Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I want the .44 version of the RUGER ALASKAN SuperRedhawk.
Are these really used by hunters for sidearms, or is it mostly an advertising gimmick?

[Linked Image]

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They make great fire starters.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not so much as primary hunting tools, but more as SHTF or heavy kit-guns for hiking, fishing and hunting.

Sure would have been nice if they would have made those with another inch and a half out front; what a good general purpose utility weapon that would have been -44, 454, and 480.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Too heavy for my taste. Like Klikitarik said. Need more barrel.

For me the 629 Mountain is better with 300gr Hard cast.

The Ruger sure is rugged though. Not a poor choice.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
No, but my wife's classmate was named Michael Hunt...

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have the 44 and the 454 however I much prefer Ruger's Alaskan with 4 inches of barrel as done by Hamilton Bowen, in 500 Linebaugh. But that's just me.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A 6" SRH can be a little awkward to use from inside a sleeping bag. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure there are more than a few being toted around for bear protection. Note that most people that pack a "bear gun" rarely put in sufficient practice at the range to master those guns, and of those that do go to the range only a small percentage could shoot well enough to do much good.

That said, I'd much rather they offered the Toklat in 480 Ruger, that would be a bear gun!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Too true. My sidearm is a .357 Python. How much practice does it take to stick a stub-gun in a bear's mouth? About the only use I see for the thing...

Other than chit-people, of course.

Last time I fired it a few years ago I put 3 into a 7" group rapid fire at 20 feet.

Figured that was good enough for people- bears I might want closer.. smile

On the other hand, in my other residence, I don't worry about bears. Got me a 10 shot clip loaded Hi-Standard pistoly with .22 hollowpoints there. If needed, I'm going until it "clicks"....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'm sure there are more than a few being toted around for bear protection. Note that most people that pack a "bear gun" rarely put in sufficient practice at the range to master those guns, and of those that do go to the range only a small percentage could shoot well enough to do much good.

This x10. If you aren't a regular pistol shooter then expect to only use it to fire a warning shot when the bear is a good ways away and then use it again for a contact shot to the CNS when he's already on you.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Watched a chap at our gun club shoot his brannie new snub nosed Ruger (I believe it was chambered for the .480 cartridge.) in preparation for an Alaskan bear hunt. His bear rifle was a Weatherby in .375 Weatherby. I couldn't figure out what he was going to do with that stub gun if the .3745 Weatherby didn't do the deed but it didn't matter. He fired three rounds, one, the first I believe, hit the target at 30 feet, the others missed. The following weekend the revolver, with ammo, was for sale in the club gun shop. I believe it has been bought and sold three or four times since. The same box of ammo is right next to it in the case.

My "bear protection gun" is a 12 gauge, 18 inch barreled, Italian made and gorgeous side-by-side with rifle sights and always loaded with two Brennekes that stay inside a three inch circle at 40 yards. *I might be wrong but it feels as though it weighs about the same as the Ruger.

Terry

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A friend from Alaska carried one everyday when we were Caribou hunting. 454 Casull.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There are no flies on the Redhawk. In that configuration would make for an ok tent gun or a carry piece when fishing. As stated above, would be more to my liking in a 4 or 5 inch piece.

If I'm walking in I do not carry a hog leg. If I fly in or boat in a pistol always goes with...but not to be carried as a suppliment to my rifle-it stays in camp.

Have put 50 or so rounds through one of these and it shot fine. It was not difficult to hit an 8" gong at 50 yards, though a 5 1/2" Redhawk could do that at 100 regularly.

I suspect more 4 1/2 " to 5 1/2" pistols are used by Alaskans than their shorter brethren are. As to gimicks, I suggest all advertising qualifies, does it not?

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give me a 329pd any day. I like the Ruger, but they are heavy and the 329 has. 4" barrel.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I have both the 44 and 454 though I load that one with 45 Colt Buffalo Bore ammo. Both hold Hard casts. Good tent gun, hiking gun etc. Forget the name of the guy in Soldotna that killed the bear with his while walking his dog. Friend of mine used his while bear baiting. They shoot if you can. I've carried several guns over the years. The one I carried the most and longest was a 5-1/2" Super Blackhawk. It's not the gun it's the shooter and the bullet. I favor any gun you are actually going to carry. Wish I still had my 480 Alaskan. Sold it to buy a 475 Linbaugh/480 Ruger BFR.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Wish I still had my 480 Alaskan. Sold it to buy a 475 Linbaugh/480 Ruger BFR.

I remember that one. I wish I had known. I have the big BFR as well as the SRH in a shortened, 5" form. Neither is exactly how I want the 480, a cartridge I do think had more merit that it ever got credit for.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
my cousin got one in 454 Casull.... I suspect he is a big Dwayne Johnson fan. haha

those things were a hot ticket when that movie came out, some idiot fans were throwing down over $2k for an $800 gun

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I have both the 44 and 454 though I load that one with 45 Colt Buffalo Bore ammo. Both hold Hard casts. Good tent gun, hiking gun etc. Forget the name of the guy in Soldotna that killed the bear with his while walking his dog. Friend of mine used his while bear baiting. They shoot if you can. I've carried several guns over the years. The one I carried the most and longest was a 5-1/2" Super Blackhawk. It's not the gun it's the shooter and the bullet. I favor any gun you are actually going to carry. Wish I still had my 480 Alaskan. Sold it to buy a 475 Linbaugh/480 Ruger BFR.

Greg Brush... a single shot and the bear skidded past him, very dead...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought Greg was using a 4" 500S&W

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I prefer the Redhawk to the Super Redhawk. I have the Redhawk 4 inch 45 Colt. I keep it loaded with 300 grain cast bullets at 1100-1200 fps. Shootable and still hard hitting. I rarely carry it though when I have a rifle with me.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.