Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I emailed this to my MP's office and followed up with a letter.

So you understand, it's not the type of correspondence that recipients like. It's a negative evaluation, and therefore will be taken as a personal attack, but I'm not after anything.

My MP is a woman and a doctor. I am hopeful that she cares enough to do some personal introspection. Frankly however, she's a politician, so it's unlikely that she has a heart. I expect that despite saying I do not want a response, something will be written on her behalf, and Kellie will sign it.

She has been to my house. I met her before she became an MP. I wonder, is there a spark of decency inside? I sure hope so.

You might consider doing the same with your own MP.
---

3 Feb 2014

Dear Dr. Leitch,

I wrote once before, shortly after you were elected. It was about military pensions; specifically, the need for veterans to retain the bridge benefit at age 65. I watched live as you voted with the rest of the party and dashed that hope. I believed that as a doctor, you understood that a proper diet and access to medicine were vital to guard the body against disease. I thought, naively perhaps, that you genuinely cared about the health concerns of our aging population. Many of us believed that right would win the day. It didn't.

Since, I have seen trouble in the Senate, spending irregularities, a lack of public transparency, and unusual election procedures. Mr. Harper, and the Conservative party generally, are having serious image problems. Perhaps no one is too concerned yet, given that we are not facing an election. I can tell you however that I am concerned, as are others in the riding and across Canada.

Now I see that Mr. Fantino, Ms. Gallant and several others are badmouthing veterans, many of whom are older, but all, regardless of age, deserving of respect. The perception is that you want the vets to do as they are told, shut up and suffer in silence. The lack of concern about military suicides is yet another disappointment Canadians face from their elected government. When did the wheels fall off the cart?

Having spent most of my adult life in the military, I understand that it is rare for MPs or public officials to pay those in uniform the slightest bit of attention - unless it gets them favourable press. As someone with conservative values, it is hard for me to write this, but the time has come to re-evaluate what the CPC is. I must ask myself, should I continue to support an organization which has strayed so far from its roots? It's a party that has changed for the worse, and does not care about people anymore. As a member of the CPC, I feel that I had a hand in this, and I'm ashamed.

The party continues to embarrass itself publicly. The truth - whether real or imagined - is that the CPC has succumbed to the money and benefits of public office. The Prime Minister has a smothering grip on all of you. Although I realize this isn't the Reform party of old, most of the direction has been lost. Sadly, many of us now realize that the party no longer respects the values they originally held high, or the people that elected them to Parliament.

You should consider some self reflection as well.

I do not want a written or phone response to this letter. I'm afraid that I would not believe most of it anyway.

Nonetheless, I wish you well. It would be nice to think that politicians would take a pledge similar to the Hippocratic Oath. The first line should read, "Do no harm." I hope that you can examine your conscience and be comfortable with the conclusion.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like it, would be nice to know what went through her mind IF she read it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Given that most politicians rarely read the letters sent to them, some nameless secretary will write a response. If I'm lucky, it will be put in a pile for Kellie to sign.

Will she read it? Only if her staff thinks it's something she needs to see. For that reason, I doubt she'll ever know it was sent.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Steve, does the Royal Canadian Legion, or similar originations carry any political clout?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not really. They get a tiny bit of press which politicians, regardless of party, ignore. Like the US, it takes someone to get caught doing something illegal before anything is done.

It's a sad fact of life in the 21st century.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well the main thing that is wrong with the CPC is that it no longer exists, has been dead for about 11 years. In 2003 the Canadian Alliance joined with the CPC under much protest from some CPC members, and became the Conservative Party. What is it really? The Reform Party of Canada.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Actually, it was the PC - the Progressive Conservative party - that disappeared, but that's not important. The present CPC bares little resemblance to the Reform party.

Rather than discuss that which has gone on before, write your MP and complain about how things are now.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Am I hopelessly out of the loop, or does a ink, on paper, letter get more respect than an email?

It is still opened by an aide, but the emails seem too easy.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I talk to my MP on a regular basis, no sense in sending him a letter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-kXfEi1zok

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Actually, it was the PC - the Progressive Conservative party - that disappeared, but that's not important. The present CPC bares little resemblance to the Reform party.

Rather than discuss that which has gone on before, write your MP and complain about how things are now.

The current Conservative party resembles the past Reform Pary more than it resembles the past Progressive Conservatives.

Last edited by n007; 02/03/14.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't change the subject. This is not about Reformers, PC or the CPC. If you want to talk about that, start your own thread.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Steve, Funny you should bring this topic up as I was thinking about it today.
I am concerned about the next election and how I should vote.
On the one hand the CPC is our only real hope as gun owners, at this point anyway, on the other hand, as a retired, partially disabled Veteran, I am deeply concerned about the current attitude that the gov. is exhibiting towards the military and Veterans in particular. I sincerely feel for the folks who have lost their local VAC office in the past few days. From where I am in Redcliff, it is a long 3 hour drive to the office in downtown Calgary. Then, good luck finding parking close by etc.
I plan to discuss my concerns with my MP in the next while and when the next election comes along I pray I will not have to compromise.
I think, given the current situation, many of us will have to make some tough choices.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by troutfly
...I am concerned about the next election and how I should vote. On the one hand the CPC is our only real hope as gun owners, at this point anyway, on the other hand, as a retired, partially disabled Veteran, I am deeply concerned about the current attitude that the gov. is exhibiting towards the military and Veterans in particular. I sincerely feel for the folks who have lost their local VAC office in the past few days....

...I think, given the current situation, many of us will have to make some tough choices.

And that's the problem. Who else can we turn to?

Once you're in power, the things you campaigned to do can sometimes be difficult to complete, due to legal or procedural rules. There is also the possibility that the promises were lies, spoken only to get elected, and then tossed away.

So what does one do? Hold your nose and vote CPC? Presently, there are no alternatives.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
...I am concerned about the next election and how I should vote. On the one hand the CPC is our only real hope as gun owners, at this point anyway, on the other hand, as a retired, partially disabled Veteran, I am deeply concerned about the current attitude that the gov. is exhibiting towards the military and Veterans in particular. I sincerely feel for the folks who have lost their local VAC office in the past few days....

...I think, given the current situation, many of us will have to make some tough choices.

Once you're in power, the things you campaigned to do can sometimes be difficult to complete, due to legal or procedural rules. There is also the possibility that the promises were lies, spoken only to get elected, and then tossed away.

So what does one do? Hold your nose and vote CPC? Presently, there are no alternatives.

Sad state of affairs and you are quite right, there are no other choices....think they know it?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nobody has selective vision and hearing to match that of the veteran politician. It doesn't matter how badly they screw up, they just cannot see it. I have known people like this who were not politicians but it is a trait all politicians share.
When people wonder at low voter turnouts, there can be little doubt the cynicism engendered by actions of elected representatives is the main cause. How can one not become cynical? GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't change the subject. This is not about Reformers, PC or the CPC. If you want to talk about that, start your own thread.

Thought you might be more effective with your political action if you were actually addressing the correct political party, not one that hasn't existed for a decade. I will comment on whatever thread I feel like in anyway I like.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My Dad's tougher than your Dad. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Sad state of affairs and you are quite right, there are no other choices....think they know it?

I think they know it and are taking advantage of it.

Originally Posted by n007

Thought you might be more effective with your political action if you were actually addressing the correct political party, not one that hasn't existed for a decade. I will comment on whatever thread I feel like in anyway I like.

An Internet tough guy. One with reading comprehension problems too. Go play with your friends at the park. His dad likely wore a dress.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old Steve is going to keep writing letters to the CPC party dumbfounded as to why he never gets a reply, he will pen another letter of outrage to Robert Stanfield demanding an answer.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by n007
Old Steve is going to keep writing letters to the CPC party dumbfounded as to why he never gets a reply, he will pen another letter of outrage to Robert Stanfield demanding an answer.

You are an idiot. A badly informed one at that. If you do not know what you are talking about, it's best to keep it zipped. I have been a member of the CPC for years. If you can, go ask your older brother or sister about what happened in 2003 with the Alliance and the PCs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_of_Canada

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
430 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 43 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.