S
Arctic Oven

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Canister stoves like JetBoil and their ilk work better in the cold with a little help. I like to put a pair of Hot Hands chemical hot packs under the fuel canister or placing the canister in a small partially filled pot of water while cooking acting to help warm the fuel for better burning.

Last edited by tdbob; 02/10/14.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Put away the butane stoves until spring and use a Svea.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Bring a snow shovel...

[Linked Image]

...and bacon! smile

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tdbob
Canister stoves like JetBoil and their ilk work better in the cold with a little help. I like to put a pair of Hot Hands chemical hot packs under the fuel canister or placing the canister in a small partially filled pot of water while cooking acting to help warm the fuel for better burning.

Just turn it upside down, it'll work great.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In some respects, I think you guys are lucky in that the severe cold means its a very dry cold..

We don't get too much snow, and even when we do, the temps rarely drop below say 25F and often just hover around freezing..

This means our snow tends to be wet and slushy and keeping dry is a major problem..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's been mentioned that bladders with drinking tubes can freeze. If you have one and get caught in the cold, empty the tube after each drink by blowing the water back into the bladder. It's not a cure all but it does help.
This also helps in hot weather as the water doesn't get hot in the tube.

So far as warm weather, it also keeps the water in the tube from leaking down the front of your shirt/coat. If there's any air leakage around the bite valve it drip and even can siphon. I don't usually blow into the tube but I do open the valve, pinch it, and hold it overhead so the water runs back into the bladder.

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 02/24/14.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E
In some respects, I think you guys are lucky in that the severe cold means its a very dry cold..

We don't get too much snow, and even when we do, the temps rarely drop below say 25F and often just hover around freezing..

This means our snow tends to be wet and slushy and keeping dry is a major problem..

You are correct in every phrase.

I.e. I love going east to the Rockies or merely the east slope of the Cascades even though temps are almost always much colder during late Fall hunting seasons. Clothes stay dry and dry out if they get wet, it is a paradise for dry firewood, we can lounge around a campfire outside, sit on down logs or blocks of wood without soaking our rear, damp stuff inside a vehicle doesn't mildew, I can even wear jeans and stay comfortable whistle etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes our snow can be so dry that XC skies will sink clear to the ground in knee deep snow, literally. Snowshoeing when it's like that can be workout you really don't want.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Sometimes our snow can be so dry that XC skies will sink clear to the ground in knee deep snow, literally. Snowshoeing when it's like that can be workout you really don't want.

Yep, with an anecdote: In extreme cold on a late moose hunt we had the lightest, fluffiest snow I've encountered: three feet deep and snowshoes would sink to within 4 inches of the ground. Without snowshoes we'd sink to within an inch or so. A friend and I toiled all day and covered 3 miles taking turns breaking trail. We would try snowshoes for awhile, decide it was easier without them so pack them for awhile, back and forth. Cloudless sky in bright sunshine. The air sparkled and if we stood still we could hear a musical tinkling, frozen water vapor bumping in the air I suppose. It was astoundingly dry. Ice evaporated out of clothes, containers etc. without freezing, just shrinks and dissappears.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ditto that. Dry cold is so much more forgiving. To a point.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.