Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Bob,
How gray is your hair? You're pretty smart.

Proverbs 20:29 (NASB)

The glory of young men is their strength,
And the honor of old men is their gray hair.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Bob,
How gray is your hair? You're pretty smart.

Proverbs 20:29 (NASB)

The glory of young men is their strength,
And the honor of old men is their gray hair.

loder: Thanks,I am dark brown on top and gray on the sides,and not really all that smart. smile

But I have shot a pretty fair number of animals with different 140-7mm bullets at different velocities and distances so have some idea of what they will do.

At high impact velocities the bullet will expand more dramatically which means, it will either fragment and the front will disappear,being made of alloy cores and jackets, which is a bit more brittle(the Partition does this at close range and blows the nose clear to the partition)....or if it hangs onto the mushroom,the jacket will peel back along the shank. Either way frontal area will be less resulting in the smaller exit hole. You see this very frequently with a Partition,and I have seen it at close range from a 130 Interlock which was just sheared off at the cannelure.

At distance,as velocity drains,expansion is not so dramatic, the bullet is stressed less,and hangs onto more of its expanded frontal area,but still has enough weight to maintain momentum and (sometimes) punch through.Perfect storm.

There are a million variables because no two shots are always the same but in general that's what I think caused what the poster described. My WAG anyway. eek

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This would explain the interior destruction and the small exit hole. I was never able to reconcile the two together with the 140 Accubond. Nosler ads show the bullet mushrooming and retaining most of it's weight @ 3100+ fps. Result has always been a deer down under 75y. Hard to fault that record. A high shoulder shot might get me the " bang flop". For some reason I am programmed for the heart shot. I spoke to one of the tech guys at Berger a few months ago seeking 280AI load data. I got the impression from this guy that the Berger might be too frangible for a close shot from a high velocity cartridge like the 280Ai.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bonefish
A high shoulder shot might get me the " bang flop". For some reason I am programmed for the heart shot.

I was so programmed. Prior to my first-ever Red Stag hunt I consulted with a premier Stag guide & inquired about the high point shoulder shot. He explained it to me & I decided to do so. I was impressed with the results. At the shot, the Stag stumbled on three legs maybe 15 yards at the most & fell over. When the ranch hands dressed him out, they were so surprised at the terminal destruction they wanted to know what bullet I was shooting. I was shooting a 300 WSM, 165 AB @ 3050 fps.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Calling this halftime at the range. Tried out four charges with the 145 LRX and it likes it hotter. 55.0 gave me .935" outside, better than the first two, but then 55.5 grouped at .648" outside. I'll take that.

Will see if it likes anything else

[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just wasted LRX that group. Went out to 200 yards with a poor rest and shot a poor group, imagine that.

Put my bipod on and tried two 150 ABLR loads thinking why not. At 56gr I got a 1.05" 3-shot at 200 yards with a 6x scope (center to center). Will take it.

I shouldn't have started reloading, can see this is going to be expensive and time consuming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried to tell you to leave that gun stock. i tried to tell you reloading costs more cause you will constantly be dicking around looking for the perfect load and shooting more, cause your ammo doesnt cost as much.

WOJ's never listen. grin

Good to see you got your stuff all set up and running.

Last edited by Hawk_Driver; 08/20/15.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
But everyone knows 270s are gay and don't work on game. Had to switch. Then the Nosler factory ammo sometimes gave me a great group, sometimes opened up. With a custom and the money I spent I better be getting great groups unless I mess it up. Yeah, that's my excuse.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just started getting serious about reloading this year. I still am learning the craft. I have already spent more money on supplies and gear than have on most of my guns. I have replaced every reloading item, other than the press, that came in my Redding Deluxe kit. Aside from being expensive, it is frustrating as hell. There is nothing like loading up 30 test loads and running to the range, only to find that the loads shoot poorly and you just wasted an enormous amount of time and money. Once you buy a custom rifle you are duty bound to find the perfect load. At the end of the day it is an expensive hobby.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Settled on the 145 LRX

[Linked Image]

Same results as the photo a couple posts above (when I don't mess it up)

Made final corrections for zero and finally convinced myself not to get a VX6 2-12 and stay with the FX3 6x42. The extra mag might be good for groups on paper, but the steel coyote at 440 being hit every time with the 6x said I don't give a [bleep] about paper.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
One more time at the range, best group yet. Outside to outside was .469 for a .185" group. Before I hunt it I certainly need to dirty up the barrel with a shot, then call it good. Finally put a couple through a chrono, average of 2970. Slower than expected, but oh well

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
You just need some more trigger time, Taco. That gun is talking to you, saying nice things. You should try building a perfect nest on the bench and analyzing your "follow through." Maybe even some dry firing.
I have found that my rifles like to punish me for not keeping them busy. After a lay off, I really have to get my head in the game again.

Think you're right. Need to slow it down, get set up right, and see what the rifle can do and not what I can do with it.

And as for the BSA comments, I wasn't sure if he was kidding or being an ass. Does he expect people to re-zero every load they're working on? I don't give a damn where they are hitting, I'm trying to find out how they're grouping. And if I had 18 months in the states near a range to get it done, it would have been long ago. But when you're stationed in Germany and doing training missions in various European countries and haven't seen your rifle that entire time...

He was kidding you, notice the smiley face winking at the end of his comments. BSA is a damn good guy, sorry the humor was lost in typing.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Don't think I can learn much more about the rifle at the range, so wanted to step it out a ways and see how it did. Unfortunately I didn't find any place where I could set up a target and some water bottles, but I did find a few rocks to shoot at. Forgot what it was, maybe 470, had an elk vital size rock I was popping every time with the CDS adjustment. Had a smaller one at 595 that I shot high on twice before going down two clicks and was either right on it or right next to it. Either way, would have been vital shot. I think the high shots were from being at 8540' instead of the 8000 my chart was for, plus it was downhill slightly. That's the stuff I want to learn. Was fun

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sweet rig Taco.......really nice. Maybe you could buy a relatively cheap RF like the Leupy 1000i TBR (gives you true ballistic range), takes out all the guessing. Nice shooting too....I really like the CDS.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks, and that's a good suggestion. Have the standard RX1000 right now, but the TBR would be a nice touch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2970 with a 140gr, that is right on the heels of a .270

I would be pizzed.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
2970 with a 145 Barnes. Don't know why they run slower. Have had 160 Abonds at 2930 and 150ttsx at the same?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Lots of proven, accurate loads have been ruined by a chrono.......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Lots of proven, accurate loads have been ruined by a chrono.......

This is true.

Taco, if you are happy with that load, run it.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Although it only chrono'd at 2970 I can't argue this accuracy. Every time under .5" @ 100 unless I knowingly pull one. And with a 6x scope.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,151
Posts18,465,027
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.