Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Idaho the Meindl boots are the best of that type I have ever used, but both of mine are the heavier insulated versions.

Is the Perfekt Hiker comfortable in the warmer temps of early fall?

Don't seem to need much insulation then in Wyoming, but I have never had the Perfekt hiker.

Absolutely! I was wearing them in early Sept at work with ambient temps around 95 degrees. And I have worn them all through the winter as the temps have ranged from 12 degrees to 30 degrees inside our warehouse since November fifteen.

I wear a little heavier socks in the cold, and my feet stay comfortable on the hyster. The Goretex breathes well enough that I have not had wet socks during the hot weather.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have redwing/irish setter and they have been good last 3 years. I would suggest for $300 get 2 pair. one 200 gram and one 800 or 1000 gram. nothing wrong with having 2 sets of boots elk hunting. it could be 70 during day for deer and teens in elk season. it would suck to be cold or too hot and sweaty. thats what I have, 2 boots, Plus you'll have a back up. I also put on snoseal and have gators.

Last edited by Dre; 01/24/14.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had Meindl's but was not overly impressed with them. For my next boots I am considering either the Lower Uplander GTX or the new Lowa Hunter Extremes

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another option is to watch Ebay. Search for Kenetrek, the company sells used boots on there rated 90% condition or better. They go for substantially less than new. Last pair I bid on went for $225, and looked pert near new.

For a pac/cold weather boot, I love my Hoffman Outback pacs.

Isaiah 6:8

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought the Kenetrek Terrane's as I didn't need the Mountain Extreme's on Camofire for a little over $200 and they threw in a set of their gaitors. So far they've been excellent boots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I can understand some of these guys not having the best experience with Danners. Some of their boots don't fit me well either or are comfortable. But they do make a lot of different styles of boots and I can always find a boot that fits my feet well and are comfortable for long days hiking hills, sitting on a stand, or just sitting around the campfire after a long, cold day. Living close to Danner is nice as I can go over to the factory and try on just about any boot they make and get a great deal on "seconds" if they have some in stock in my size.

I've tried other boots but nothing fits my feet as well or keeps my feet dry and warm as the Danners to this point.

One note of caution I found out the hard way- when trying on boots that have the goretex liner like Danners and several other boots, wear the same weight socks you will be wearing hunting. If you try them on with light socks, and then try to hunt with heavy hiking socks, your feet will be squeezed and you'll have all kinds of problems- mostly from the circulation being cut off to your feet. The goretex liners just don't stretch enough to accommodate thick socks. If you need thick socks, just buy the heavier insulation instead and you'll be good to go, IMHO.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zamberlan????

Are you kidding me???

In any case, I can tell you that you want to be cost-efficient, just because you mentioned the brands you did.

So, I would recommend Meindl boots.

Mav

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Heavy is bad if your in the mountains.

One bigger thing that people often complain about is heavy treads hold mud - so then they go buy a semi-slick bottom boot.

Of course if they walk on snow or wet leaves in the mountains that results a nasty slip and falls with banged up shins. They complain even more then.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zamberlan boots aren't what you want. That's fact.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey Mav, we were having a conversation about a month ago, how about it?

Originally Posted by Maverick940
Not to derail this thread and I'm not going to go on and on about sheep, but in terms of Dall sheep, I'm booked till 2018.

I have one sheep hunt that's still available in 2018 and that hunt is scheduled to occur in late August.

Each year I conduct two Dall sheep hunts and I typically entertain only two sheep hunters. However, in some years I've had as many as three sheep hunters.

I don't run dozens and dozens of hunters. Spring and fall hunts combined and per all the species sought (brown bear, grizzly bear, sheep, moose, mountain goat and black bear) I only allow 12-15 hunters during that seven month time-span.

Originally Posted by smokepole
So what's the name of your outfit?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
From my experience, he doesn't want Danners. I blew through a pair of Cabela's Danner Elk Hunters in a year.

OP Offline
Well wageslave,

I bought the Lowa EVO GTX Hunter Extreme

I bought them for $345.

It took time.

I was patient.

I am waiting to be rewarded....thank you for your advice.

"Failure to plan on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine."
T
T
I just saw this by Sawzall:

"I bought the Lowa EVO GTX Hunter Extreme. I bought them for $345. It took time. I was patient. I am waiting to be rewarded....thank you for your advice."

I wished I had a pair of Lowas but $345 is out of my league. Another reply in this thread said something about Sierra Trading Post having specials, so I checked.

The Lowa Hunter Extreme GTX is being closed out for the new EVO Hunter Extremes. Sierra had the old model discounted to $295.95.

I had an email flyer from Sierra offering 35% off selected merchandise. I applied the keycode for 35% and reduced the price to $192.37, That's in my league, so I bought them.

The Sierra TP flyer suggested i should share the keycode with a friend. So for anyone here who's a friend the keycode is "EB040114B" good thru 3 Apr 14

If you're not my friend than don't use the keycode. If you do, you'll have to answer to Sierra Trading Post. You've been warned.

Because we're here lad. No one else, just us.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
FWIW Sierra has a great return policy. Good to hear you've got it figured out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've worn a pair of the Meindls Light Hikers for about a year. They're not what I would consider for a rough mountain hunt as I want a taller boot for ankle support and to help keep the dirt and stuff out. I bought them to wear on my daily hikes in the hills behind the house, but they were so comfortable that I've instead worn them to the office. I will have another pair if I ever wear these out.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Tommix

The Lowa Hunter Extreme GTX is being closed out for the new EVO Hunter Extremes. Sierra had the old model discounted to $295.95.

I had an email flyer from Sierra offering 35% off selected merchandise. I applied the keycode for 35% and reduced the price to $192.37, That's in my league, so I bought them.

The Sierra TP flyer suggested i should share the keycode with a friend. So for anyone here who's a friend the keycode is "EB040114B" good thru 3 Apr 14

If you're not my friend than don't use the keycode. If you do, you'll have to answer to Sierra Trading Post. You've been warned.

I bought the same boots for the same price and they get here tomorrow.

Kent

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a pair of Crispi Kanada's and I really like them but I think they are around $400

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These really have my attention. Might be my next pair.

http://www.lathropandsons.com/lowa-boots/cevedale-tech-light-hunter-gtx-lowa.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last pair I bought was a pair of the insulated Meindl Perfekt 10 Hunters. Was NOT impressed. Quite stiff sole, and wore a hole in the toe area of the soles after 2 years in Arizona's rocks. Squeaky bastards too.

This year I think I'm going with Danner Pronghorns. They were on sale for $100. Very comfortable. Going to try poly sock liners and wool socks with them. If they last the year, I'm more than happy.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.