Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
troutfly;
I hope this finds you and your family doing acceptably well so far this year sir.

I believe I've thanked both you and Steve for your service previously, but it can't hurt to do so again - a sincere thanks to both of you.

This has been a topic I've been following closely and certainly can't see why the PM's office is allowing this mess to continue.

I must confess that I wasn't a fan of Julian Fantino when he was a Police Chief and that hasn't improved any since he went from LE politics to Federal politics. frown

While I do understand the need for budget balancing and cutbacks sometimes, there are many, MANY suggestions of ministries that could be sliced and diced before Veterans Affairs in my view.

We'll see where this takes us I suppose, as you say though, we're sorta stuck as to who to vote for in more ways than one.

Have a good week sir and try to stay warm and out of the wind for the next wee bit.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne,

On the news I watched when some of the vets chewed out Fantino and it was good to see. I think he got so used to everybody kowtowing to him when he was chief of the Toronto police that he thinks they should still do it. It made me feel good to see the way the vets spoke up to him. In my opinion he showed a great lack of respect by failing to arrive at an arranged meeting on time. What the heck they're old men, they've got nothing better to do than to wait for me!

Jim

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is what happens when a government has been in power for too long without refreshing itself. I think Harper made the mistake of appointing some people that were not qualified for the jobs they were to undertake. I'm speaking of Duffy, Wallin and Fantino. There are others.

I believe that they were "hired" for PR value. All were political neophytes, with no practical knowledge of how to do the job. They knew nothing about the business of politics. You can cover Parliament Hill as a reporter, but not know what goes on behind closed doors, procedural steps, Senate/ministerial obligations, financial accountibility, etc. Stop hiring unqualified people!

As well, my own belief is that Harper has had his turn and now it's time to move on. There is too much negativity attached to his leadership. Find a new leader. Friends, family, Conservative MPs and the public have to give him this message. It is a double edged sword however. The right replacement has to be found. We only need to look at the succession of bad Liberal leaders to see how important it is to have the right person at the top.

Riding associations have to pass the word up the chain. Ordinary citizens have to write their MPs, if they are in a Conservative riding. Get ahead of your local Conservative riding association and have a friendly chat. The idea has to be planted in public areas for the word to get out.

My two cents.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bumped, to remind everyone that you should be talking with your local CPC riding assn. Things are in need of a tweek.

We've seen trouble with the Senate, the RCMP in High River, Veteran's Affairs, unusual firearms reclassification procedures (public servants acting on their own without the govt's blessing), and voting irregularities, all within the last six months. One has to wonder what's going on in Ottawa.

Given that there are no palatable political alternatives, it's time for a CPC tune up. Get informed and have your say.

Bonne chance!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is probably Harpers last election.
Right now who is to take over?
Jason Kenney comes to my mind but might be unelectable due to his strong stand against abortion, the media will make hash out of him. Nice hard working person he is.
Jim Prentice smart guy might be the ticket.
Politics is the art of the possible. One of the reasons bill C68 will never be repealed no matter what party is in power or who the Prime Minister is. the best that can be hoped for is some piece meal small changes that fly under the national media radar. Most Canadians are at best tolerant of gun owners, but have no particular love for us. That is why the Liberals and NDP constantly and successfully picked us as a target and will do again as soon as they have an opportunity.

Harper and his crew, with all its warts faults and short comings have served this country pretty good. At least they got most of the big ticket items right.
For the gun owners they did what they could without angering too much the rest of the electorate and press. They are not going to commit political suicide to please a relative small part of their core supporters.
I think that is about the best we can hope for. The items they get not right, guess we have to lobby them.
Just imagine Prime Minister Justin Trudeau or Prime Minister Mulcair.
No indeed I could not either, but they are at this moment a real possibility.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My two cents, FWIW. Here's what I know for sure...

PM Harper said they'd get rid of the registry, and they did.

It is the Conservative Party that listens to, and takes gun owners seriously.

Both the Liberals and the NDP will pander to the anti-gun left every chance they get. I don't trust any of them as far as I can throw 'em! IMHO, either will screw gun owners blind if they think it will score them votes.

As noted above, just consider the possibility of a PM Trudeau or Mulcair, and be very alarmed!

In politics one never gets everything they want.

But when considering options, the possibility of getting what one doesn't want is every bit as relevant.

All that said, Harper is the best PM I've seen in my 60 year lifetime, bar none.

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well I figure they've gotten cocky and don't seem to care when they get caught with their fingers in the cookie jar. All good things must end though.
I don't trust any politician really and am pretty sure most of them are city slickers that have little more than nothing to do with hunting and firearms. That being said I guess the cpc is the best of a bad lot..

Rog

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.