-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 20 1 2 3 4 19 20
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Loaded to the same exact pressure, the 280 will beat the 7X57 and the 7X57 will beat the 7mm-08. That's pretty simple to figure out.

The real problem is deciding what chambering to get in what rifle. True short actions are obvious 7-08s. Medium actions will be 7-08 or 7X57. Long actions can be all three. Get what you want and load to the velocity you desire.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How could this even be an issue?

Thats like saying Heidi Klum vs. Rosie Odonnel�..

sheesh�..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by safariman

50 extra FPS in the x57 version? Oh hail YES you can, especially with 150's to 175's. Just can't show it in the major manuals, as they will not generally print data that runs in the same pressure ranges as they will run in an /08 based cartridge that will not be seen in a '95 Mauser or old Rolling block left over from the Mexican wars.

I stand corrected. I still say it doesn't make any sense chamber in anything other than a mauser. If you've gotta go LA, then why not chamber it in 280?

Are you referring to a Mauser intermediate length action?

Yes.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

sheesh�..

That was enough to convince me. Although a scary analogy.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

I stand corrected. I still say it doesn't make any sense chamber in anything other than a mauser. If you've gotta go LA, then why not chamber it in 280?

Are you referring to a Mauser intermediate length action?

Yes.

I have an MRC 7x57 on order. The action length is 3.1 - from what I understand, intermediate length.

In any event, the whole point of my question seems to be answered in the fact that there doesn't seem to be anything inherent in the 7-08 that makes its performance superior to the 7x57; it's just that the published loading data won't get near real 7x57 potential because of all the older, weaker actions still running around. Unless I'm really missing something, that sounds like that about sums it up.

And thanks a heap for the visual, Ingwe. If nothing else, we'll not forget your point! smile

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The 7x57 is pure history and panache.The 7-08 is not to be despised, a superb utilitarian round��butttttt�..

Arguments can easily be made for the 7-08 and its utility. Valid arguments. But arguments can also be made for driving a Chevy over driving a Jaguar�..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

sheesh�..

who is this O'Donnell chick? Head Klum is hot, so I'm guessing Rosie must be super-hot? Do you have pictures?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
I have a Rem. 700 Classic in 7x57 and a Ruger77 MKII stainless in 7mm08... best of both worlds( don't know why but I like the 7x57 best)
Thats easy cause your 7x57 is NOT in a ruger !! smile and Chevy vs Jaguar 7-08 vs 7x57 either some one here is biased or they been to CO. and been smoking some meds.

Last edited by ldholton; 02/04/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Do any of you know of any sources for reloading data that would wring the potential out of the 7x57?

Having owned and reloaded for both, I can tell you the 7X57 will trump the 7-08 but not by much.

As far as finding data to get that performance, good luck. It's a handloader's cartridge and to get the most out of it you need to keep an eye on the chronograph and be willing to develop your own information for the rifle you are loading for. The chamber and throat dimensions vary greatly and so can the actual strength of the action you are using with this dinosaur so you have to load for it accordingly.

Mule Deer did quite a write up on this some time back for Handloader, but most people still don't understand all 7X57's are not created equal.

In the end, my 7X57 is sold and my 7-08 is not.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
I have a Rem. 700 Classic in 7x57 and a Ruger77 MKII stainless in 7mm08... best of both worlds( don't know why but I like the 7x57 best)
Thats easy cause your 7x57 is NOT in a ruger !! smile and Chevy vs Jaguar 7-08 vs 7x57 either some one here is biased or they been to CO. and been smoking some meds.

I see you are another one of those individuals who believe all the negative publicity of a Ruger. Do you happen to have any for sale? grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Agree totally with ingwe.... and to answer take a knee on not going .280, simple answer, it just isn't a 7x57.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Do any of you know of any sources for reloading data that would wring the potential out of the 7x57?

Having owned and reloaded for both, I can tell you the 7X57 will trump the 7-08 but not by much.

As far as finding data to get that performance, good luck. It's a handloader's cartridge and to get the most out of it you need to keep an eye on the chronograph and be willing to develop your own information for the rifle you are loading for. The chamber and throat dimensions vary greatly and so can the actual strength of the action you are using with this dinosaur so you have to load for it accordingly.

Mule Deer did quite a write up on this some time back for Handloader, but most people still don't understand all 7X57's are not created equal.

In the end, my 7X57 is sold and my 7-08 is not.

Travis

Why doesn't this classless act surprise me? grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I leave being emotional about things up to you and ingwe.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by ldholton

I see you are another one of those individuals who believe all the negative publicity of a Ruger. Do you happen to have any for sale? grin
nope all gone. I learn fast.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Travis

Do you happen to remember the date of the issue?

Thanks

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No. But I'm sure I have it at home. I can send it to you if I find it.

Travis

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
No. But I'm sure I have it at home. I can send it to you if I find it.

Travis

I'd really appreciate that.

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I leave being emotional about things up to you and ingwe.

Travis

There is nothing emotional about my experience with the 7x57...it's "the fact, Jack".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

sheesh�..

who is this O'Donnell chick? Head Klum is hot, so I'm guessing Rosie must be super-hot? Do you have pictures?

Please, no. Although I have my eye bleach handy.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"In the end, my 7X57 is sold and my 7-08 is not."

We all make mistakes. shocked Mine was selling the first one I ever had. It as on one of those supposedly weak 1893 actions and it was responsible, so I thought for mr losing the very first deer I ever lost. Ive since learned that it was not th rifle but the ammo. The 175 gr. Federal round nose advertised to do 2400 FPS and barely passed 2000 FPS. I also strongly suspect those old 93 and 95 Mausers may be stronger that we realize. Seems like Spain rearreled a whole big bunch of them to 7.62 NATO and they were strong enough for that cartridge. They sold them here in this country as .308 Winchesters. shocked Sure, they don't handle escaping gas as well as the 98 Mausers but blow up because of a fairly hot handload? Could it just be badmouthing put out by the American gun companies because they might not want competition from foreign importers? I remember such activity during the late 50's and early 60's where the gun companies were lobbying Congress to ban those imports of milsurp arms.
Anyway, I don't own a 7-08 but do have three rifles in 7x57. A Ruger #1A, a Winchester M70 XTR FWT and a custom built on an FN Mauser action. The Ruger has a very long throat and is happiest with the 175 gr. round nose bullets. Does quite well with the 175 gr. Hornady spire point bullet also. The M70 seems to shoot just about anything well as does the Mauser. The Mauser need load that hold less powder than loads for the winchester yet does an average of 100 FPS more velocity with the same bullet weight. ne day I was plaing wwith a load using the 175 gr. Hornady RN trying to duplicate the original 2300 FPS load that the 7x57 made it's reputation on. The Ruger did 2310 FPS and the Winchester 2330 FPS. The same load in the custom Mauser did 2410 FPS. The Mauser has a match grade chamber and barrel which I think may be resposible for the higher velocity. The more I play with my 7x57 rifles the more I like that cartridge.
Would I ever buy a 7-08? I dunno? I don'y need one nor do I particularly want one. Maybe if the price was awfully right. Then I might see what all the fuss is about. wink
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 20 1 2 3 4 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

715 members (117LBS, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,152
Posts18,465,058
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.