Campfire Outfitter
Consistent/repeatable Harmonics?

GB1

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ladders also help with accuracy from a powder measure as you have a couple tenths leeway on your throw. Not an issue with smaller calibers but when your throwing 70 plus grains of powder even in a BR3 it is often off a tenth or so.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Without wind flags it's a wild ass guess disguised as a process

Failure's always an option
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tell me why wind flags are necessary to find consecutive rounds that impact on the same horizontal plane?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you need to be told something so simple, you probably shouldn't be offering advice on accuracy

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'lia,

I'm in the unique position,that dumb [bleep] line up for miles...just to tell me their stupid [bleep] schit. All of which I appreciate,for it's unrivaled humor.

I REALLY enjoy this stupid schit and all the hilarity.

Thanks!

SLM,

Please don't go slightin' the inherent humor of Goat [bleep].

This schit is [bleep] funny!

Ken,

Vertical is nipped by uniform velocity.

Though I do LOVE this .1gr of this and .1gr of that,[bleep] STUPIDITY.

Next it'll be a Global Warming Ladder.

Laffin'!

'man,

Harmonics is easily skewed in a multitude of ways,but inconsistency velocities...do not get consistent downrange,after having climbed a [bleep] ladder.

No matter how badly a dreamer,wishes it to be.(grin)

Hint.

spj,

Jeezus [bleep]...that schit was funny too.

WOW +P+!

'nan,

You might just be onto sumptin'...regarding atmospherics.

There's hope.(grin)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Boxer

'man,

Harmonics is easily skewed in a multitude of ways,but inconsistency velocities...do not get consistent downrange,after having climbed a [bleep] ladder.

Hint.

My comment was in the other direction, namely, consistent velocities per se don't assure small vertical dispersion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Boxer

'man,

Hint.

My comment was in the other direction, namely, consistent velocities per se don't assure small vertical dispersion.

Yep.

Load #3 had the most consistant velocities for these shots. Only differed by 6ft/sec. Yet the group size is almost double load #2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"LONG RANGE TUNE.... Here is an interesting set of trajectory plots. No matter how carefully one loads his ammo, there are going to be small differences in muzzle velocity. Consider a load with an average muzzle velocity of 2915 fps with a muzzle velocity variation of 15 fps. Then consider this load tuned for zero vertical at 100 yards that overcomes that small difference in muzzle velocity.
This same load will be out of tune by 73.23-71.50=1.73 inches of vertical at 600 yards. However if the load is tuned so that there is 12.21-11.92=0.29 inches of vertical at 100 yards (with the slower muzzle velocity hitting higher) then there would be zero vertical at 600 yards. This chart is for a 6.5mm 140 gr VLD bullet with a 0.64 BC. A similar chart or table can be made for each long range load. If you are in tune for zero vertical at 100 yards, you will not be in tune for zero vertical at 600 or 1000 yards."

Last edited by rcamuglia; 02/28/14.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Higher velocity shots exit early while pointing lower at the target but drop less in reaching the target.
Lower velocity shots exit later while pointing higher at the target but drop more in reaching the target.
Counteracting combination. Good.

Higher velocity shots exit early while pointing higher at the target and drop less in reaching the target.
Lower velocity shots exit later while pointing lower at the target and drop more in reaching the target.
Bad additive combination. Bad. This is currently being called "Negative Compensation".

Isolating the above is the purpose of an Audette Ladder

It rules.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tucsonan
If you need to be told something so simple, you probably shouldn't be offering advice on accuracy

You stupid mofo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I second that!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
And if you don't know if the bullets are dispersing vertically due to barrel harmonics or atmospheric changes, it's still a wild azzed guess, where I'd guess the process would include : shoot, make a guess, vary load by .5 grains. With flags you have more information with which to identify the cause, something much more quantifiable than a theoretic node.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ah, rca and tak, all we need now is swampy for a truly memorable triumverate of stupidity. Say something about Remington; should set off his web-crawler

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you have no understanding of anything involved.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
With your learning curve we'd be lucky to show you how to measure group size before the next election. Tip: if our two outer bullet holes aren't touching, the group size can't meaure smaller than your bullet's diameter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you use 100 yard development for your rifles

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
About a month ago, there was a post on how to work up a load for a rifle, I think that this is a good place to repeat that post.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
200 yds is where the short br game is won or lost, and if you're shooting out to 300 that's where you should hone it in. At any distance, you have to use flags to weigh the effects of any changes you're witnessing in the poi. You can have a gun that will shoot zeros, and if you don't monitor the changes in wind direction, speed, mirage, and all the things that can happen between you and the target, you'll never know why your groups work out as they do. That's the problem I have with leaving that out of the shooting, or the load development process. It's 50% of the battle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see.

I also see you have no idea of what constitutes a fine long range load. 200 and 300 yards aren't long range. A little vertical at those ranges won't kill you.

When you're shooting 600 to 1200 yards and you have a load with a minute or more of vertical you have more than just wind to worry about. You have to worry about where your barrel will haphazardly throw the shot vertically AND where your piss poor wind reading skills will place the bullet horizontally

With loads that consistently print with minimal vertical dispersion at every range and solid drop data, the wind is the only issue. That's tough enough.

100 yard development works well too, but sometimes will fool you. You discovered that at long range.

Page 3 of 58 1 2 3 4 5 57 58

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.