Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a 1952 (barrel date) Model 70 FWT (serial 245xxx). Solid bolt handle, length of pull just over 13.5". I have attached pics of the aluminum (definitely aluminum) butt plate (right)on the rifle. It is obviously different from the standard aluminum butt plate I compared it to (left picture). I believe it to be original to the rifle. Has anyone ever seen this variation? I have not but like I said I think it is original. Ideas? Comments? PS it has the little lip on top like the regular 70, 71 buttplate.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by Milwroad; 01/29/14.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The one you say is "original" has been re-painted with what? Have you had the plate off or checked with a magnet to verify it is aluminum? The steel plates were thinner than the aluminum counterparts, looking similar to the one attached to the stock. However, the very first fwt's may have had a thinner plate. Here's one from a 100% all original 1952 fwt:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, had it off. Checked with a magnet. It is aluminum. The dimple pattern is the same as the one on the other aluminum plate in my pictures. The holes line up perfectly as well on both plates. The pic you posted seems thin like the one on my rifle. Most alum plates are thicker. Looks like there were two variations of the aluminum plate? One thin (earlier), one thicker (later)? Not sure what finish is on that plate but looks like a grey finish of some sort. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by Milwroad; 01/30/14.

limits.- Albert Einstein
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have not been in my mod 70 bible, Mr Rules book in weeks but I will take a look see. This kind of question is what makes collecting and shooting these guns so much fun ! My wife had a chance to and spoke with Mr Rule for a good 10 min when she bought my book as a Christmas present several years ago. She enjoyed her phone visit with him, he was on a cell phone going to catch a plane to HI a few days later the book showed up and I have never tired of it!I wish we could get him on here at times. very best

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have collected M/70's since the mid 1970's, I've never seen a FW buttplate with a grey finish like that. All I have seen were black with bright edges, I believe the grey to be a refinish of some sort.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yep, probably a rattle can several years ago, I'm thinking of having several of my steel plates ceracoated at one time.I have a plastic Westerner buttplate and it has a chip from 'safe rash' I bought a ' NOS 'off GB but it does not fit to suite me. very best

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, I agree it must be a refinish. I am glad to hear though that the early plates must have been thinner as BSA1917hunter has one just like mine except for the refinish on mine. Thanks to all for comments.

limits.- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's funny, the weird things you notice when comparing "collector" type rifles. I don't have the rifle I posted a picture of anymore. A good guy here has it now, but I can say with 100% certainty that the plate is 100% original. I bought it from the original owner and he kept it in great all original condition.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't know if the flash makes it look a little grayer than normal. But I wonder if it wasn't re-anodized and the sides were never "cleaned"?
I'll talk to a couple guys up here and see what they think.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like a cheap rattle can job to me, also too grey. Should be black anodized. The edges were always left in their natural state (not finished) as well. Like the one I pictured.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here it is on the right. Definitely more gray but does n [Linked Image] ot look like a quick paint job, no runs, etc anywhere. Pattern is identical to the "later" black aluminum butt plate next to it.

limits.- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry, but it still looks that way to me..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I agree it was modified somehow. All I meant to imply was that it was not a sloppy job when they did it. Interesting though that there does not seem to be any black under it.

limits.- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A careful guy with a spray can won't leave any runs. As for the pic with apparently two different thicknesses of buttplates, I'm not aware of any disparity there. Is the gray one an aftermarket
aluminum knock-off?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do not know, I bought this many years back but the plate is similar to the thickness on BSA1917hunters early featherweight. So maybe there was a change in thickness early on in production. Hopefully someone else will have an early FW and be able to comment.

limits.- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Scoured the rule book and the other guy (forgot) but no mention of any variation in the aluminum butt.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here are 3 of my fwt's to compare. Top down: 1957, 1952, and 1956:

[Linked Image]

This is also a fwt butt plate that I installed on a stock:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's another fwt with the aluminum butt plate:
[Linked Image]

I'm actually suspect of your fatter/thicker aluminum butt plate. Is it factory original????? That would be the question I'd be asking...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
BSA, thanks for all the info and time you are putting in on this thread. I am suspect of it as well, that is why I started this thread. Do you see any difference in the thickness of your 52 plate compared to the 56 or 57? I am sort of at a loss. The checkering pattern on mine is nearly identical to the one on the other original I am holding in the picture. It is also aluminum. I could put the original on the rifle but I don't want to replace it if I have some unusual variation. Thanks again.

limits.- Albert Einstein
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Has anyone actually measured the thickness of the plates? Seems to be the most logical way to determine if there is a thicker and/or thinner plate.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, thicker one is about .17 on the toe, the thinner one is about.135.You can see the difference in my first picture.

Last edited by Milwroad; 02/06/14.

limits.- Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 46 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.