Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I know this is old, but I am in the market for a new stock for my P64 338 Win Mag. Looking at the Echols and the McM copy of the wood stock on the rifle right now.

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Echols legend fo' me...were I doing it. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bob, I'm looking at the Legend, McM Pre64 Monte Carlo and the Manners. Does the Legend have the right set up for the Pre64 barrel screw? The McM is pretty much a perfect copy of the wood stock on it now but I would like to buy the one stock, just one time. Any and all Input is really appreciated.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/23/14.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Beretz I am pretty sure the Legend can be set up for the barrel screw but mostly I have had the barrel nut floated and forget it's even there.

I like the Legend because it does a good job of mitigating recoil from the magnums with the high straight comb, and the grip is comfortable. Recent months I have fired them with pre 64's in 300H&H and 375H&H owned by a friend...plus a Classic in 300 Weatherby.

I am not a real fan of the high comb pre 64 stock with magnum calibers....it makes do but is not as good a design as the Legend IMO.

Don't know anything about the Manners.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you for the info Bob. Appreciate it. Scotty

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Echols would be my vote. Never handled one of those until yesterday. I actually like the stock a lot.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I had a Legend on an M-70 in .340 Weatherby.

I much prefer the Hill Country Bridges McMillan. The bridges is essentially the Legend on a diet.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by beretzs
Bob, I'm looking at the Legend, McM Pre64 Monte Carlo and the Manners. Does the Legend have the right set up for the Pre64 barrel screw? The McM is pretty much a perfect copy of the wood stock on it now but I would like to buy the one stock, just one time. Any and all Input is really appreciated.

I'm a couple hours South of NoVa but you're welcome to stop by and shoot a pre-64 300 Win that sits in the McMillan pre-64 Monte Carlo stock. I've never handled the Echols but absolutely love the MC on my rifle.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CFVA

I'm a couple hours South of NoVa but you're welcome to stop by and shoot a pre-64 300 Win that sits in the McMillan pre-64 Monte Carlo stock. I've never handled the Echols but absolutely love the MC on my rifle.

Excellent. Thank you for the invitation. That's the model that would be going back on my rifle should I put a McMillan on it. Any chance you can throw a picture up? Also, did you get pillars or anything different with yours. Also, did you keep the forend screw with yours or float it?

Still need to call and talk them all. Just to get an idea of wait time.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Be glad to, here's my favorite pic of it:

[Linked Image]

It's got pillars, here's a link to the particulars: Link

The only thing I'd change is to get the stock in painted Edge fill and not the swirled design, though it's kind of cool looking. I'd consider dropping down one contour, but with the way this gun shoots I'd probably put together another one just like it.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Excellent. Thank you for the invitation. That's the model that would be going back on my rifle should I put a McMillan on it. Any chance you can throw a picture up? Also, did you get pillars or anything different with yours. Also, did you keep the forend screw with yours or float it?

Still need to call and talk them all. Just to get an idea of wait time.

Oh no, you 2 getting together could only mean trouble laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Be glad to, here's my favorite pic of it:

[Linked Image]

It's got pillars, here's a link to the particulars: Link

The only thing I'd change is to get the stock in painted Edge fill and not the swirled design, though it's kind of cool looking. I'd consider dropping down one contour, but with the way this gun shoots I'd probably put together another one just like it.

Richard, I really like that rifle and stock. Excellent combo right there. My buddy blackdog1 down here had a 300 H&H with the same monte carlo McMillan and it handled great. I know Bobin doesn't like the pre 64 montecarlo design, but it fits me very well. Just goes to show you that everyone is made different. Stock fit is important, but if one likes the original montecarlo wood stock on their pre 64, they will really like the Mcmillan copy.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This nearly 10 year old thread makes me think of and miss my friend Allen Day...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brad, Allen is sorely missed.

bsa that M70 monte carlo is fine for me with cartridges of moderate recoil. I was shooting the McMillan version last week in a 338/06 with no problems and a standard cartridges give no real discomfort and work fine.

The problem with them, for me, comes with cartridges of heavier and sharper recoil, because that thin comb drives up under my cheekbone as it rises in recoil and makes my poor head hurt. grin Most of my real problems with recoil are not shoulder related; that's easy....it's how they impact my face and head.

For me, the high, straight,and reasonably thick comb(and cheekpiece) of a Legend helps mitigate muzzle jump, recoil is more straight back and easier on my chops.

A pal(you know who he is)installed an Echols Legend on a 300 Weatherby that I shot last fall. Climbing behind a blown out 300,338, or 375 is not my idea of a fun day at the range but that Legend makes the entire affair a bit more tolerable. smile

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Although I don't mind the MC on my pre 64 M70 stocks I think Bob
is right on with insight to the legend design. I know my 300 H&H/legend stock handles my rather snappy load quite well.
I also miss the thoughtful input Allen offered.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great information. I really like the current stock a lot so I'm not sure how much more I would like another stock. I'm thinking of ordering pretty quickly though. Be nice to have it ready before next elk season.

I do think the Edge fill would be a great idea and pillars are a must, at least for me.

Great looking 300. Really looks like a an awesome set up.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
beretzs, I don't know if you want to go with the edge fill on a 338 win mag. Maybe others will chime in. I'm like you though, I really like the stock on my near identical Alaskan. The stock mitigates recoil very well for me. But you guys have to remember I shoulder the rifle off the wrong side. I know BobinNH is correct about the legend as well, but it all boils down to stock fit and the shape of your body and how you personally handle recoil. I'm going to use mine just like this, this year for elk hunting:

[Linked Image]

All natural except for some refinements:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Let me know how you like the Mcmillan after you get it. Thanks...

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 65 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.