-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never used it, but I would think standing it muzzle down would be best. Otherwise I would think it would "settle" to one side of the barrel?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Boise
Anyone here ever have something similar happen?

When I used WO, the fired case, on the next range trip, was "glued" so tightly in the chamber I could barely get the bolt open. Subsequent firings were the same. I had to gunk up the action with solvents to clean the chamber area which is what I was trying to avoid by using WO in the first place.

Muzzle down, chamber plugged for a reason.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was just looking at the W/O products at midway. Which one is it that y'all are using and liking the most?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's where I bought mine from.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You guys are making this harder than it has to be. Just rest the rifle horizontally in a gun cradle etc. Stuff a blue shop towel in the chamber area. You actually don't want something airtight in the chamber because it makes it harder for the foam to expand all the way from the muzzle to the throat.

I leave it horizontal overnight and then give it a zip with some patches or a Boresnake.

After that, take a mop and swap the chamber, and a bent qtip to clean around the lugs.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use a bore guide. Short squirts in the muzzle until it comes out the guide, paper towel under both ends.

I use a slight incline towards the muzzle to keep WO out of the action area.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Just stuff a couple of patches into the chamber with a short
cleaning rod - it seals excessive foam just fine. Push them out from the muzzle and clean the barrel as usual practice.
A couple of short bursts of foam works best so as not to waste too much product.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I use a bore guide. Short squirts in the muzzle until it comes out the guide, paper towel under both ends.

I use a slight incline towards the muzzle to keep WO out of the action area.

Pre-Zactley! That's the same method I use. No problems whatsoever.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Reloder28,

Why was the case still in the chamber when you went to the range? Hadn't you swabbed out the bore?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
deg967,

I've used both the foam and the Patch-Out. They both work about the same on fouling, but the foam is easier to get inside the bore. No rod, no patches, just squirt it in and leave it.

It does take a little practice to not overload the barrel. All you need to do it fill the bore. Just tap the button at first, waiting a couple of seconds between taps.

I must comment that in years of using Wipe-Out I've yet to get it down into the action bedding, whether blocking it with an empty case or just the bolt face. But maybe I'm just a cheapskate, so use the minimum amount!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I use some clear vinyl tubing that's about 3/16" inside diameter and about 3/10 " OD , jam it onto the nozzle and then jam the other end into the throat or against the shoulder in smaller calibers. Then use MD's techniques of short squirts 'til it oozes out the muzzle.

I'll lay it on one side and the next day after pushing some patches through it, if I think there's still more copper fouling, I'll give it another application and lay it on the other side.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
LOVE my wipeout! Had a bad experience with a new can this last go-round though. Got my new can ready to go, straw inserted, shook vigorously, and nothing....my brand new can had lost pressure. Completely full....nothing but a drip drip of fluid, not foam.

Wonder if they will make good on it? Had another new can and proceeded to go to town on the gunk.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
John, Have you tried the Gunslick foam? If so how does it compare to Wipe Out?

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for PATCH Out. The foam is fun, but the patch liquid works better. Use plastic bore brushes or plastic jags with patches to wet everything down, come back tomorrow.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
deg967,

I've used both the foam and the Patch-Out. They both work about the same on fouling, but the foam is easier to get inside the bore. No rod, no patches, just squirt it in and leave it.

It does take a little practice to not overload the barrel. All you need to do it fill the bore. Just tap the button at first, waiting a couple of seconds between taps.

I must comment that in years of using Wipe-Out I've yet to get it down into the action bedding, whether blocking it with an empty case or just the bolt face. But maybe I'm just a cheapskate, so use the minimum amount!

Thanks MD gonna get the foam!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hmmm, I have never tried this stuff but I will have to give it a try. Has anyone ever used it on an antique? I have a winchester 1892 built in 1896, just wondering if it might be too harsh? Thank you for the information.

turbine1
Life Member of the NRA
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. 1. Jesus Christ 2. The American G.I "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!" You might want to pass this on, as many seem to forget both of them!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Reloder28,

Why was the case still in the chamber when you went to the range? Hadn't you swabbed out the bore?

Well, it was actually the first fired case on that range trip that stuck. No, I did not swab out the chamber, bore yes. As a newcomer to the product I was unaware of the need. I definitely know now.

There are times when you don't know what you don't know.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah! Yeah, that could sure happen.

I have a friend who got a bunch of Dyna Bore Coat in the chamber of one of his rifles, and after it dried couldn't chamber rounds. I suggested twirling a 28-gauge bore brush inside the chamber, and luckily it worked....

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great tips!!
I have some 223 chamber things with built in O rings. I also purchased a chamber spray attachment for the Wipe out but spraying in from the chamber I always had some leak out before I got the plug in. I'll go from the bore and keep the muzzle down from now on!!

I previously used a fired case but leakage that "glued" the extractor (M700) in place where you couldn't close the bolt - from then on, the bolt face gets a scrubbin' with solvent.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've tried both wipe-out and patch -out. I prefer the patch-out. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.