"Failure to plan on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine."
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cabelas Alaskan Hunter by Meindel, I paid $289 for mine 5 years ago and they are still going strong, they are $339 right now with a $20 off coupon you are pretty close. I've had Danners and wouldn't give you a dime for them!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The only danner boot I would consider is the elk hunter that is sold exclusively by cabela's. The first pair I had lasted 15 yrs. I'm on my second pair, I think they are around 325.00. I know of about 6 people that I have recommended them to and they tried them and love them

OP Offline
I have a pair of Elk Hunters now , GTX w/1000grams of Thinsulate Insulation and have about 10 miles on them but they are not very comfortable.

GSP814 Thanks for the tidbit, I have read reviews of those too and are a top option.

"Failure to plan on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine."
J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have used many boots over many years and also have done a lot of mountaineering and backpacking. For mtn hunting, I really like the meindl denali- the aren't insulated. Mine are going on 7 yrs. They do need better insoles, i use superfeet.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hanwag Alaska or Lowa Tibet for me, and I would be ashamed to admit how much I have spent on boots over the years.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like hanwag and kenetrek, get good boots that fit great, save more on some other piece of equipment, don't cut corners on your boots

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've gone to all leather goretex boots now from Cabelas, Basspro, etc but like your Elk hunters they are slow to break in and 10 miles doesn't usually do it. I start about 6 months before wearing them around the house and then working in the yard, then short hunts until they are broken in. Usually they aren't perfect until the 2nd season. My experience with lighter weight and cordura boots has been that they leak pretty quickly while the leather boots last. The guys I know who use Danners for elk hunting have no complaints and that includes several guys 20 years younger than me who will put in almost double the miles I will in a week.

Chasing elk I will typically drag my pudgy over 50 carcass over 6-10 miles in a day starting with a 1,000 foot climb and hopefully ending with an 80 + lb. pack coming out. I like a little stiffer boot with 800 grams of insulation for the 5 degree days. I have found that gaiters are helpful in the snow even with waterproof boots.

I'd like to give you opinions on the Kenetreks and similar but they are a little more than I am willing to spend. Getting to that last 1 or 2% of top gear in optics, rifles, packs, boots or almost anything is more cost than benefit usually. I like bang for the buck - if money is no object get the very best - particularly in durable gear like rifles and optics. In your shoes or boots I'd stick with Danners you already know work for you and go with at least 600 grams or higher.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=anie get good boots that fit great, save more on some other piece of equipment, don't cut corners on your boots [/quote]

That is good advice right there. You'll be using your boots more than anything else.

I like Kenetrek, Schnee and Danner. Purchase something that allows you to adjust the fit around your ankle and laces almost to the toe of the boot rather than stopping half-way. I will allow you to "adjust" the boots to your feet.

I've almost purchased a set of the Cabela Alaskan Hunters, they get good reviews, but I've just never dropped the money on them.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought the Kenetreks.

I bought them for $279.

It took time.

I was patient.

I have been rewarded.

Best boots I've ever had.

I keep hearing the Mendl's are great also.

Peace.

Dick

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought Danner Elk hunters MANY years ago before Goretex came out. They were sturdy, to say the least. However, at that time, they were sewn with a seam up the back of the heel, from top to bottom. That dang seam ate up socks and caused blisters like crazy. I took them to a shoe shop and had them sew a piece of thin leather over the seam and that helped a lot. Of course you'd ruin Goretex that way. These weren't waterproof at all, at least no more than any leather boot of the time. They lasted through 2 pairs of soles and really weren't in that bad of shape when Goretex hit the market.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nothing but tennis shoes here until it snows then it's Sorrels..

Jayco

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I bought Danner Elk hunters MANY years ago before Goretex came out. They were sturdy, to say the least. However, at that time, they were sewn with a seam up the back of the heel, from top to bottom. That dang seam ate up socks and caused blisters like crazy. I took them to a shoe shop and had them sew a piece of thin leather over the seam and that helped a lot. Of course you'd ruin Goretex that way. These weren't waterproof at all, at least no more than any leather boot of the time. They lasted through 2 pairs of soles and really weren't in that bad of shape when Goretex hit the market.

I've got a couple pairs of Danner Pronghorns and have the same complaint about the vertical seam in the lining next to your heel, what a piss poor design. I finally sprung for a pair of the Meindl Denali boots from Cabela's last year, by far the best boots I've ever owned. I like them with good socks down to around 20F or so, when it gets close to 0F I want a bit of insulation. My next pair of boots will be another pair of Meindl's.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've had my meindl perfekt hunters for 8 years and have been very happy with them. The other boots I would look at are lowa tibets. On shoebuy.com you can save 25% til the 23 of Jan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you get make sure you can walk up or down hill or over rough terrain all day, day after day, and be comfortable, good soles, and good support.

I have shot critters in everything from low top $20 Big Five tennis shoes to hand made $400 + boots, but if your gonna be wearing them in the woods, away from home, all day every day, you need support and comfort.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sawzall the elk hunters I believe you have are not the same as the ones I'm talking about. They are only sold by cabela's and are only offered in 400 grams of insulation or uninsulated. There was another elk hunter sold on the open market and I know they weren't the same. Yes they are a little stiff but my feet have never been wet in them and mine are the 400 gram insulation.I have hunted in them in -20 deg. but I hunt moving around they would not be that that good for stand hunting. I believe the key is don't let you feet sweat not only makes your feet cold but softens your skin and contributes to blisters, a good pair of wicking socks does wonders. Just my 2 cents worth

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can find some deals on decent boots at Sierra Trading Post online.

Sierra Trading Post

The Asolo Sasslongs are worth a look.

Last edited by brymoore; 01/23/14.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I hunt in the same boots I wear all day every day. In early 2012 I purchased a pair of Cabela's Meindel 5 inch light hikers. When elk season came, they got me through five days of horseback riding and hiking in thirteen inches of snow with temps ranging from near 0 to daytime highs in the low twenties.

They lasted about twenty months of 24/7 wear. This last summer I upgraded to the Cabela's Meindl 7 inch Perfekt Hiker. I have worn them about six months at work, play, and farm chores. They have excellent grip and traction on mud, snow, and ice. The waterproofing is excellent. I spent a couple hours last week at work in three inches of ice water clearing frozen roof drains. The boots did not leak a single drop of water and my feet stayed reasonably warm with a pair of standard boot socks.

The Perfect Hiker has a much thicker sole and is constructed of heavier material than was the Light Hiker. I find the arch support to be quite good and the boots are very comfortable after being broke in.

The Perfect Hiker actually took about two weeks of 16 hours daily wear to break in for me. I would not take a new pair on a hunt without wearing them continuously for a couple weeks.

I highly recommend the Perfekt Hiker. Mine show very few signs of wear. I work all day on concrete and the soles are handling it well. I expect to get at least two years of daily use from them.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Idaho the Meindl boots are the best of that type I have ever used, but both of mine are the heavier insulated versions.

Is the Perfekt Hiker comfortable in the warmer temps of early fall?

Don't seem to need much insulation then in Wyoming, but I have never had the Perfekt hiker.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd be looking at Asolo boots from Sierra Trading Post.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.