Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, I'm really jealous. I just finished zeroing my 348 and it seems like pigs would be a perfect application to blood the old rifle!

I've heard the meat is real good. Love to have a bunch of it to stuff in the freezer.

Semper Fi
GB1

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Absolutely, that would be a perfect rifle! I have an old M94 with a Williams FP rear sight and Firesight front. At the ranges I generally shoot it'd be fine...but my eyes ain't what they used to be, even with the Firesight (which is really a great sight, by the way, especially in low light conditions). That old .348 would work fine.

As for the meat, it's generally pretty tasty and tender; but you hear all sorts of opinions about a mature boar. Some folks won't touch it saying it's "rank," while others have never had an issue with it at all. Personally, I think three things are generally going on: 1) psychology - if you hear it enough, you begin to believe it; 2) adrenaline - some hogs have been run before being killed and that can pump a lot of adrenaline through the meat (although, again, I'm not sure just how much that affects it, if any: I'm not a biologist); 3) handling - if meat isn't properly handled (i.e., cooled quickly, washed down before skinning, butchered with plenty of fresh water running over it, etc.) then it's likely to be ruined. But you can say that about any meat.

Personally I've not had an issue with some of the bigger boars, although I do try to stay with pigs under about 100 pounds. But there is a reason for that: I'm often by myself and they're just easier for one person to handle. Besides, the big ones are "breeders" and even though the rancher wants every single pig off his property, to me they're game and groceries, so I leave the big ones to do what big ones do. Or the cowboys eventually kill them; but they're not out there enough to make even a small dent in the population.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by ingwe
I will be in Florida in February with pig death on my mind and on my menu... grin

Oh that's right. Dead of winter. You might need a long sleeve shirt.

Sweeeeeet�.. cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RevMike
I will be in Florida in February with pig death on my mind and on my menu... grin

Oh that's right. Dead of winter. You might need a long sleeve shirt.

Sweeeeeet�.. cool

And mosquito repellent! grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
eek

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey, Mule Deer is over on the Gunwriters forum defending the 7x57. That man has a lot of wisdom. Of course, he does have a beard....

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
eek

What part of the Sunshine State are you going to be in, anyway?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I will be in St. Petersburg, but will travel a bit for pigs grin

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I will be in St. Petersburg, but will travel a bit for pigs grin

Nice part of the state. I'm on the other side; have been for all but the first four years of my life. You probably won't have to travel far as those buggers are all over.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah Im looking at a couple places about half way�.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yeah Im looking at a couple places about half way�.

PM me - I might be able to hook you up with a combo bass trip/hog hunt. An inland, "surf & turf", if you will. smile

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As we get closer and I nail down dates, I will!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Heading out tomorrow to fill some feeders. I might get a shot or two, but won't shoot them all. There will be more than enough, Ingwe, when you visit our beloved state.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't kill them all!!!!! cry

Save some for me! cool

Hey Ingwe: no pigs this evening, so consider some of them saved.

I guess since this is Good Friday you could take that a couple of ways...

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
About ten minutes after I posted the above:

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice! Congrats on the pig!

Semper Fi
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
Nice! Congrats on the pig!

Thanks. This one was taken by a buddy of mine (fellow priest) last evening just before the sun went down. I was already out of my stand and heading to the truck as it was pretty close to dark and starting to sprinkle rain. I texted him and he said he was on his way down as well, then I heard him shoot. The first thing that went through my mind was, "Dang; now I'm going to have to clean this thing in the mosquitos and rain." I was right on both counts! frown

But he went home with a cooler full of pig and a smile on his face, and in my book, that's what counts. smile

By the way, it was a young boar about 120 pounds or so, with cutters about an inch long. No chips or wear, so he was a pretty young, albeit mature, boar.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Took this pic while turkey hunting,it's a Bull Elk rub.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dad gum, he's a tall bugger.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yeah,maybe someday I'll meet him or his son/grandson. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

595 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,632
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.