Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#8528915 01/30/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I kept seeing Mule Deer mention the product Wipe-out, and always speaking highly of it.

So...I finally tacked a 2-can order onto some other things I was needing, and they arrived earlier this week.

What took me so long?? That stuff really makes the job pleasant.

Thanks, JB

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're welcome!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Wipe-Out a lot, especially when the weather is bad and I can't clean my rifles outdoors. I very much like the idea of my rifles getting clean while I sleep. That happens with Wipe Out.

In better weather, I use Montana X-Treme solvents outdoors which have pretty potent vapors I'd prefer not to inhale.

Either seems to do an excellent job of cleaning my rifles.

Steve

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It's about all I use these days. Sometimes when I want to just freshen the barrel up a bit I will use Bore Tech Eliminator on a few patches but for serious cleaning the Wipe Out is it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dyna Bore Coat and Wipe Out have changed all of gun cleaning habits. Love the stuff.

Randy

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Too much mess. Good for if your rifle barrel has never been squeaky clean (if you want that), but I prefer the Kroil-then-KG route. Every once and a while I'll give W-O a go, though...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great stuff.

Less time rod and jag stays out of the barrel, the better.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Too much mess? I just put an empty case in the chamber and squirt WO in the muzzle. A day later I open the action to remove the case, and push a few patches through.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hmm, might have to try that. I clamp the barrel in the vise, angled slightly toward the muzzle, put the trash can below the muzzle, jam the rubber tube in the chamber and squirt it in. After a few seconds the foam stops flowing out the muzzle, and I just jam an oversized cotton patch in the chamber. Never had any issues.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you folks doing well on the last day of January.

Thanks for the tip on using Wipe Out, as I mentioned I'm going to try to source some up here and give it a whirl.

A silly question perhaps, but am I to understand you leave it butt down then with the empty case in the chamber?

Thanks in advance John and all the best to you and Eileen this weekend.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/31/14. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Dwayne,

No, I stand the rifle on its muzzle. Otherwise the WO will seep past the case a little.

The only reason for the case is to keep the foam from oozing all through the action. I must admit, however, that once in a while I just close the bolt, and the WO gives the bolt-face a nice cleaning as well.

Best to you, and hope you have a nice weekend!

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Too much mess? I just put an empty case in the chamber and squirt WO in the muzzle. A day later I open the action to remove the case, and push a few patches through.

Why didn't I think of that? I just used it for the first time a couple of days ago. Seems like good stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suspect, don't have any proof, that I got WO on my stock bedding and it softened the bedding material. I can't prove this happened but the rifle had shot well for several years but the accuracy went away and then I found the bedding material could be gouged with a finger nail. Anyone here ever have something similar happen?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A bore guide w/o-ring is a good Friend when using wipeout,
My second best friend is a 8" piece of flexible fuel line just a hair bigger than your case....it will seal off the chamber AND allow w/o to push all the way through the barrel.
Let the fuel line hang out the action ejection port to drain "over blow".
I've found the fuel line trick is the ONLY way (OK my way) to clean a lever action or auto/pump type rifle.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kraky111
My second best friend is a 8" piece of flexible fuel line just a hair bigger than your case....it will seal off the chamber AND allow w/o to push all the way through the barrel.
Let the fuel line hang out the action ejection port to drain "over blow".
I've found the fuel line trick is the ONLY way (OK my way) to clean a lever action or auto/pump type rifle.

That is a neat idea...and I usually have some fuel hose laying around all the time. I will definitely have to try this out!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a thought, would an o-ring of sorts around the cartridge seal it?

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never used Wipe Out but I do use Wipe Out Patch Out and it works great. I just never liked the foam cleaners.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I flood the bore with Montana X-Treme instead of Wipeout but I bought a few of these in different sizes to plug the chamber. They should work just the same with Wipeout. They cost a few cents each at most hardware stores.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Boise
I suspect, don't have any proof, that I got WO on my stock bedding and it softened the bedding material. I can't prove this happened but the rifle had shot well for several years but the accuracy went away and then I found the bedding material could be gouged with a finger nail. Anyone here ever have something similar happen?

This happened to one of my rifles. After a lousy session at the range with a usually accurate rifle, I took it home and checked everything. When I removed the stock a little of the bedding fell out. What was left had turned rubbery. I re-bedded it and it was good to go. I am way more careful about plugging the action now.
I use a rolled up piece of blue paper shop towel. Make it kind of case shaped and push it in tight. The towel soaks up some of the WO and cleans the front of the chamber area, but keeps it from getting into the bedding. I also use a vise, barrel angled down over a small trash can I keep on my bench.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I plug the breach end, spray wipe out down the bore, and then just lay the rifle on it's side on the floor. Should I be standing it muzzle down?

Bb

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 63 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.