Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 120 1 2 3 4 119 120
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks smokepole. What about sugars found in fruit? (oranges and raisins)

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Someone with more knowledge might correct me but I go on the assumption that they're the same as other simple sugars, as far as being good for recovery after a workout.

Otherwise, they're the same as starchy carbs except they're not "empty" nutritionally, they have vitamins, minerals and fiber, which helps slow absorption.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Smokepole,
I agree with many of the points in your lengthy post above. But I still can't get what the "wheat-phobia" going on today is all about. I ain't talking about twinkies and white Wonder bread. I'm talking about shredded wheat cereal, high quality whole wheat breads and other such foods. Brown rice, oatmeal, and beans could also be included but I've never found them too convenient to pack in lunch box. Seems like your weightlifter/bodybuilder friend comfirms that these type carbs are fuel for muscles. I think quality protein in moderate amounts is good-more if you're in a a building mode with your muscles.
I'm sorry, but even someone with as impressive a workout routine as yours and the tenacity to backpack hunt for elk, you just lose me with the eskimo, paleo, etc, etc, diet crap.
Those people were tough sobs to begin with, probably descended from central/northern asian people. They ate what they could find to survive. To survive in the north before the arrival of firearms, snowmobiles, motor boats and such took a tough and tenacious type people. I don't think I could survive on their diet, let alone the harsh environment they lived in. I'm gonna pass on the whale blubber diet.
This and the other thread on fitness are great discussions. You're not gonna get this information on the ATV and 4x4 forums(I do own both, though).
The best to you,
Steve

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Steve: I think the genesis of the paleo diet has to do with the bad things that happened to humans when we went from a hunter-gatherer diet to a grain-based diet with the advent of agriculture. Lower life expectancy, slighter stature, and smaller muscles are documented by anthropologists. Also, there were no overweight cave men, but lots of overweight grain-eaters.

Fast forward to today and with the prevalence of refined sugars and starch in processed food and drinks obesity is epidemic.

Slightly off-topic, but if you frequent Starbucks, next time you're there waiting in line, listen to what people order and compare it to their physique. You won't hear many (if any) skinny people ordering any of the crap with tons of sugar, like a "double mocha frappacino."

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Calvin
Thanks smokepole. What about sugars found in fruit? (oranges and raisins)

Fructose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If anyone cares, my wife stumbled on the JJ Virgin diet, which seems to fall in line with what's written above by Smoke and others, and is intended to address a number of ills beyond weight to include joint pain and inflammation, night sweats (women), and more. Wife has a ground-down worn-out ankle from college shotputting and strict adherence to that diet is like magic. It does allow some quasi-starchy foods in moderation like brown rice and sweet potato, but is otherwise very meat/veg focused. Some interesting emphasis on various fats - canola isn't held in high regard, but coconut, palm and avocado oils are. Palm adds neat flavor and color to pan prepared foods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_in_OR
Smokepole,
I agree with many of the points in your lengthy post above. But I still can't get what the "wheat-phobia" going on today is all about. I ain't talking about twinkies and white Wonder bread. I'm talking about shredded wheat cereal, high quality whole wheat breads and other such foods. Brown rice, oatmeal, and beans could also be included but I've never found them too convenient to pack in lunch box. Seems like your weightlifter/bodybuilder friend comfirms that these type carbs are fuel for muscles. I think quality protein in moderate amounts is good-more if you're in a a building mode with your muscles.
I'm sorry, but even someone with as impressive a workout routine as yours and the tenacity to backpack hunt for elk, you just lose me with the eskimo, paleo, etc, etc, diet crap.
Those people were tough sobs to begin with, probably descended from central/northern asian people. They ate what they could find to survive. To survive in the north before the arrival of firearms, snowmobiles, motor boats and such took a tough and tenacious type people. I don't think I could survive on their diet, let alone the harsh environment they lived in. I'm gonna pass on the whale blubber diet.
This and the other thread on fitness are great discussions. You're not gonna get this information on the ATV and 4x4 forums(I do own both, though).
The best to you,
Steve

From what I've read, oatmeal products are better for you than the equivilent wheat products (all other things being equal) and wholemeal versions of both are better than refined white versions, which has much of the goodness scrubbed out.

I suspect Wheat became popluar not because it was better for us, but because it was either easier to farm and/or provided bigger yields..

Oat products are relatively easy to get these days, with porridge and granola being two breakfast cereals that spring to mind, plus you can get wholemeal bread with a high percentage of oatmeal in it also..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Vek
If anyone cares, my wife stumbled on the JJ Virgin diet...

Thanks I will check into that, I like sweet potatoes in moderation, and reducing inflammation is high on my list too. Good point on the other oils, I've read the same about the tropical oils (and canola), just haven't used much coconut or palm oil. And on that subject, if you eat a lot of dark green salads, and you should, salad dressing becomes important. Next time you're in the grocery store, check out the dressings that have "olive oil" in the name and I guarantee 90% of them will have a different oil in a larger proportion than olive oil, due the its cost.

One brand that I've found that has 100% olive oil is Bragg's. Of course, it's easy to make your own too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Workout 1/24/14

10 burpees every minute on the minute for 20 minutes.

I couldn't keep that pace, but did end up doing 134 burpees.

PS- I phoucing hate burpees

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I best interject before this becomes a Martha Stewart marathon...

Goal: Drop from 225-220. Drink in moderation so my hands don't shake Monday mornings. Get back to squats, cleans, and deadlift and less pushups/pullups/running. Make sure I don't look like a pansy when hunting/backpacking with my son this year.

Monday: 30 burpees w/pullups (not sure what these are actually called.) 1 1/2 run.

Tuesday: Five sets of 10 of clean and jerks. Light weight so I can get back into form. 5 sets of 10 flat bench. Very little/no rest between sets. Planks.

Wednesday: 4 mile run. (On the gay-mill)

Thursday: 50 pullups (not straight but as fast as you can) 5 sets of 10 for deadlifts. 5 sets to failure of dips. 15 minutes bike.

Friday: 4 mile run (outside and I was dying because I have used the treadmill a lot this winter)

Diet: I don't eat schit and I don't like sugar. All my meals are cooked from raw or frozen foods. Probably at about a case of beer for the whole week and maybe a quarter bottle of gin. Which is real good for me. Every Friday I gorge on my favorite pizza because if I can't enjoy my favorite pizza once a week I might as well climb to the top of a mountain and blow my [bleep] head off.

Gonna be a good year.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pointer
Workout 1/24/14

10 burpees every minute on the minute for 20 minutes.

I couldn't keep that pace, but did end up doing 134 burpees.

PS- I phoucing hate burpees

Laughin'...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave

This coming from a guy who no doubt wears purple spandex on the treadmill......

Seriously though, the older you get, the more you have to pay attention to the details, because the harder it is to keep the lbs. off, as Battue noted. And he's the oldest fart on here, so you have to give him his due. I do agree on the pizza though.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole

Seriously though, the older you get, the more you have to pay attention to the details, because the harder it is to keep the lbs. off, as Battue noted. And he's the oldest fart on here, so you have to give him his due. I do agree on the pizza though.

Oh, I know. I'm 36 now and the days of drinking a case of beer and running 5 miles the next morning are gone, gone, gone. grin

But your first post touching on the subject covered everything IMO.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I will say the last two Mondays I had "decreased output" at the gym, after those two Broncos games. I was also trying to keep up with one of my sons during last Sunday's game, he decided we should do a shot of brown lliquor every time the Broncos scored a TD. Breckenridge Bourbon, of course.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Smoke,
I guess my thinking on the ancient diets (for lack of a better term) is that they help people justify eating things they want to but shouldn't. "Hey, I'm gonna try the New Polar Diet, I can eat 90% fat and still brave the arctic winters and kill polar bears with a spear and live a long and healthy life. Since blubber is hard to find, I'll just swing into McDs for lunch. And just so I don't get fat, none of that whole wheat crap for me." You get my drift.
Too much of what people think about nutrition is driven by advertising. High Protein-good, Low Carb-good, Low Fat-good, etc, etc. It's not that simple. I love the big "Fat-Free" label on candy packages like that makes it healthy.
I guess some aspects of the Paleo diet are good, the percentages of protein, fat, and carbs wouldn't work for me. Sure sounds cool though-Paleo Diet-advertising?
Steve

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, if you look at the list of the kinds of foods included (meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts, healthy fats and oils), I can't agree that they help justify eating things you shouldn't. Or maybe I should phrase that in the form of a question and ask, what kinds of things on the list that I posted do you think are things that people shouldn't eat?

Personally, I think more of the opposite is true, as in "I like pizza, pasta, etc. (fill-in-the-blank), and I'm healthy so the paleo diet is BS."

Your example of "low-fat candy" doesn't work because nothing I've read advocates eating candy, and furthermore, the paleo diet is not "low-fat" it just stresses that you should avoid certain kinds of fats. In fact, people I've talked to say you should load up on certain fats with Omega-3's and eat them throughout the day, as mentioned above.

Your McDonald's example is off the mark too. Saturated fat from corn-fed beef, with saturated fat from "processed American Cheese Food Product" topped with condiments loaded with sugar, on a refined white flour bun with a healthy side of white starch fried in un-healthy vegetable oil is nowhere to be found on any suggested diets I've read.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Old farts food theory: Burn 500 extra cals per day from exercise and almost eat like a kid. grin

Last edited by battue; 01/24/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
PS to Steve, I'm not saying this kind of diet is for everybody, and I know there are lots of guys who either carry extra weight or eat whatever and could leave me in the dust. But some guys have the goal to lose weight while building or at least maintaining strength and what I described worked for me. YMMV.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect sugar is my particular downfall, followed by simple carbs like bread, potatoe pasta ect. Switching to unrefined version may help to a degree, but I think I need to cut back on most of these and see what happens..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's been touched on previously, but as you get older the beer and alcohol calories are trash for the most part. I've watched it literally ruin some old Buds in more ways than one.

First, they can't exercise enough to work the cals off, and many get overweight with all of the complications that ensue. Second, heavy long term older beer drinkers are prone to hip problems from it causing the small blood vessels that supply the hip to shut down. Google "avascular necrosis." Third, the sodium content eventually starts working on the BP. Then the medication cycle starts taking it toil. Fourth, I've seen more than a few functional alcoholics. They stay right side up, but the personality and drive changes. I've been there and I can tell you many don't even know what normal is any longer. The physiological changes of moderately excessive long term alcohol consumption has ruined more than one hunters ability to keep going.

Last edited by battue; 01/24/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 120 1 2 3 4 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.